• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Lore' podcast being turned into a TV show by producers of Walking Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/gale-anne-hurd-ben-silverman-886080

Gale Anne Hurd is pushing deeper into the horror space.

The Walking Dead executive producer is teaming with Ben Silverman and Howard T. Owens' Propagate Content to adapt popular podcast Lore as an hourlong anthology series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A network is not yet attached; Propagate will shop the series to broadcast and cable.

Lore, created by Aaron Mahnke, has more than 2 million listeners each month tuning in for the 100 percent fact-based tales that are brought to life via heavily researched eyewitness accounts, documented stories and historical events. The podcast, one of iTunes' Best of 2015, was launched in March 2015 and in more than 30 installments explored the true origins of pop culture's most legendary horror characters and myths such as vampires, zombies, werewolves, ghosts, serial killers and witches.
The anthology will, like the podcast, offer a blend of narration, historical mixed media and cinematically shot scripted scenes featuring top talent. Each episode, like Black Mirror, will feature a new lore. Produced by Propagate Content and Hurd's Valhalla Entertainment, Lore will be exec produced by Hurd, Silverman, Owens, Brett-Patrick Jenkins and Mahnke, who also penned supernatural books including Indian Summer, Consumed and Grave Suspicion. The project was sheherded by Valhalla vp development Phillip Kobylanski, with Propgate development topper Brett-Patrick Jenkins bringing Lore to the company after reaching out to Mahnke.
"Serial inadvertently created a completely new playground for storytelling and intellectual property. Aaron Mahnke is the Stephen King of podcasting," Jenkins said.

Lore marks Hurd's latest small-screen venture. The prolific producer counts AMC's The Walking Dead and prequel Fear the Walking Dead as well as Syfy drama Hunters. She next has USA Network's Falling Water due.

"I’m excited to partner with Propagate on this truly thrilling and disturbing project," Hurd said. "Lore is the real stuff that should keep you up at night."
For Propagate, Lore marks the company's latest TV venture following an unscripted series for Apple with Will.i.Am.

Lore becomes the latest podcast-turned-TV series, joining Serial, which isin the works at Fox 21 with Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. It also becomes the latest individual episode anthology series, joining scripted entries Black Mirror at Netflix and TNT's Tales From the Crypt as both look to take the seasonal approach of American Horror Story a step further

Ophelion

Whoa. That's awesome for his career. I do feel like he's been kind of been making episodes out of progressively less content as far as his podcasts go. Hopefully this can be decent all the same.

CornDogg

Hopefully there are significantly fewer uses of the phrase "it seems" in the TV version. Sometimes, it seems, he says "it seems" all the time, it seems.

That said, there are some interesting stories in there. Good for him.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Huh, that's cool. I hope he continues the podcast. The involvement of any TWD creatives or AMC kills any excitement from me tho.

Zombine

Banned
I'm just glad the guy is going to get a nice payday. Lord knows that us voicey people are more likely to get fired and replaced by Seacrest than we are to see any kind of money from our shows.

Lore is quite fun.

I'm just glad the guy is going to get a nice payday. Lord knows that us voicey people are more likely to get fired and replaced by Seacrest than we are to see any kind of money from our shows.

Really good point.

How many podcasts have actually made the leap to television, anyway? Especially ones that weren't already headed up by celebrities in the first place?

entremet

Really good point.

How many podcasts have actually made the leap to television, anyway? Especially ones that weren't already headed up by celebrities in the first place?

Being essentially fiction makes it easier since it lacks the boundaries of conventional podcasts.

I've tried fact checking some of the stories where he names specific locations and legends, and I think he's either adding a lot of his own material or using obscure stories that aren't online. That makes it better imo. So far I haven't heard any episode where I had heard all the details before, even when I was familiar with some of it.

I've listened to Last Podcast in the Left for years, but never tried Lore. Is it at all the same in tone, like taking the piss, or is it a more serious take on the weird shit of the world?

ryseing

I've never actually listened to this show.

I recommend it. It's good stuff even though his delivery turns off some people. I've learned a hell of a lot about folk tales and such.

Congrats to Mahnke. The podcast was struggling early on so it's nice to see him get paid.

entremet

I recommend it. It's good stuff even though his delivery turns off some people. I've learned a hell of a lot about folk tales and such.

Congrats to Mahnke. The podcast was struggling early on so it's nice to see him get paid.
Interesting. I thought was an instant hit. I remember blowing up big last year.

Can anyone recommend some good episodes?
In the Woods and Half-Hanged stand out in my mind. I've enjoyed all of them though. His voice and music are very soothing though, so I find myself drifting and have to restart.

I've listened to Last Podcast in the Left for years, but never tried Lore. Is it at all the same in tone, like taking the piss, or is it a more serious take on the weird shit of the world?
Completely different tone. Lore is quiet and slow storytelling.

kamakazi5

Nice, I didn't realize how popular it was. The thread on here is what got me to listen but the thread wasn't all that big so I assumed it didn't have a ton of listeners.

Awesome, discovered the podcast thanks to the GAF thread and been enjoying it since. Glad to see the guy's career getting a nice boost like this

Is this the first podcast-turned-show? Seems like a cool milestone for the medium if so

You just know that networks are probably going to start mining podcasts for more adaptations

Wow seriously? That's awesome news! So happy, it's one of my favorite podcasts. We should be hearing about a Limetown TV series any day now...

wmlk

Pretty cool. I've listened to a few episodes of the podcast and I think it could translate well to a TV show format.

Oh yeah. Lore is all about putting imagery in your head. Even if it's just a really good slideshow it would do well for itself, I think.

wetwired

Is this the first podcast-turned-show? Seems like a cool milestone for the medium if so

You just know that networks are probably going to start mining podcasts for more adaptations

Comic book men, while completely different was based off the dynamic of the guys on Tell Em Steve Dave Podcast, along with sharing some of the people on both

Coolluck

But when is The Dollop TV show? Lore already feels like there's not much to the stories and a recent one I listened to had a ton from an earlier episode repeated.

But when is The Dollop TV show? Lore already feels like there's not much to the stories and a recent one I listened to had a ton from an earlier episode repeated.
You sir have good tastes in podcasts :p

I got The Dollop for silly history and Hardcore History for my serious history (and Sawbones for a bit of both)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom