• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Dark Souls 3 - I finally got gud

I have been waiting a long time to make this post, and as of today I finally can. So here's a story:

I have been playing video games my whole life, practically. But, for a while, games started to get a bit stale for me. So, I figured maybe upping the difficulty in games would give me a bit more of a challenge and sense of accomplishment.

Now, I have actually dipped my toes in the DS a few times. I played DS2 and gave up quickly. I payed close attention to DS3 before release and bought it in 2016, because I loved the look and atmosphere. But, like other times I gave up quickly because I was disheartened and felt lost in the combat and systems in general.

In 2018, God Of War came out, and I decided from there on out I was only going to play games on Hard difficulty. I did eventually beat that game, and it honestly reinvigorated my fun for gaming. However, I still had the From games stuck in my head and was always frustrated that I couldn't get past the first stage.

2RrxckL.jpg

Fast forward to about a month ago. I was fortunate enough to purchase a Series X. In general, I was a big fan of how both systems upgraded the visuals and performance of older games. So, since I remembered my good experience with GOW3 I decided to buy DS3 again and really grind and try to figure out how everything worked. Maybe it would be more enjoyable with the 60 fps patch and such.

Let me tell you, I took my time and watched a lot of strategy guides on YouTube. One of the hardest parts was always navigating the environment and figuring out where to go next. But, FightinCowboy and others helped me when I was lost, and it made a huge difference.

It's a game that gave me the biggest feeling of accomplishment. From beating bosses, to traveling to the next world, to winning my first Pvp, and finally beating the Soul of Cinder. The breathe of relief I took felt so good. And I have never felt so ready for Elden Ring.

d4RUr9q.jpg

ffEAr7W.jpg

EhIC1Sr.jpg

Before I conclude this post I'd like to give a special FUCK YOU shout out to Lorian & Lothric and Aldrich. I hate all of you.

Finally, I must ask the opinion of Fromsoft veterans: I have a lot of From games including Sekiro and Bloodborne. Which should I pick up next? I have asked for Dark Souls remastered for Christmas and may play the DS3 DLC up until that time. What do you think? I've been studying up on the DS lore since I didn't play in order.

TLDR Some noob finally played DS and beat it. He enjoyed his time.

Thanks for reading. I still have a lot more to learn about the series, but I'm ready and excited.

Lastly, I say to you all:

ldrdkjA.jpg

Edit: I love how I was excited to make this thread and I just got a notification for 1000 reacts on Gaf from it. Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Bloodborne next. Then demon souls. Save sekiro for last. It is their hardest game. And you can’t cheese it like you can other souls games by grinding, using magic and doing coop.

And yes they are some of the best games of our generation.
But where would DS1 and 2 come into play? I know 2 is kind of frowned upon but if it were you how would you place those? I figured 1 would be good since it has a remaster

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
After beating DS2 two times and playing DS1 more times than I can count, DS3 felt so wrong in every possible aspect that I can’t even begin to explain why. I trudged through the game out of spite just so I could say I beat it, but you’d have to pay me to start it one more time.

Duchess

Save sekiro for last. It is their hardest game
+1

I never even made it to the first boss.

The thing is that plenty of people say it's actually a rhythm game, and if you can nail that you'll sail through it. I could catch the parry rhythm, at all :|

I would play Bloodborne next because it's the best, then Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. You can skip Dark Souls 2. Play Sekiro last because as others have mentioned it's the hardest by a considerable margin.

After beating DS2 two times and playing DS1 more times than I can count, DS3 felt so wrong in every possible aspect that I can’t even begin to explain why. I trudged through the game out of spite just so I could say I beat it, but you’d have to pay me to start it one more time.
Well, if anything that give me more excitement to go try those. But why do you say that out of curiosity?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It was the hardest From game for me. Sekiro is my favourite but it's slighlty different from others, it's more like an action adventure game. Dark souls 1 is the best of four Souls games(demons+ds 1-3). Bloodborne is the second best game From ever did.

It's complicated you know:)

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I love Bloodborne to death, but honestly I would recommend waiting to see if the remaster/PC rumors are true.

I am playing though DS3 again now on ps5, just got Lothric/finale and the dlc left in my current run. So much fun!

If you have access to a PS5 I would recommend Demon's Souls next. It's going to be hard going from DS3 on Series X to Bloodborne with it's 30fps and frame pacing issues. Still a great game though. Sekiro also runs like a dream and the remaster of Dark souls 1 is also a great choice. All of these games still have healthy online communities as well, just another testament to their greatness.

Can't wait for Elden Ring ☀️

luffie

OP, you cannot skip DS3 dlcs, they bring the game to the climax.

Then play Bloodborne next, skip original DS. Also do not skip the dlc. This is the goat.

Last play Sekiro, it is in no way inferior, but rather a more focused game, you play as a shinobi amd must think like a shinobi. Throw away what you've learnt in Souls games, Sekiro is a totally different beast. Once it clicked, it has the best boss fights in action games.

I love Bloodborne to death, but honestly I would recommend waiting to see if the remaster/PC rumors are true.

I am playing though DS3 again now on ps5, just got Lothric/finale and the dlc left in my current run. So much fun!

If you have access to a PS5 I would recommend Demon's Souls next. It's going to be hard going from DS3 on Series X to Bloodborne with it's 30fps and frame pacing issues. Still a great game though. Sekiro also runs like a dream and the remaster of Dark souls 1 is also a great choice. All of these games still have healthy online communities as well, just another testament to their greatness.

Can't wait for Elden Ring ☀️
Bro I'm so disappointed. I bought the season pass and restarted my game. I didn't know you had to beat the game to open the dlc ugh

OP, you cannot skip DS3 dlcs, they bring the game to the climax.

Then play Bloodborne next, skip original DS. Also do not skip the dlc. This is the goat.

Last play Sekiro, it is in no way inferior, but rather a more focused game, you play as a shinobi amd must think like a shinobi. Throw away what you've learnt in Souls games, Sekiro is a totally different beast. Once it clicked, it has the best boss fights in action games.
Is there nothing I can do if I restarted the game? I didn't realize you had to have it beat to play them.

luffie

Is there nothing I can do if I restarted the game? I didn't realize you had to have it beat to play them.
Restart what? Dark Souls 3? In order to play the dlc? If you have beaten the main game and haven't initiated new game + then you can immediately go to the dlc areas, otherwise you have to replay up to the cathedral and meet Gael to access the dlc areas.

kingpotato

Bro I'm so disappointed. I bought the season pass and restarted my game. I didn't know you had to beat the game to open the dlc ugh

I did the same and honestly even though I was disappointed at first, I had a lot of fun making a new character that was a completely different play style for my latest run. At least for Ariandell (sp?) You only have to make it to the cleansing chapel, though I don't have any idea how difficult it will be on NG+. I explored the painted world a bit at level 70 with my strength build and was fine on my current run.

I did the same and honestly even though I was disappointed at first, I had a lot of fun making a new character that was a completely different play style for my latest run. At least for Ariandell (sp?) You only have to make it to the cleansing chapel, though I don't have any idea how difficult it will be on NG+. I explored the painted world a bit at level 70 with my strength build and was fine on my current run.
Yeah I guess I'll have to do it, but maybe I'll try ng+. Problem is I want to spend time on another from game

kingpotato

Yeah I guess I'll have to do it, but maybe I'll try ng+. Problem is I want to spend time on another from game
I agree with the opinion shared by others that From DLC is absolutely top notch. You can't go wrong either way, but definitely plan on checking it out if you play Bloodborne. The old hunters is absolutely mandatory!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No sir I'd be going in totally blind. And this makes me even more excited

Then I would certainly recommend the first DS above anything else. It’s first half is unparalleled, not just compared to other From games, but compared to every souls like or similar type game there is. Bloodborne is more consistent across the whole game, but DS is the gold standard template for everything that came after.

Then I would certainly recommend the first DS above anything else. It’s first half is unparalleled, not just compared to other From games, but compared to every souls like or similar type game there is. Bloodborne is more consistent across the whole game, but DS is the gold standard template for everything that came after.
Hell yes I love hearing this. I'm sure I'm going to get the remastered version for Christmas so that will be great

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But where would DS1 and 2 come into play? I know 2 is kind of frowned upon but if it were you how would you place those? I figured 1 would be good since it has a remaster
Ds1 will feel too old. The remaster is still pretty much the same old mechanics.

Skip ds1 and ds2 for now.

SteadyEvo

I can’t get past the guys that morph in snakes on the rooftop. It’s early in the game they smashed me every time. Quit. After beating Demon Souls, Dark and Bloodborne they just felt completely unfair and unbeatable. And that’s the very beginning of the game, not even a boss.
Anyway, congrats OP. Beating a Souls game is super satisfying.

I can’t get past the guys that morph in snakes on the rooftop. It’s early in the game they smashed me every time. Quit. After beating Demon Souls, Dark and Bloodborne they just felt completely unfair and unbeatable. And that’s the very beginning of the game, not even a boss.
Anyway, congrats OP. Beating a Souls game is super satisfying.
I must tell you those really turned me off. But, the rest of the game is not like that. Pretty much once you get off the roof you don't see more enemies like that. Plus you can run past it. I'd say it's a fair game. Highly recommend you try it again.

... also I made sure to kill that fucker on the roof on my second go around at level 100 haha

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I beat it and I did not get good. I just found ways to exploit AI patterns, upgrades, and overpowered weapons. It was mostly a drag outside of the epic battle with Yorm The Giant at the Profaned Capital after figuring out how to use the Storm Ruler. It is a shame it is very underpowered outside of that battle as Siegmeyer is so easy to kill early in the game for the sword and it has the best particle effects in the whole game.

3.gif

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I'm in a similar boat but instead of Dark Souls III, I played through Bloodborne as my first From Software game. I'm playing Sekiro now, and I think it's the better game.

For as much hype and adulation Dark Souls and Bloodborne get around here, they do have their annoying moments, there are some sections and enemies that aren't good at all, and they can get extremely hard to navigate and frankly, sometimes the dodge-and-hit combat can become too much of a good thing.

Sekiro fixes a lot of this, the combat is more engaging, the agility makes it a different playing game altogether with all the jumping and "hook shooting" around, and the art is a lot fresher than the old castle ruins. It's different in a good way. But as people have said, it's their hardest game so far, but I don't think that matters as long as it plays well, and it does. I would recommend Sekiro over Bloodborne. Especially if you have a Series X, cause Bloodborne on PS4 doesn't run that well. The PS5 version, whenever they update it, will likely be A LOT better to play with better FPS and faster loading, as loading is one of the biggest flaws of their games.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat but instead of Dark Souls III, I played through Bloodborne as my first From Software game. I'm playing Sekiro now, and I think it's the better game.

For as much hype and adulation Dark Souls and Bloodborne get around here, they do have their annoying moments, there are some sections and enemies that aren't good at all, and they can get extremely hard to navigate and frankly, sometimes the dodge-and-hit combat can become too much of a good thing.

Sekiro fixes a lot of this, the combat is more engaging, the agility makes it a different playing game altogether with all the jumping and "hook shooting" around, and the art is a lot fresher than the old castle ruins. It's different in a good way. But as people have said, it's their hardest game so far, but I don't think that matters as long as it plays well, and it does. I would recommend Sekiro over Bloodborne. Especially if you have a Series X, cause Bloodborne on PS4 doesn't run that well. The PS5 version, whenever they update it, will likely be A LOT better to play with better FPS and faster loading, as loading is one of the biggest flaws of their games.
Did sekiro get fps boost?

slade

Sekiro's biggest draw is the rhythmic combat. The only one of From's games that can compete with it in terms of fast combat is Bloodborne. Play Bloodborne first and Sekiro second.

After devouring DS1 (in my top 10 favourite games easy) and really liking DS2 I bounced hard off of DS3. Got as far as the first standard zombie that turns to a goo monster on some roof near the beginning of the game. Never touched it again.

There is a reason the Souls games are so broadly praised. Encouraging to know you broke through the frustration barrier to find the catharsis within.

It's difficult recommending what to play next, but I will endorse Dark Souls Remastered. It's familiar enough that you should be able to conquer with much greater ease and it's worth having it in your repertoire of first-hand gaming knowledge. It is the game that caused the eruption of the phenomenon (suck it DeS nerds).

There are only two reasons I don't recommend Bloodborne next, despite it being arguably the best in the FromSoft catalog: (1) there is a growing likelihood that Bluepoint is going to remaster the game and remedy its biggest issues, which largely center around performance on PS4 (meanwhile DS Remastered is pretty much without issue in its current state); and (2) playing Bloodborne will forever change your ability to enjoy the older Souls games if you play it before the others.

V4skunk

Banned
I have been waiting a long time to make this post, and as of today I finally can. So here's a story:

I have been playing video games my whole life, practically. But, for a while, games started to get a bit stale for me. So, I figured maybe upping the difficulty in games would give me a bit more of a challenge and sense of accomplishment.

Now, I have actually dipped my toes in the DS a few times. I played DS2 and gave up quickly. I payed close attention to DS3 before release and bought it in 2016, because I loved the look and atmosphere. But, like other times I gave up quickly because I was disheartened and felt lost in the combat and systems in general.

In 2018, God Of War came out, and I decided from there on out I was only going to play games on Hard difficulty. I did eventually beat that game, and it honestly reinvigorated my fun for gaming. However, I still had the From games stuck in my head and was always frustrated that I couldn't get past the first stage.

2RrxckL.jpg

Fast forward to about a month ago. I was fortunate enough to purchase a Series X. In general, I was a big fan of how both systems upgraded the visuals and performance of older games. So, since I remembered my good experience with GOW3 I decided to buy DS3 again and really grind and try to figure out how everything worked. Maybe it would be more enjoyable with the 60 fps patch and such.

Let me tell you, I took my time and watched a lot of strategy guides on YouTube. One of the hardest parts was always navigating the environment and figuring out where to go next. But, FightinCowboy and others helped me when I was lost, and it made a huge difference.

It's a game that gave me the biggest feeling of accomplishment. From beating bosses, to traveling to the next world, to winning my first Pvp, and finally beating the Soul of Cinder. The breathe of relief I took felt so good. And I have never felt so ready for Elden Ring.

d4RUr9q.jpg

ffEAr7W.jpg

EhIC1Sr.jpg

Before I conclude this post I'd like to give a special FUCK YOU shout out to Lorian & Lothric and Aldrich. I hate all of you.

Finally, I must ask the opinion of Fromsoft veterans: I have a lot of From games including Sekiro and Bloodborne. Which should I pick up next? I have asked for Dark Souls remastered for Christmas and may play the DS3 DLC up until that time. What do you think? I've been studying up on the DS lore since I didn't play in order.

TLDR Some noob finally played DS and beat it. He enjoyed his time.

Thanks for reading. I still have a lot more to learn about the series, but I'm ready and excited.

Lastly, I say to you all:

ldrdkjA.jpg
Get Bloodborne and Sekiro.
Sekiro is more brutal though.

After devouring DS1 (in my top 10 favourite games easy) and really liking DS2 I bounced hard off of DS3. Got as far as the first standard zombie that turns to a goo monster on some roof near the beginning of the game. Never touched it again.
Yeah but you should go back. That only happens once MAYBE twice. Plus you can run to him and kill him before he transforms. Everything else is reasonable. I'm telling you go back and try again

There is a reason the Souls games are so broadly praised. Encouraging to know you broke through the frustration barrier to find the catharsis within.

It's difficult recommending what to play next, but I will endorse Dark Souls Remastered. It's familiar enough that you should be able to conquer with much greater ease and it's worth having it in your repertoire of first-hand gaming knowledge. It is the game that caused the eruption of the phenomenon (suck it DeS nerds).

There are only two reasons I don't recommend Bloodborne next, despite it being arguably the best in the FromSoft catalog: (1) there is a growing likelihood that Bluepoint is going to remaster the game and remedy its biggest issues, which largely center around performance on PS4 (meanwhile DS Remastered is pretty much without issue in its current state); and (2) playing Bloodborne will forever change your ability to enjoy the older Souls games if you play it before the others.
Thank you for this insight. I want to go back to DS remastered anyway. I own all the games from From actually except that one. Maybe I can beat it before elden ring comes out. I think it's best bc ER is so similar to DS. And hopefully I can get a ps5 and BB will be remastered

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Awesome. Finished it some while ago including all secret bosses. Such a brilliant game.

Just don't feel doing all those covenant shit for the platinum

Last edited:
I tapped out about halfway through Sekiro, it was just too tough for this old man. Thankfully, I had bought it on pc, so I downloaded an editor and tweaked a few values in the game.
Even giving myself a decent advantage I still died A LOT, but I was able to see the endgame which had some pretty cool stuff.
I hope Elden Ring is more in-line with Dark Souls difficulty wise.

I tapped out about halfway through Sekiro, it was just too tough for this old man. Thankfully, I had bought it on pc, so I downloaded an editor and tweaked a few values in the game.
Even giving myself a decent advantage I still died A LOT, but I was able to see the endgame which had some pretty cool stuff.
I hope Elden Ring is more in-line with Dark Souls difficulty wise.
Definitely seems that way based on the beta tests. Looks like the most approachable From game

Top Bottom