• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Taiko Drum Master DS (Taiko no Tatsujin DS)

pn18

Banned
THIS FREAKN GAME BLOWS MY MIND CONSTANTLY
Oh my God, oh fucking Lord, this game is insane. It's easily (yeah, easily) the best DS game of all time. Probably the best game ever. Trust me, I have played them all, but compared to Taiko they're just rubbish.
Even if Retro makes a 2,5D Metroid game for the DS (and I'm talking about a perfect game), it won't beat Taiko Drum Master. It's not going to happen. Period.

For those who have no idea what Taiko Drum Master is:
It's comparable to Donkey Konga, but only with one "Bongo" if you will. Just one drum and you have to hit the drum sideways. That's it. That's the whole control scheme. It might sound easy compared to games like Guitar Hero, but trust me, it's not.

See for yourself.

For now, I have played only two songs:
Mario Bros. Theme which is simply mind blowing
and
William Tell Overture which is - well, face it - impossible to complete perfectly.

The other songs are really bizarre (J-Pop and genres like that), but the video games and classical songs are just awesome. There's a remix of old Namco tunes I'll try later using pacman sounds for my drum. That's another huge part of the game: Customization. As I said, you can use different samples for your drum and you can dress/color your character.

Ok, what else to say about this game?

Yeah, it's Japanese. JAPANESE. And I'm not only talking about the language. Everything - character design, music selection, gameplay - is Japanese. And that's why it has never been released outside Japan (at least the DS version). It's kinda sad, because this title has enormous potential and it's just fun to play.

However, anyone else playing TDMDS? Feel free to post your scores!

pn18

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
What do you think of the included drumstick styli?
I have bought it used on ebay. Neither the box, nor the styli were included. :(

However, I prefer playing with one stylus or just with my fingertips.

Jazzem

Aww no, you didn't get the styli? :( Still, two normal styli should do the trick. I'd really advise it, as some drum rolls really need two.

Great little game, though the soundtrack isn't as strong/consistent as Ouendan.

BUT there is a second one coming out next month!

Woaaah, that's news to me :O

pn18

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
If only you could download styli
:lol
That would be great. Otherwise paying €20,10+shipping for 3 japanese games isn't that bad.

Time to post some scores (please keep I'm mind that I'm only playing for two days now):
Mario Bros.:
smum9y.jpg

*awwwwrrrrrrrrr*

William Tell Overture:
9i8pdl.jpg

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Despite the slight bit of hyperbole in the OT, Taiko DS is pretty fantastic. I love, love, love me some Taiko games.

TaikonoTatsujinCollection.jpg

Now you just need to buy the aforementioned sequel that comes out next month, and you'll have a shiny new pair of Taiko styli.
615gtxz4cNL._SS400_.jpg
31VqzjG30GL._SS400_.jpg

Yeah, this game is fucking awesome, and the Don and Dan styli are so cool.
Whimsical Phil said:
Now you just need to buy the aforementioned sequel that comes out next month, and you'll have a shiny new pair of Taiko styli.
There's a new one?! :O!!!

ghibli99

Yeah, the DS version is cool... I find it much easier to play using the face/L/R buttons instead of the touchscreen... if the next version of the DS has multiple-spot touch support and there's a Taiko no Tatsujin game for that, I think it'd be cool to play it with mini taiko sticks. :)

Just coming in to show the love too. I have a blast playing my DS copy from time to time. :)

Also, I didn't know the new one was coming up so quick. Will pre-order it so I don't have to wait as long as I had to last time.

Barrett2

I just got the DS game yesterday; holy crap this is fantastic. The combination of JPop songs, Mario theme, and the classical music makes for such a wonderful / eclectic experience.

Having no Japanese literacy, I have no idea what the 'mail' you receive means. Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm thinking GameFAQS.

Anyway, what I really want is a Taiko game entirely focused around VG music, sort of like what they did with the Mario theme here.

Barrett2

Pureauthor said:
I'm thinking GameFAQS.

Anyway, what I really want is a Taiko game entirely focused around VG music, sort of like what they did with the Mario theme here.

That would be fantastic.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
PSP versions are way better.
I got them both at Frys for $10 each.

Especially hooked up to a stereo system.

MMMMMmmmm.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Segata Sanshiro said:
Hmmm. How does the drumming work in those versions?
Default config is:

All face buttons - drums
L/R buttons - edges
Nub - little bell instrument

The 2D graphics are very slick.

lawblob said:
Having no Japanese literacy, I have no idea what the 'mail' you receive means. Can anyone explain this to me?
They're just dumb messages to your Taiko from the various other tertiary characters from the Taiko universe. Point is, sometimes they have presents for you to deck your Taiko out in, and that's cool.

And dallow, how could the PSP version possibly be better than the DS version?

Trojan X

Banned
My friend got me the DS version as my birthday present last January and I've been playing it ever since. In fact, I got the game right now in my bag.

pn18

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
He was accusing pn18 of pirating the game. :|
I would say he's a dickhead and he talks shit. I do not only own a bunch of Japanese games, I also own a Japanese DS (shipped on Day 1) and an American Lite. There should be a pic of my collection somewhere on GAF, but I'm not planning to search a two year old post. However, back to TDMDS:
Just got 99% and a score of 500.000+ on the Mario Bros. Theme. :)

Wizpig

Hmm, i was going to post a thread about this, search'd and... well, i'll just use this thread.
So yeah, my question is about the second DS game of this series:
pa.121299.2.jpg

I NEVER played a game of this series, so these questions may sound noobish [and they are] but here we go:

Is this game import-friendly?
I can't read a word of Japanese, but if this is like Ouendan i'll gladly buy it.

Should i buy this or "Daigasso!"?
But maybe i should just wait for Daigasso 2, oh well... the japanese question is the important one.

Oh, now that i think about it, maybe i'll ask this one too: is the first DS Taiko Drum better than the second one?

Mallika

I love these types of games, though I'm not very good at them. :lol Can't believe I completely overlooked Taiko Drum Master DS.

From videos of people playing it looks really fun but perhaps would be a bit uncomfortable after playing for some time. To those who've played it, did your hands feel cramped or whatever?

Whimsical Phil

Wizpig said:
Is this game import-friendly?
I can't read a word of Japanese, but if this is like Ouendan i'll gladly buy it.
The menus are all in Japanese, but you should have too much trouble figuring them out. Someone usually tosses a quick menu translation up on GameFAQs anyway, so there's always that. Other than that, you're just tapping the screen along with the beat. No Japanese knowledge necessary.

Wizpig said:
Should i buy this or "Daigasso!"?
But maybe i should just wait for Daigasso 2, oh well... the japanese question is the important one.
I've not played Daigasso, so you'll need someone else's help here.

Wizpig said:
Oh, now that i think about it, maybe i'll ask this one too: is the first DS Taiko Drum better than the second one?
They're pretty much the same game. The new one has a little adventure mode that I've not gotten a chance to mess around with yet, but it sounds like a cute diversion. Of course, it also sounds like you need to know some Japanese to get through it. Again, GameFAQs is your friend.

Apparently you can also use DS Download Play to play the game on two "drums" at one in the sequel. Kinda like this guy's doing with the arcade version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Gr2uxEpE8

I suppose if you're only going to get one, the song selection should be the real decision maker. The new game has a The Blue Hearts song (Linda Linda...also in Ouendan), so I have to give the edge to that one.

Taiko DS Song List

Taiko DS 2 Song List

And don't forget the Taiko no Tatsujin DS Stand for the truly hardcore players (mine should be arriving next week).

tnw

Banned
i LOVE japanese games like these. That have japanese-ness oozing out its ears.

This game is sooo fun in the arcade. I remember stopping at the toys 'r' us on the way home from work when I lived in inaka and playing the game cube version.

pretty much only knew the doraemon song.

And I am kind of tempted to get this game for the DS.

mou erabudon! :lol

Kuran

Banned
This is a good place to ask.. I've been meaning to get me a Taiko game, and the latest DS entry looks like a good place to start. But I've read that it has a lot of story elements and a main adventure mode? Does that mean that its hard to get into when you can't understand Japanese?

Wizpig

Whimsical Phil said:
The menus are all in Japanese, but you should have too much trouble figuring them out. Someone usually tosses a quick menu translation up on GameFAQs anyway, so there's always that. Other than that, you're just tapping the screen along with the beat. No Japanese knowledge necessary.

I've not played Daigasso, so you'll need someone else's help here.

They're pretty much the same game. The new one has a little adventure mode that I've not gotten a chance to mess around with yet, but it sounds like a cute diversion. Of course, it also sounds like you need to know some Japanese to get through it. Again, GameFAQs is your friend.

Apparently you can also use DS Download Play to play the game on two "drums" at one in the sequel. Kinda like this guy's doing with the arcade version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Gr2uxEpE8

I suppose if you're only going to get one, the song selection should be the real decision maker. The new game has a The Blue Hearts song (Linda Linda...also in Ouendan), so I have to give the edge to that one.

Taiko DS Song List

Taiko DS 2 Song List

And don't forget the Taiko no Tatsujin DS Stand for the truly hardcore players (mine should be arriving next week).
Thanks a lot!
Linda Linda rocks:D

Whimsical Phil

Wizpig said:
Thanks a lot!
Linda Linda rocks:D
Indeed it does.

And my Taiko DS stand arrived the other day. It's completely worthless and utterly silly, but as a Taiko no Tatsujin nerd, I love it (it also comes with that little screen cleaner that's attached to the system).

TaikonoTatsujinCollection02.jpg

Peru

Count me in as even later to the party (for the whole series). I just got this and got so excited I immediately ordered that stand and the second game.

I just love this game. The concept is so simple, which is probably hy it works so well. Most rhythm games have a twist, this is almost pure rhythm gaming crystallized. Just getting down and dirty with that groove. I also have a fondness for the taiko sound accompanying various sugary pop and silly classical pieces, it just works and gets me in the mood. Already one of my DS favorites.

Top Bottom