• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Outer Worlds | Load me baby one more time

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alright, so I finally finished Outer Worlds, because it sucked when I started playing it. Well it's not much better now, but at least I can see subtitles. Well those are not that important, because I understand English, but still it's better to have them.

This is the laziest fucking RPG I have ever played. And I finished all Dragon Age games.

So...LOADINGS...they are everywhere, they are long and levels are super tiny, so why even have that many loadings?! Fallout 3 and NV was able to pull this off on fucking PS3/X360 with vast landscapes and loadings we far and between. Now we are in era of SSDs and that shitty game still loads sloowly.

But that's not the only problem, it's booring lazy, lacks any meaningful exploration, progress is constatnly stalled by needing to acquire bits. I know that theme of the game is brutal conrporatism bullshit and unhinged capitalism, but fuck me, it's so fucking lame. I am european-left myself, but I cannot helps myself but roll my eyes at something which is said in the game. Dialog also sucks and it's thoroughly unfunny, uninspired and definitely not engaging, after Cyberpunk 2077, this games feels like some fucking indie game from 15 years old devs. The romance and shit...well not yours, but of your crew members is so fucking lame and juvenile. Fuck you parvatti and your "can we talk" when you have nothing to say.

Game is either super hard, because you don't even know fucking level which quest requires (!!!????) so you either get ass handed to you or when you level up you moving down enemies one shot. Nothing in between, suffice to say that I never ever experienced such bullshit game design.

Not the mention shooting is woefully unsatisfing, even tho controls are fine. Well on XSX where it's running on stable framerate, when I started playing on One X...well not so much.

And last but not least, game is fucking buggy even now, glitched quest, spawning into wall, enemies somewhat spawn behind you.

It lacks variety, substance, it's lazy unispired and broken. FUCK THIS GAME.

If this is the Obsidian now it's a fucking bad purchase for MS. I cannot believe that these guy made best RPG and one of the best game ever made. I am talking about Fallout: NV and Alpha Protocol.

Only good thing which cames out of this broken mess is skyboxes (those are really beatiful) and this song, which I can recommed:

Patrick S.

Banned
I haven't finished it, only played like 5-6 hours so far, but I love what I've played so far. My only real criticism up to this point is the super ugly tomboy women, who are clearly designed this way by the dangerhair women devs who wanted to piss off their male consumers.

M1chl

I haven't finished it, only played like 5-6 hours so far, but I love what I've played so far. My only real criticism up to this point is the super ugly tomboy women, who are clearly designed this way by the dangerhair women devs who wanted to piss off their male consumers.
Well because the beggining is nothing like what are you going to do, the first section is bigges map in the game. However you still are subjected to LOAD LOAD LOAD. I mean if you want to have good impression on the game, don't prograss further. Seriously

M1chl

Seems like not many people have exprience like I do, shame. Up your standards people!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
All I can say is that I really liked it. I wasn't going in expecting a fully budgeted Obsidian RPG though since the publisher at the time specialized in restricted budget games that gave the appearance of AAA games. It wasn't my GotY, but I think there's a whole lot of potential in it and I really enjoyed my time with it. It didn't overstay its welcome. Had it been longer then it may have though.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Nice to see, that at least someone enjoyed it : )

I will say though that I'm not a fan of the setting of this or Fallout, really. I much prefer fantasy or clean sci-fi. Post apocalypse type of settings feel boring to me and I do think there was a *little* bit of that here. For instance, with Fallout... "Oh look, there's some wasteland. If I go over there, there's even more wasteland! But what's this? There's a rotten tree? IN THE MIDDLE OF WASTELAND?"

I do think that music video may be even more enjoyable than the game though :D

Last edited:
I know this game has been hated to death here on GAF, but somehow its setting looks very interesting to me.
Would love to at least try it.

wipeout364

I’ve got about 12 hours in and I am really disappointed so far. Characters are not great, the politics in the game is way too in your face. Combat kind of blows, gear seems yawn inducing. Overall story so far is meh. It’s just really disappointing for a game that is from obsidian.
Thank god I waited to play it in the series X the SSD helps a ton with the loading it was brutal when I tried it in my Xbox one X, it was so bad I only played a couple of hours.

MAtgS

But Microsoft HAD to buy Obsidian for TOW and Avowed because where else are they gonna get Fallout and Skyrim like games?

Oh wait....

Cyberpunkd

The setting of this game really doesn’t do a lot for me, I didn’t also find any satisfying world building. If I want ‘bad corpo’ narrative I might as well play something cyberpunk.
Nevertheless it was a competent game and I even finished it, which doesn’t happen often.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but it definitely has issues as well. It felt like there were a bunch of unfinished ideas or planets, most of the characters are really not developed very well, and the combat gets way too easy about halfway through the game.

On the other hand, I actually enjoyed the dialogue. I thought that the world building (the setting, backstory, music, etc....) Was pretty good, and I would definitely buy or play a sequel. I was also happy that it wasn't super insanely long.

Overall, 7.5/10 for me. A decent bit of fun but needs more work next time around

The truth of the matter is Obsidian never made a technically competent game in their 17 years of existence! Their games are always buggy and janky but they were excused because the quest design and writing was great, problem is those who made FONV/KOTOR2/AP great (John Gonzalez/Chris Avellone) are long gone and so you got PoE/PoE2 and TOW.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed it at first but was a major chore towards the end

I legit went straight murder towards the end of the game. Just killed every NPC in sight once I got to byzantium including town guards and fortunately it didn’t fuck up the quest line.

It’s exactly the sort of game I usually love too. Idk why, but finishing it was brutal.

I played it on my XSX so load times were pretty much a non issue (few seconds). Had there been major load times no way I would have finished it.

that and it’s also on gamepass so fortunately I never bought it

Last edited by a moderator:

M1chl

Enjoyed it at first but was a major chore towards the end

I legit went straight murder towards the end of the game. Just killed every NPC in sight once I got to byzantium including town guards and fortunately it didn’t fuck up the quest line.

It’s exactly the sort of game I usually love too. Idk why, but finishing it was brutal.

I played it on my XSX so load times were pretty much a non issue (few seconds). Had there been major load times no way I would have finished it.

that and it’s also on gamepass so fortunately I never bought it
Few seconds, however how frequent those times are. Maybe it's a game design, because you have quests which basically reuqires you to travel all over the travel system, so you have like 3 loadings just to travel. And then maybe infinitely more. Why the fuck is towns in that "loading walls".

Denton

I found it ok, decent, solid 7/10 kinda game, but coming from Obsidian and more importantly being directed by Tim Cain and Leon Boyarsky, it was definitely a let down..I guess they needed Brian Mitsoda and others from ex-troika to pull off that Bloodlines level of quality again.

The fact that I don't really remember anything from it probably speaks volumes, since I finished it when it came out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Few seconds, however how frequent those times are. Maybe it's a game design, because you have quests which basically reuqires you to travel all over the travel system, so you have like 3 loadings just to travel. And then maybe infinitely more. Why the fuck is towns in that "loading walls".
Maybe I’m just patient. Skyrim had less loading sequences but on the ps3 when I first played it they felt like they took minutes

and I put in close to 300 hours on the ps3

after that this didn’t bug me much

M1chl

I found it ok, decent, solid 7/10 kinda game, but coming from Obsidian and more importantly being directed by Tim Cain and Leon Boyarsky, it was definitely a let down..I guess they needed Brian Mitsoda and others from ex-troika to pull off that Bloodlines level of quality again.
I guess, wonder how many people were on the team which made this game.

Maybe I’m just patient. Skyrim had less loading sequences but on the ps3 when I first played it they felt like they took minutes

and I put in close to 300 hours on the ps3

after that this didn’t bug me much
Yeah but the difference is, that Skyrim has vast open "levels" which are interconnected by loading screens. You can go from town to hill for example, without loading. In this game tho? Not really. And besides the game levels are tiny, so I really don't see a point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but the difference is, that Skyrim has vast open "levels" which are interconnected by loading screens. You can go from town to hill for example, without loading. In this game tho? Not really. And besides the game levels are tiny, so I really don't see a point.
Idk it’s weird. This isn’t really true tbh. When you get to that world that has that chick who is like a guide/hunter and partners up with you (can’t remb her name or planet name) the world outside the towns is massive, and you never need to load any of it once you’re out in the open. But if you enter some small ass town you do. It’s weird. The planet you can explore is larger outside of town than all the towns on the planet combined, if that makes sense.

no idea why they did it like that

M1chl

Idk it’s weird. This isn’t really true tbh. When you get to that world that has that chick who is like a guide/hunter and partners up with you (can’t remb her name or planet name) the world outside the towns is massive, and you never need to load any of it once you’re out in the open. But if you enter some small ass town you do. It’s weird. The planet you can explore is larger outside of town than all the towns on the planet combined, if that makes sense.

no idea why they did it like that
Well only big city is the first, when you starts to go elsewhere it's going to be only small towns, not the mention. There is probably no quest which can be down at the same planet, I know that some quest on groundbraker requires you to travel through loading screens constatnly. I did not even used fast travel, because that would brought even more loadings. Some quest with parvatti, where you have to go to some chick, then you have to talk with her on Unreliable (aka loading) and go for drinks then talk to her on Unreliable, then finally go for some quest, buy some cleaning shit. And when you did that, you have to go scavenging for some other shit to some remote planets. It's obnoxious.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Well only big city is the first, when you starts to go elsewhere it's going to be only small towns, not the mention. There is probably no quest which can be down at the same planet, I know that some quest on groundbraker requires you to travel through loading screens constatnly. I did not even used fast travel, because that would brought even more loadings. Some quest with parvatti, where you have to go to some chick, then you have to talk with her on Unreliable (aka loading) and go for drinks then talk to her on Unreliable, then finally go for some quest, buy some cleaning shit. And when you did that, you have to go scavenging for some other shit to some remote planets. It's obnoxious.
I beat this game like 4 weeks ago and I legit can’t remember shit

can’t even recall a single quest really

Top Bottom