• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen: Boss Fight Gameplay Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member

Introducing Tancred, the Master of Castigations, and his brother Reinhold the Immured, a pair of brothers with a rather unique connection that you'll face off against in this intense Boss Battle of Lords of the Fallen. Stay tuned all throughout the month of August for more Lords of the Fallen content as part of our IGN First coverage.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Missing the little details. No hit reaction from the boss, sound design is lacking, mechanics look bare bones. In ER for example you can get a feel for the iframes in your dodge roll due to speed change and transition into the vulnerable section. It’s a linear movement here that you can spam so it’s hard to tell. The little details add up.

But doesn’t look bad by any means.

Olimbox

Neo Member
I hope I'm wrong, but I feel a general lack of hit reaction when enemies are hit. That is what give a huge satisfaction in the from software games, you really feel you are making damage, and make you feel powerful. I don't see it here. But I'll buy it anyway :)

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Missing the little details. No hit reaction from the boss, sound design is lacking, mechanics look bare bones. In ER for example you can get a feel for the iframes in your dodge roll due to speed change and transition into the vulnerable section. It’s a linear movement here that you can spam so it’s hard to tell. The little details add up.

Same.

Added to that it seems to be a complete copy from the first game - as in, the very same first boss with at least very similar looking moves? - , which had these exact issues.
It wasn't terribad, but it was by no means good, either and lacked all those little details that make the FromSoft ones so good.

So... idk, I'm really not sold on this one yet.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

I’m curious what the budget, staff and time in development differences look like between this game and Elden Ring. I was able to 100% Elden Ring in the Xbox, and am going to start it over on the PS5.

I am very much looking forward to this game, as I was a big fan of the first, and the other games from this developer. The Surge series is very underrated.

stickkidsam

Can’t wait to play this game! The art design looks so sick (that cover art armor in particular 👌) and the actual mechanics obviously took a lot from Bloodborne and Elden Ring. Music is hard to say anything on yet but if they have an instrumental version of “Fear of the Dark” at some point I’d die hyped xD

The only issues I see are that hits don’t seem to have impact on enemies. The player character reacts plenty to bring stomped at least but I hope they can adjust that. Sound effects also are a bit hit or miss. All of it sounds wet and visceral, but there’s no punchy sounds. No crushing booms or crunchy cracks. Even with smaller weapons there should be a bit of that thwack.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Objectively it looks very competently put together, but I dunno... its just too close to FROM's games for me to be impressed or excited by it. When there's nothing new or distinctive it draws attention to what isn't there, which is a problem given how minimalistic in many ways its inspirations are.

tenor.gif

Everyone knows what game they're copying, but I didn't expect them to be this blatant about it lol

The parry/riposte animations seemed like they were ripped straight out of a From Software game.

The boss fights seems like a centerpiece of this game. The dishonored 2 like realities seems to be working well. I think I'll grab this one if the reviews are positive.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The parry/riposte animations seemed like they were ripped straight out of a From Software game.
Actually the animation in FROM games is better.

In Elden Ring you actually see your character using his foot to get his sword out but in Lords Fallen the character very fast get his sword out without any effort while the boss get thrown so far.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I’m curious what the budget, staff and time in development differences look like between this game and Elden Ring. I was able to 100% Elden Ring in the Xbox, and am going to start it over on the PS5.

I am very much looking forward to this game, as I was a big fan of the first, and the other games from this developer. The Surge series is very underrated.
Sounds very very dodgy ..

What happened to him?

Ahhh...I'm afraid he was elden ringed in the Xbox...

Oooff.

😄

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sounds better, too. The parry sound effect in this one reminds me of that dreadful violin sound effect from Hell's Kitchen.
You can have the best texture and lighting in your game but its the animation and sound that will sell the action and thats the part where both FROM and Capcom (Monster Hunter and Street Fighter) gets it so right.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

Imitating without intimacy. I hate it.

Soodanim

I'm glad someone else noticed the dodge roll. I couldn't figure out where the iframes were or if the whole thing was invincible. In this and the gameplay video from the other day, the dodge sometimes looks like it's done super early relative to a Souls dodge, so iframes are likely at the end because they want to establish the idea of rolling for evasion and range rather than rolling through things. But other times it looks like it's more similar to Souls, with iframes being in the middle.

I haven't done a deep analysis and rewatched, this is from single views.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Even in their youtube videos everyone is complaining about sound design and hit reactions.

Improve those two and it could look something special. Still pre-ordered though. I am a sucker for atmospheric medieval fantasy settings.

Bartski

Gold Member
Very generous iframes.

Hype deflated after copius animation jank on display in those extended gameplay segments but I'm still in, not at launch tho.

Fabieter

Don't have time to play this day one through other releases at the time but u definitely will get this..it looks really surprisingly awesome.

Rykan

I think there is a fine line between inspired by and straight up rip off territory, and as far as I'm concerned, this game sits firmly in the latter.

tommycronin

Actually the animation in FROM games is better.

In Elden Ring you actually see your character using his foot to get his sword out but in Lords Fallen the character very fast get his sword out without any effort while the boss get thrown so far.

Boss in LOTF falls like a block. They gotta up the animation game. Souls games really spoils us with their animations.

Top Bottom