• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Hollow Knight (It hurts so good)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I gave up with this game. I don't like the world design and the backtracking. The map system sucks too.

Map system was wack, backtracking also not great. But everything besides that was so good including the weird lore it made up for those areas which were lacking IMO.

Davey Cakes

2D platformers are my favourite genre but I didn't get too far with this one. I got lost and it feels so lonely and kind of boring. The getting lost part is the worst though.

A good platformer needs more than melancholic shtick. I did get to a beautiful leafy section though. I think that's where I get lost or stuck.
You must be talking about Greenpath. That’s very early on. One of my favorite areas though. I’d suggest equipping the compass charm and checking the map frequently. Hollow Knight is a very daunting game as the map is huge and you always seem to have options open.

As for the melancholy part, I’d say that’s a key part of Hollow Knight’s identity. It’s possibly the most gothic game of all time. And yes, while there are parts that are a bit more lively with the atmosphere, there are others where you get seriously isolated. You go pretty deep into the world and the enemies eventually get really aggressive.

That said, there’s still variety in the map. You have caves, mines, gardens, cities, sewers, palaces, etc. Considering the choice of aesthetic, there’s still distinction to everything.

It’s probably not for everyone, but it does grow on you over time. The game really picks up after the first hour.

Last edited:
I’ve tried to like this game, but it is difficult for the wrong reasons. I enjoy a challenging game, but this just has some poor design decisions. For example, when running toward an edge, you have to jump much earlier than expected.

I couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong with this game until I watched a video from a developer describing what they went through to make their game feel good to play.

Last edited:

Aldric

It really is something special however I feel it's let down by the bench system. There is no need in my mind for it to be like dark souls on this front.
I don't mind checkpoints being sparse, people are going to reference Dark Souls but you have to remember it was a staple of Metroid too, like the only save station before Phantoon being your ship on Crateria's surface, or the long trek into the Phazon Mines in Prime, or the infamous 10 minutes long trip back to the Spider Guardian in Echoes.

The only time it really bothered me was the fight against Nightmare King Grimm. You're going to die a lot against this boss and having to travel through a long corridor every time was extremely frustrating. Just let me try again right away.

mcjmetroid

I don't mind checkpoints being sparse, people are going to reference Dark Souls but you have to remember it was a staple of Metroid too, like the only save station before Phantoon being your ship on Crateria's surface, or the long trek into the Phazon Mines in Prime, or the infamous 10 minutes long trip back to the Spider Guardian in Echoes.

The only time it really bothered me was the fight against Nightmare King Grimm. You're going to die a lot against this boss and having to travel through a long corridor every time was extremely frustrating. Just let me try again right away.
I think checkpoints are a good thing in this game but it was way too harsh in multiple times.

People might disagree but put a bench near a boss. Some are far too far away. Making the game needlessly frustrating.
I love everything else but it was a frustrating game at times.

i love this game for it's style and music, it feels lonely and hopeless but i'm always lost and i never know where to go , i never finished a metroidvania style game , it feels like im just wandering around with no progression but yet i'll keep on buying them hahaha

Orpheum

Great atmosphere.
Excelent level design and non-linearity.
Cool music.
Immersive story.
Good upgrade system, but kind of clunky controls as my only negative.

9.5/10
Yeah the controls and movement in general are incredibly hard to grasp. I finished the game around 4 times and feel like i still haven't figured it out completely.

Even worse, watching speedrunners do their thing makes me feel totally inept at the game lol

RPS37

Rack up another W for the Achievement/RewardsProgram/Game Pass combo.
Just started playing this on Game Pass because of this month’s Rewards challenge.
I felt like it was such a grind up until the first achievement, now I think I might be hooked.
Loved games like Super Metroid, Shadow Complex, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin and Ori.
This is definitely up my alley.
Also have to humble brag…looks amazing on the new OLED with Dolby Vision.

brian0057

Banned
Just started playing this on Game Pass because of this month’s Rewards challenge.
I felt like it was such a grind up until the first achievement, now I think I might be hooked.
Loved games like Super Metroid, Shadow Complex, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin and Ori.
Every frame of this game is, indeed, a painting.

DelireMan7

This game did something I was believing not possible : sit just next to Dark Souls in my best game ever list.
I actually think Hollow Knight capture the essence of the "Souls" than most other claimed "Souls like" missed.

A true masterpiece. Gameplay, world design, lore, soundtrack... Everything is perfect.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I can't really add much to that discussion here. Everyone has said all need to be said about Hollow Knight. That being said, any news about Silksong? I swear it was announced 5 years ago at this point.

I periodically check but it seems the devs will only announce the game's release very soon before it actually comes out. I would guess in 2023 but who knows :(

DelireMan7

I periodically check but it seems the devs will only announce the game's release very soon before it actually comes out. I would guess in 2023 but who knows :(
I think exactly the same. They'll announce the release date just before the actual release. Which is not a bad idea. But the wait is killing me when I think about it (that's why I don't look for news for this game). Hollow Knight is such a masterpiece that I can't wait for Silksong.

Top Bottom