• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen quality and perf modes: 1440/30 and 1080/60

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF

This will not help. Only move the goalpost!
They'll still have to support the Series S as a baseline for current-gen UE5 titles so let that sink in lol.

Fbh

It's going to be "1080p" upscaled from lower than 720p, this is more advanced than Remnant 2 as it uses Nanite and Lumenl. A 4090 will probably struggle with native 1440p, UE5 is going to be a resource hog.

That sucks then.
Easy wait for $20.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is why we are getting PS5Pro. Sony doesnt want the tital wave of UE5 games coming running at 1080p(or lower) till 2027. PC will take a chunk of their market. They even said the same thing when releasing the PS4 pro

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had," House told the publication. "We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

But Im sure well get plenty of dumb dumbs, mad at giving consumers more choice, thats completly optional and doesnt effect the base PS5 whatsoever, coming into this thread to say

tHE oNlY ReaSon Ps4pRo eXistEd wAs To SelL 4k tVs

WE HAvnt ScraTcheD THer SuRfaCe oF whAt tHe BasE PS5 Can DO

wE HavnT hAd ANy TruE NeXTgEn GamEs YeT GuyS So HoW DarE TheY
The question is what do we get out of a ps5 pro.

The PS4 Pro got us from like 1080p to 1800p or 4K CBR, at 30fps. You could see that difference, even on a 1080p TV where you got this very high IQ from super sampling. What will the PS5 Pro do, 1080p/60->1440p/60? Is that worth $600 or $700 or whatever they are going to charge? How noticeable is that going to be, especially when the algorithms are better today than they were in 2017?

I know it's too soon to tell, but I still remain skeptical of what this is going to do outside of bullet points and digital foundry write ups, especially when the PS5 Pro is still going to not compare to an advanced GPU (that again wont be doing this native either).

Last edited:
the-office-thank-you.gif

I'd much rather have devs just bump down the resolution to 1080p and use upscaling or whatever tricks they need to, than play this stupid song and dance with a terribly inconsistent framerate on consoles while saying "yet it's 4k/1440p native though!"

It annoyed me that FF16 didn't just do this(outside of combat). The consoles aren't strong enough to justify native 4k for performance, and certain devs out there aren't good enough to optimize at 4k for performance mode...so why should I care about native 4k resolution in performance mode? The answer is that I shouldn't. Just give me a solid 60fps.

rkofan87

Gold Member
i know a ps5 pro is real?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? but do you gaf think we will get a xbox xx????????????????????

rkofan87

Gold Member

The PS4 Pro got us from like 1080p to 1800p or 4K CBR, at 30fps. You could see that difference, even on a 1080p TV where you got this very high IQ from super sampling. What will the PS5 Pro do, 1080p/60->1440p/60? Is that worth $600 or $700 or whatever they are going to charge? How noticeable is that going to be, especially when the algorithms are better today than they were in 2017?

I know it's too soon to tell, but I still remain skeptical of what this is going to do outside of bullet points and digital foundry write ups, especially when the PS5 Pro is still going to not compare to an advanced GPU (that again wont be doing this native either).
ps4 pro got us 1080 60 fps all the time og ps4 was 1080 30fps.

As long as we don't get FSR. By the way TSR works decently at 60fps judging by Fortnite (which I guess is always updated and use the latest version of UE5).

Overall Fortnite on consoles (not on XSS which is quite downgraded) running at 60fps is a great next-gen showcase. I know casuals who immediately noticed the difference after the patch. They didn't really know why but it looked much better after for them. They were very impressed.

simpatico

I guess that UE5 is still very much work in progress and with each major revision we can expect more optimization methods to become available to devs. Just look at what the principal graphics programmer at Epic Games (author of TSR) said here.

Original thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/tsr-feedback-thread/883977/16

More interesting tidbits:
If Epic is going to be more and more prolific in the engine space, it would behoove Sony and MS to work on console planning with them. If everyone could see into the future at these perf targets right before the next gen launch, it would make for some interesting discourse. I still use a 1080 GPU and am getting the same 1080p/60 on modern stuff (outside of a few exceptions). Still haven't had a game release that convinced me to spend $2000 and a Saturday going to Microcenter. Makes you wonder if the cross gen stuff has some basis in just being able to pull it off, since the games made for next gen stuff aren't far enough off that they can't reduce some settings and get it out of PS4XB1.

DaGwaphics

As long as the 60 is solid, 1080p might not look bad at all. People forget how good the upscaled final image can look. That shows you how much more optimized UE5 is getting, the Matrix demo was basically 1080p 30 + up scaling.

Now, sometimes the 60fps mode turns out to be 37 or 38fps with occasional spikes, in which case I take it all back. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I’m confused

Is it 1080p upscaled to 4k
Or
Upscaled to 1080p from a lower res

Remnant 2 is 1080p upscaled to 4k I believe.

Same with Returnal.

I’m confused

Is it 1080p upscaled to 4k
Or
Upscaled to 1080p from a lower res

Remnant 2 is 1080p upscaled to 4k I believe.

Same with Returnal.
The latter I'm afraid as it's an UE5 title that uses both nanite and lumen.

I'll definitely wait for the DF tech review on this before picking it up.

Regarding Remnant 2:
- PS5 and SX: Quality renders at 1296p. Balance at 792p average. Perf at 720p.
- DRS is in play in Quality and Balanced. Performance sticks to the 720p.
- All modes up-sample to 1440p.
- Consoles use Unreal's Temporal Super Sampling which provides a better result than PC at 1440p using FSR. Though DF could not nail Unreal's TSR 100%
- All modes look roughly identical but Quality is the most stable with the least visual breakup.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

You get diminishing returns.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC"

They are not wrong. I'm honestly closer and closer to selling my consoles and moving to PC. So tired of this... But then I'll be ttttttttttiiired... Of the stuttering in PC games.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Zuzu

Yes we need Pro consoles!

This was expected by anyone who’s been following how resource intensive next-gen graphics engines actually are. Sorry for anyone who’s surprised by this but you simply haven’t been following the facts and evidence which has been out there and increasing for years now. This was entirely expected if you kept up and understood even at generally simple layman level (like myself) how powerful these consoles actually are and how graphically demanding actual next-gen engines are.

And this is yet another refutation to those people who continually say “why do we need Pro consoles - these ones haven’t even been pushed to their capabilities yet”. Yes they are getting pushed to their capabilities now. With UE5 we can see what they’re capable of. They aren’t going to start to magically render UE5 games with full lumen & nanite at an internal rendering resolution of 1440p @ 60fps in complex single player games via any future optimisation. Performance is generally going to get worse as game developers use UE5 in increasingly complex ways and push the consoles further.

Maybe there’ll be outliers and in-house engines that deliver incredible looking games with a bit better image quality and performance. I’m sure Sony Santa Monica & Naughty Dog will blow us away completely by their next games. But by and large this is how it’s going to be for the majority of games using next-gen engines and it’s going to get even harder for the consoles as time goes on.

Imagine thinking that everyone should be happy to just let these consoles be the only thing we are allowed to use for console gaming until 2028. It’s madness, madness I say!

Again I repeat: Yes we need Pro consoles!

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
If the performance is actually a locked 60, I'd consider that OK. If it's "up to" 60, then that's very disappointing. UE5 has shown itself to be an extremely heavy engine.

unlurkified

Dude, UE5 can piss off till next gen as far as I’m concerned. Just not worth it with these garbage resolutions. Love Remnant 2 but it’s got to be one of the worst-looking games I’ve played this gen. And for what, no LOD pop-in of mediocre assets?

drotahorror

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC"

They are not wrong. I'm honestly closer and closer to selling my consoles and moving to PC. So tired of this... But then I'll be ttttttttttiiired... Of the stuttering in PC games.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

Buy RAM and m.2 SSD's now. Samsung 2TB m.2's for $80. 2TB PS5 compatible Gen4 m.2's for $100. Memory/ssd's are just priced so good right now.

octiny

Banned
Pretty much in line with resolutions PC gamers rave about with DLSS now. Native 4K is a waste of resources.

I'm a PC gamer, I play everything at native 4K. Heck, on some games I'll supersample to 8K & use DLSS.

For the rare game that I can't play at native 4K, you'd have a point if FSR, CB or any of the rendering techniques used in next-gen games on consoles were actually in the same league as DLSS 🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm a PC gamer, I play everything at native 4K. Heck, on some games I'll supersample to 8K & use DLSS.

For the rare game that I can't play at native 4K, you'd have a point if FSR, CB or any of the rendering techniques used in next-gen games on consoles were actually in the same league as DLSS 🤷‍♂️
Some proprietary engine reconstruction techniques are in the same league. You are also not going to be playing UE5 games coming out in native 4K/60 with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

people seems to forget that PS5 is 399 and 499 when it launched.
pretty obvious it wont last until 2027-2028.

PS5 pro here i come baby
The 4090... a $1600 GPU. Runs Remanant (another UE5 game) at 2160p native at 45fps. And that GPU is paired with hardware that is well over $2400 in total on the test rig.

And yet, some really smart people around these parts expect a $400 console with a sub $200 GPU, to run these games at what? For context, the PS5 PC GPU equivalent runs that game at 18fps.

It's like people don't get that as console power goes up, the engines made to drive these games and the features they push usually go up too. These games are not being made on 2013-2018 engines. They are being made on engines that would bring $1600 GPUs to their knees. And when we have GPUs that would run these games at 2160p native and 120fps, we would have engines then that would make those GPUs struggle to hit 30fps too. Rinse and repeat.

And yet console upgrades are bad.

Last edited:
I feel even more confident Sony will announce the pro a lot earlier than last generation because I'm seeing a ton of people, who obviously haven't been following UE5, contemplating moving to PC and not to mention GTA 6 will get unveiled next year and that game is assuredly going to run @30 on these base machines. But hey we've been asking for next-gen only games and as we can see there's a cost to those visuals... this game is going to look bonkers on PC it'll be a gigantic leap over consoles that's actually visible through YouTube

octiny

Banned
Some proprietary engine reconstruction techniques are in the same league. You are also not going to be playing UE5 games coming out in native 4K/60 with all the bells and whistles.

So what you're saying is, there is a couple games every few years that come out which are in the same league (but still not equal) as DLSS? Congrats, I guess? 🤷

If I'm not playing the oddball UE5 game at native 4K, that's okay as DLSS is still an option. On top of maxing out both raster & RT settings, where any future mid-gen refresh console would fall flat on its face. So I'm confused to what you're getting at?

The top end PC & top end console experience will never be the comparable in resolution, FPS or settings. Which is okay, because consoles are much cheaper. Nothing to fret or worry about. Enjoy your console experience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what you're saying is, there is a couple games every few years that come out which are in the same league (but still not equal) as DLSS? Congrats, I guess? 🤷

If I'm not playing the oddball UE5 game at native 4K, that's okay as DLSS is still an option. On top of maxing out both raster & RT settings, where any future mid-gen refresh console would fall flat on its face. So I'm confused to what you're getting at?

The top end PC & top end console experience will never be the comparable in resolution, FPS or settings. Which is okay, because consoles are much cheaper. Nothing to fret or worry about. Enjoy your console experience.
So what are you on about?

This post below sums everything up with some people oddly trying to flex on this.
The 4090... a $1600 GPU. Runs Remanant (another UE5 game) at 2160p native at 45fps. And that GPU is paired with hardware that is well over $2400 in total on the test rig.

And yet, some really smart people around these parts expect a $400 console with a sub $200 GPU, to run these games at what? For context, the PS5 PC GPU equivalent runs that game at 18fps.

It's like people don't get that as console power goes up, the engines made to drive these games and the features they push usually go up too. These games are not being made on 2013-2018 engines. They are being made on engines that would bring $1600 GPUs to their knees. And when we have GPUs that would run these games at 2160p native and 120fps, we would have engines then that would make those GPUs struggle to hit 30fps too. Rinse and repeat.

And yet console upgrades are bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom