• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 is a mediocre game that is really pretty.

1e48392d8df59bcfbc11f7decbcac7a1155839151e5fece526e011d44ccd468e.jpg

I completely disagree but to each his own. It's a true masterpiece, up there with UC2.

Ratrat

Many people will only realise how good the Unchartd series is/was when it's gone for good. After playing the fifth medicore Reboot of Tomb Raider people will say "God damn I miss that one adventure game that played like a old Indiana Jones movie with believable characters, amazing gameplay and great humor. Too bad I was so bigoted at the time when they came out. I should have enjoyed them more!"
I prefer Tomb Raider. The gameplay, from the puzzles to platforming felt much more involving. Its ultimately more important than cinematics.

I never understood the hype about these games.... The graphics and the attentions to details are amazing, and the cinematography too.... but that's it

the gameplay is boring (especially plate-forming), the story is boring, the characters are not funny i just want to slap them! And i did play them all (a friend lended them to me)!I

They're not BAD at all, don't get me wrong, but they're not great either, but they're still worth it a low price!

Last of Us is way better IMO (it still have problem though, it's not perfect either)

It was a one and done for me. No real want to play through it again but the one time I played through it was an amazing experience.

Photomode is ruining pretty games for me these days. I expect Horizon to take 500+ hours.

Greddleok

The way I see it, there are two kinds of people. Those who like video games to be like arcades. Those who like video games to be like movies.
Uncharted 4 is for the latter, and why I have no interest in it.
Not played it, because I didn't like any other entry into the series, and from what I read, it's basically more of the same. It could easily be a good one of those kind of games, but it's so far down that games as movies rabbit hole that people who don't like that type will never enjoy it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's the same as all the other Uncharted games. You walk in a straight line and an Indiana Jones movie happens around you. It's entertaining but the design is so crude that I could never consider it a truly great game.

The way I see it, there are two kinds of people. Those who like video games to be like arcades. Those who like video games to be like movies.
Uncharted 4 is for the latter, and why I have no interest in it.
Not played it, because I didn't like any other entry into the series, and from what I read, it's basically more of the same. It could easily be a good one of those kind of games, but it's so far down that games as movies rabbit hole that people who don't like that type will never enjoy it.

Or get this, its crazy, really crazy, so hear me out.

people who like both! sounds crazy I know, but some people can actually enjoy a wide variety of videogames.

It's vanilla gameplay in a beautiful wrapper. I enjoyed the series as a whole, Uncharted 2 was a seminal moment in the gaming, but after that, it felt like that moment had passed. Uncharted 3 was woefully inconsistent and sacrificed story in favour of a tech demo on a cruise ship. Uncharted 4 was fun, but gaming has moved on much since UC2, and all it could offer was more surface and little depth.

Still, I enjoyed my time with the series. Uncharted 4 had some wonderful moments, but, really, it was something of a chore at times. Undermined by the vanilla gameplay, but saved by the incredible graphics and acting.

KidB

IMO, it's a great game that could've been a masterpiece.
It has the best gameplay and story in the series and it is a marvel to look at, but the pacing is lackluster, with its long and dull walking and automated platforming sections and it was a bit too long. U2 on the other hand, had masterful pacing despite having inferior shooting mechanics.

nkarafo

Agreed. There was nothing else in there except the graphics (or the story for those who care). The only thing that kept me playing for about one hour (i got bored after that) was the next neat visual effect or texture. It's like a glorified graphics tech demo.

Intel_89

I wouldn't call it mediocre but it's pretty by the book in terms of what you should expect from a game of the genre, with the added issue of it's horrible pacing at times.

It sure looks pretty and at times feels like you're watching a show.

T.O.P

Banned
TLOU is a fantastic game. I had way more fun with that than UC4.

The thing people may not realize is that a lot of us UC4 "haters" probably love TLOU.

Absolutely this, can't wait for Part 2...in the meantime the U4 dlc can go die in fire for all i care

thenexus6

I had a great time playing the game

Gorgeous visuals
Soundtrack
Gameplay
Set pieces

But after I finished the game I kinda never thought about it again.. it just slipped from my memory and I moved onto other things. Where as other games stick with you for a long time.

The fact that this game won GAF GOTY despite all the backlash is pretty impressive and maybe telling of a new trend among the hardcore of the hardcore where story and 'feels' are put over gameplay and level design. Witcher 3 won last year despite having some of the most mediocre and mind numbing combat last year, and while the gunplay in Uncharted 4 was sublime there was just so very little of it i was bored playing an Uncharted game for the first time ever.

You are kidding yourself if you think GAF is the "hardcore of the hardcore". GAF entails a huge crowd of casual gamers.
When I say "casual" gamer I merely mean that in terms of expendable time for gaming. And with that comes the fact that a lot of us spend their little time on the few AAA releases and maybe 1 or 2 guilty pleasures (MP game, backlog clearing, replaying old games).

So yes, while about 95% have an opinion on hardest of hardcore issues, like 30v60FPS, chromatic abberration and frametiming, I really don't believe that a lot of us play (thoroughly through) extensively more than 10 games per year.

The game is fucking boring if you are not heavily invested in its cartoon'esque cast and its story

The thing is, even the story is kind of aimless for long periods of time. Like they wrote the tale of Nate and the cast but then realized that only fit like three areas so they had to add all this dumb shit in the middle. Like "Oh this clue lead to another clue across the area! Let's go there!" which happens MORE THAN ONCE SOMEHOW.

score01

I wouldn't say mediocre - I would say different to what was expected. I have platinumed all three of the PS3 uncharteds but have barely started a second play through of UC4. The game was good and I enjoyed my play initial play through but I think the injection of TLOU style pacing / story changed the game for the worse.

I think it's fair to say nobody wanted UC to be TLOU.

I think I would have preferred Amy Hennigs original story of his bro out for revenge. As a character I didn't really like nates brother. I would have preferred more time with the original gang.

Arion

Uncharted 4 definitely had the potential to be a fantastic action game. The combat systems were the best in the series but there just wasn't enough combat sections to take advantage of it.

I feel the developers were too caught up with telling a story to end the series that they forgot to make an engaging gameplay experience. They decided to have a ton of walking and climbing sections to fill them with ambient dialogue and flesh out the story.

If they replaced those boring sections with more combat and action it would have been a much better game but perhaps a worse story. I guess ultimately the developer's priority was story over gameplay and this was the end result. Real shame.

Neff

I hold the unpopular opinion that the gameplay of TLoU far outclasses its story.

Agreed. I've come round to thinking that TLoU is actually a pretty awesome game over the years, despite still finding the story/writing cliché as hell and the characters inherently dislikeable.

Regarding comparisons to Uncharted 4, it manages to avoid that game's deathly dull walking/talking scenes by simultaneously allowing for the exciting discovery of resources and power ups, which of course you desperately need since they're far from abundant. It's also a less linearly-structured game than Uncharted 4 is, with a nice amount of explorable rooms, floors and locked doors. It's simply a much better (and quite different) formula imo.

Many people will only realise how good the Unchartd series is/was when it's gone for good. After playing the fifth medicore Reboot of Tomb Raider people will say "God damn I miss that one adventure game that played like a old Indiana Jones movie with believable characters, amazing gameplay and great humor. Too bad I was so bigoted at the time when they came out. I should have enjoyed them more!"

I vastly prefer the modern Tomb Raider games (2013 and Rise) over Uncharted. The Characterisation and writing in TR is probably actually worse, but the traversal, obstacles, puzzles, abilities, combat and environment design outclass anything in Uncharted by a country mile, and that's ultimately what matters for me.

If that makes me a bigot, then I guess I'm a bigot, lol.

There's lots of filler, atrocious pacing, and tonal inconsistency with the rest of the series. The gameplay is fun when it's trying to be fun and not a walk and talk extravaganza. It has a lot of high points and technical mastery yet again from ND, but they need to learn how to not be so full of themselves and maybe if they'd dial a few aspects back their budgets and production length wouldn't be as taxing.

I loved it. I've a got a theory about why there is a such a divergence of opinion on this game. I can't be arsed to type it all out but it's all about suspension of disbelief. Some people are happy to be sucked into the "world" of the game are are happy to accept the conceits at face value - "Oh wow, look at that view I'm climbing above, this is amazing", other people just see the same climbing mechanic with a different back-drop.

Greddleok

Or get this, its crazy, really crazy, so hear me out.

people who like both! sounds crazy I know, but some people can actually enjoy a wide variety of video games.

Of course there are people who like both, but in general, I think they're more rare than those who enjoy one kind more than another. At least from my experience.

I loved it. I've a got a theory about why there is a such a divergence of opinion on this game. I can't be arsed to type it all out but it's all about suspension of disbelief. Some people are happy to be sucked into the "world" of the game are are happy to accept the conceits at face value - "Oh wow, look at that view I'm climbing above, this is amazing", other people just see the same climbing mechanic with a different back-drop.

Oh I was usually awe-struck by the visuals and what I was seeing because it looked amazing. But on replays, the repetition and pacing issues become more and more apparent. And it takes a lot for me to stop and go, okay, maybe this is just way too much and far too indulgent.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The spectacle of Uncharted is part of what makes the series great. The satisfaction of its gameplay is debatable but as a piece of entertainment, Uncharted 4 (and the rest) are really great. In any case, I think that 'mediocre' is a strong word and a bit harsh.

Of course there are people who like both, but in general, I think they're more rare than those who enjoy one kind more than another. At least from my experience.

All we can do is guess based on personal experiences, of which mine seem to differ from yours. IMO theres a larger gap between mobile/facebook type gamers and pc/console gamers than there is between people enjoying arcadey vs cinematic driven games.

I might be eccentric, but even though some of the best games have minimal cutscenes (ie. Half Life), I also absolutely loved things like noticing all the little human mess details in Nates house.

GAF GOTY formula will always be the linear story-driven singleplayer offline game with the most expensive production values in any given year. That's what GAF's older demo goes for.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Bigoted...?
giphy.gif

GAF GOTY formula will always be the linear story-driven singleplayer offline game with the most expensive production values in any given year. That's what GAF's older demo goes for.
Yes that do seem to be the case with majority of the votes. But at the same time people like their hooking show pieces.

ajjow

Got done playing UC4 not long ago and I have to say, I am througly unimpressed. Now let me preface this by saying that I love Naughty Dog and have loved every series/game they've made since Crash Bandicoot, so I say this with great sadness when it comes to the Uncharted series.

I took a break from the series after being disappointed with the first UC, and after all the hype about every entry after that I decided to finally play the fourth one. Other than the somewhat impressive set pieces and great graphics, nothing was impressive or even lived up to the pedigree of ND. The story didn't know if it wanted to be rumpus or reflective, and never did I feel that I was getting a better grasp of the gameplay. The entire game just felt stale. The stealth wasn't rewarding, the climbing offered no challenge (Hell, give me a stamina meter at least), and the gunplay was... meh.

Honestly, I'm still baffled as to how ND never was able to capture the same gaming bliss that they have had with CB, Jak and TLOU.

Im on chapter 13 and I cant go on.
I loved uncharted 2 and 3. But uncharted is such a bad game. The constant change in direction is pretty clear here. The game starts really well but never increase the pace. Uncharted is supposed to be indiana jones on steroids. The lack of chloe until now really is a bad idea. She's drake in woman clothes.

Spladam

Uncharted 4 came with my PS4 slim, and I bought the collection disk with the console because I've never owned a PS3. Have only played a little of the first one, and U4 is still in it's shrink wrap.

My question is this: Should I play the collection first? Do I need to play the other 3, or rather, would it take away from the experience to play them out of order? I want to see what the game that came with my console is all about, especially given the hype (quite a few of the game informer reviewers put it high on their GOTY list, many in the first spot), but should I play through the others first?

People are just way tougher on it bc it's ND and uc4

That's really weird, if so. The game has easily identifiable problems regardless of who made it. I get having high standards because of pedigree, but I'm not really "tougher" about it because it's Naughty Dog. I'm a huge fan of Naughty Dog and I didn't care for The Last of Us either for similar reasons.

dr_rus

The game is fucking boring if you are not heavily invested in its cartoon'esque cast and its story

You would expect that most people playing a fourth installment in the series would be "heavily invested" in these things by default.

And no, this isn't the issue of UC4. The game have other issues.

JayEH

I agree. Very disappointed with this game. Liked all previous UCs but struggled to finish this one. The best (and really only big set piece) was the one they showed off at e3. I was expecting more of those. Gunplay was ok but the encounters were all the same, too much downtime between encounters, constant walking, talking, climbing, and poor writing.

You would expect that most people playing a fourth installment in the series would be "heavily invested" in these things by default.

He could be talking about the pacing, which is a slog especially in the first half. I've played them all and really like the characters/story too but there's stretches upon stretches of expository design that grinds everything to a halt and it really doesn't pick up until later.

You can be bored by something you're otherwise "invested" in if the storytelling/editing/pacing isn't up to snuff which is why editing for example is incredibly important in filmmaking, and where ND tries to make Uncharted movie-like in its presentation, that also applies here.

A big reason why people think 2 is the best is because it moves along at a much better clip. 3 and 4 had a lot of padding and slowness. Who thought the opening with running across rooftops with Sam for what feels like an eternity because of how useless it is was a good idea, for example? It's just completely detrimental to the flow of the game, and it's bogged down by a lot of this sort of thing.

Intel_89

Uncharted 4 came with my PS4 slim, and I bought the collection disk with the console because I've never owned a PS3. Have only played a little of the first one, and U4 is still in it's shrink wrap.

My question is this: Should I play the collection first? Do I need to play the other 3, or rather, would it take away from the experience to play them out of order? I want to see what the game that came with my console is all about, especially given the hype (quite a few of the game informer reviewers put it high on their GOTY list, many in the first spot), but should I play through the others first?

Yeah, you should get to know the characters otherwise most of the endearing moments of UC4 will be lost on you since you don't know any of the characters prior to that. You should also not play them on Crushing difficulty just for the sake of trophy collecting, it'll most likely than not sour your experience.

KORNdoggy

No such thing as a mediocre Uncharted game, least not on the consoles.

Those who think the combat is boring must be playing it like the average cover shooter rather than styling all over the place with the options the playgrounds give you.

this

best uncharted imo

labaronx

I feel like this is a weekly thread now.

Pretty much since uncharted 4 released, we get one of these, i get not liking something thats popular but these threads are usually full of the same people....they'll like be replaced soon with the "i didn't like horizon ZD" weekly threads....

Uncharted 4 has its problems but the overall package was still better than most

best uncharted imo

Oh that stuff is great when it finally arrives a third of the way through the game. I think Scotland is pretty much the first instance of the gameplay openness? That, Madagascar, and some scenarios in the jungle/New Devon were terrific. But they're unfortunately by no means the bulk of the game, and to me felt like "treats" for sticking with the story instead of the other way around. Had the majority of Uncharted 4 been comprised of these excellent "playground" gameplay/combat scenarios, it'd have been the best in the series bar none.

The reality is that when they come, they're great, but there's a lot of walk and talk, exposition, and full chapters of what feels like just not much at all happening. And marriage drama. I do like the exploration bits too like when you're in the open ocean environment with the boat, that was great. I just wish the majority of the game were that stuff instead of what it is.

Intel_89

I feel like this is a weekly thread now.

The same will happen with Horizon, Uncharted 4 was hyped as hell and a lot of people picked their PS4 bundled with the game so yeah, this was bound to happen and will most likely happen again with Horizon.

Lernaean

Banned
This is very ironic.

Not really. A lot of people, including me, find TLoU to be magnitudes better than UC, especially UC4.

And I disagree with OP. UC4 is not a mediocre game for me. It's straight up bad. Only game in the last few years that I struggled to finish, as i was bored to death.

Top Bottom