• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for passionate love.. - Rockman X Command Mission first impressions!

kiryogi

Banned
Note: The passionate love bit is a lyric from the CM opening song "Jounetsu Setsuna" (Passionate Moment)

Whee~ So I finally got my copy yesterday, after waiting for a week for it to ship from Hong Kong XD Having already clocked about 10 hours since last night, it's been total addiction! Quite simply loved how Kitabayashi went about battles, I can see why he was so proud about it in the interviews.

Also, as I noted in the IGN thread, damn does his team know how to do an opening sequence. (Previous work being BoFV: DQ, X7) Although the song used doesn't compare to X7's "Code Crush", the style of the video itself is brilliant! (Just like the commercials) Anyway, enough of the little fancy bits, let's get into the usual catagories!

Story: Typical stuff for X in the beginning. An uprising by the Liberion army has occured at Gigantis Island, and the Irregular(Maverick in english) Hunters are dispatched to stop them. There's a bit more plot development as you meet the 4 new characters, but don't expect it to answer much about the X series in general :/

Presentation/exclusives: About the same content on both consoles supposedly, except that PS2 has an X8 demo, while GC gives you access to the treasure navi VIA GBA connectivity. Someone also claimed that GC runs at full 60 FPS while PS2 is only 30 FPS. ?_?

Graphics: A good improvement over X7's, but overall nothing really fancy. (I somehow think this game was coded from ground up on GC first though, then to PS2) You'll be mainly in indoor areas, so its all just the usual advanced tech. complexes.

Gameplay: Ah, what's we're all here for! Basically, you'll go through a main quest of 10 scenarios. (estimated 20-25 hours) All mainly dungeon crawling, no real over world exploration aside from your headquarters.(Central Tower) Infact, you won't even have that much freedom until a later scenario. Now, the dungeons themselves are pretty linear in terms of getting to your goal, no real hard puzzles either with what I've played. The treasure/item? crystals you find are open via dashing into them. You also need to use dash to avoid enemy detection or getting over traps. Puzzles are the usual stuff like: finding ID cards from an NPC, hitting a switch in a far room, or activate panels in a certain order. But the fun thing about these dungeons/areas are that there are locked doors you won't be able to access until later. (Like after beating the game or getting the key from a later source) You can also go back to previous areas for said lock doors, treasure coins (GC only?), secrets or leveling purposes. Some other things you can do would be collecting figurines, force metal creation or dispatching mechanoilds you captured into old areas to find items you couldn't get to, hidden items, and extras. (like wallpapers and song tracks) Part of accessing the locked doors is via the dispatching actually. I think that covers the main bits..

edit: Force Metals are basically accessories you can equip that can raise stat, help resistance, or other bonuses. You can only equip a certain amount depending on char. I'm not sure what happens when you break the hazard zone.

Now for battle! Command Mission mainly consists of random battles, and battles with onscreen enemy/trap encounter. (To note the encounter rate is pretty random, sometimes you'll run into a battle 2 steps from the last one, and sometimes you don't for awhile at all. Almost made me think it had a real high encounter rate at first, but hey it's actually random! )

Battle controls consist of *GC version:

A: Attack/Final Strike
B: Menu/Cancel
Y: Sub weapon |
------------------------ (Sub weapons have different cost in WE)
X: Sub weapon |
Start: Pause/confirm
R: Action trigger (requires 50%+ WE to use)
L: Rotation (char change)
Z: Shortcut button

Within the menu: Sub-tank, Items, Defend, Hyper mode, Run (Which can be mapped to Z)

You'll be turning turns at the enemy in a system called "Cross Order", while managing your WE (Weapon Energy) so you can pull off action triggers and sub weapons. (Turns can be skip or moved ahead depending on your/enemy actions) Typically at the beginning of each turn, you'll gain 25% WE then you're left with the choice of attack with both subs then the main weapon or you could pull off an action trigger.

Action triggers:

X: Hold A to charge up your WE to use as a charged blast or charge colider as X fire
Zero: Enter/confirm different commands within the alotted time and pull off a massive damaging saber combo
Spider: Play draw poker! The hand you get determines what special attack Spider uses
Massimo: Mash corressponding buttons to fill up meters to deal great damage with a laser
Marino: Slot machine! What slot you ends up with determines her attack.
Cinnamon: Twirl the Cstick to fill up hearts that will heal you and your allies
Axl: *don't have him yet. Enter DNA as button combinations to use transformations of previous Irregulars

You can also go into Hyper mode that enables you to do different and damging things with the chars. (access via menu) You can only use Hyper mode for a certain amount of turns depending on the char's Hyper capacity. (this applies overall, not just that battle. you can refill via rest or items) There are also more hyper modes to unlock from secrets.

X: X fire, more HP, damage reduction, and use of charge collider
Zero: Black Zero, does tons of damage with normal attack
Spider: Trickster, goes invisible, cannot be hurt or healed, and also deals more damage
Massimo: Demonian, more hp, deals massive damage?
Marino: Quicksilver, raises her speed immensely. (the next few turns will all be hers basically, allowing for you to bumrush the enemy)
Cinnamon: Iron maiden, more hp/defense? more healing.
Axl: Stealth mode, ?

Healing Life Energy in battle is done with Cinnamon's AT or with subtanks (heal out of battle with subtanks) Subtanks have a set % capacity and you use a certain % to heal. (IE 33% will heal a single person for 50% LE) You start off with around 200% total early on, I'm currently at 500% capacity myself. Subtanks are refilled by tank energy thats found from enemies or crystals. (I think theres items for it too, but haven't messed around with that) Usual status ailments also have remedy items for recovery as well.

Now finally, we have the "Final Strike. When you have 3 party members with no status ailments, and have dealt 75% of damage to it's current HP in the current turn, you'll be given the option to Final Strike. When you active it, you'll be mashing A/B/Y within the alotted time to deal a fatal blow. It's basically a flashy way of finishing off the enemy and also gaining extra Force Metal Energy. (Examples of Final Strike fun would be around 60 hit and dealing 12000 damage. I also must note that some FM recipes demand something like 100 hits or dealing 100k-200k-300k damage. Seems crazy to me..)

Sound: Not too bad, typical Rockman techno, though some of the boss themes are pretty engaging. There's lots of voice acting as well, compared to previous X games anyway. Also, it's presented in Dolby Pro Logic II for both GC/PS2.

Well that's that! I've currently cleared 4 scenarios so far, and now have been backtracking with the treasure navi while leveling up Cinnamon. (They gave me her at lvl1) I really can't wait to unlock some of the doors and do more of the unlimited forest. The posts I've heard about the hidden bosses are pretty exciting, not to mention I felt first hand at unlimited forest at how nasty the battles can get. (Like I was facing this SOB that was counting down from 3 and commited suicide, thus dealing 9999 damage to all my chars. I only survived thanks to Spider's Hyper mode, then afterwards I get my ass totally handed to me by the X1/X7 Hornet copter/walkers. My first gameover :cries: ) There's also some really neat hyper modes to unlock as I've noted previously :D So even though it's only a 20-25 hourish romp, the sidequests should keep me busy for bit. (And are actually fun, unlike XenoSaga2's BS G2 campaigns) Anyway, got any questions, feel free to ask!

KITABAYASHI IS THE MAN!

strike7.jpg

mmmkay. You know I'm here for minute one of the US release. Anything done by the team responsible for my favorite RPG this gen (Dragon Quarter) is a must have for me.

kiryogi

Banned
Whoops, XD Saves are done via save pillars *they give you the the option to go back to hq or save. Or the other option is after a scenario clear. In otherwords, pretty standard saving.

All I need to know is how I use de Hyper mode ( Fire Armor with X ) in the game.
I unlocked the Rockman X8 demo yesterday.

kiryogi

Banned
It should be in the menu, says hyper mode. XD (in katakana..) but it should be the 4th or 5th option in menu.

kiryogi

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
mmmkay. You know I'm here for minute one of the US release. Anything done by the team responsible for my favorite RPG this gen (Dragon Quarter) is a must have for me.

Even X7?

kiryogi

Banned
Not much to it, shows up when you walk or dash. Also seems to be part of his X fire transformation.

Edit: hmm it's blue now.. wonder why.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
MMAC has me on a severe Mega Man kick as of late. i'll definitely be picking up command mission the day it hits.

Link316

Banned
kiryogi said:
Someone also claimed that GC runs at full 60 FPS while PS2 is only 30 FPS. ?_?

damnit, if that's true then CM is gonna become a buy when its $20 for me :(

anyway, thanX fo the info

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I unfortunately have nothing to contribute to this thread other than: "Of course I'm getting this game."

First MMAC and now CM, my GameCube is loving all the Mega Man attention.

White Man

There's no chance of this game being funny a la Mega Man Legends, is there? It's going to be serious, right? Frown.

NotMSRP

Does the PS2 version have the rare items that are obtainable by some other methods? In the GC version, you need the stupid GBA connectivity to get those rare items.

NotMSRP

Still doesn't answer my question. Leading towards the GC version but still not enough confirmed info.

How do you tell if a console game is 30FPS/60FPS?

kiryogi

Banned
Welll maybe those aren't the correct numbers, but the article did say GC is a tidbit better like I said. (Musn't forget loading!) And those rare items you speak of via GBA are just treasure coins, which again aren't anything special unless you wanna be a completionist. As far as I know, I haven't heard anything about them in the ps2 ver. The X8 demo could be nice, but the game itself is coming out in November anyway. Overall, they're practically the same minus the little things :p

kiryogi

Banned
NotMSRP said:
The little things are the deciding factors in determining which version to get in a multiplatform release.

Let me put it this way, it's a pretty pointless thing sidequest collector's thing for the GC extra.

kiryogi

Banned
Breakdown:

GC: Treasure Navi connectivity, better loading, better framerate, visuals

PS2: X8 demo, maybe better controller? :p :shrug, i'm not sure how the setup is, I don't mind on the gc personally :p :

I really think this game was coded ground up on GC first.

I'm getting this import real soon. It's on its way. I've got a few questions.

1) How hard would it be for somebody who doesn't know Japanese? You said the dungeons are linear, so I'm thinking that's a plus for me. Is the game going to be really hard because I won't know where to go because I can't read what the NPCs are saying?

2) How do I save?

Also, thanks so much for the breakdown including controls. This will make it much easier for me to deal with the language barrier!

kiryogi

Banned
1: Well as with any rpg, basic kana knowledge would be nice, or you can try and guess things via paying attention to numbers going up and down. rofl. Although IMO, Command Mission isn't as intensive as something like Baten Kaitos was, much easier imo <_< But that's knowing basic kana and recognizing some kanij. (You should be able to guess the element kanji for equipment and alike since they're colorcoded. IE: Red: Fire, Blue: Water) The puzzles should be able to smack you in the face about them but if not, feel free to post here and ask.

2: The savepoints in this game are these small white and blue pillars, you can either choose to save, or in a later point in the game, you can also head back to HQ. Here's a pic:

save.jpg

3: Also for future note, about using the connectivity: You won't be able to use the treasure navi until you clear scenario 3. Once you do, there will be an option for it in the status menu. (Last option)

Field controls:

B: Dash
A: Talk, confirm
Y: Status menu
X: map
Z: map focus
L/R: camera
Cstick: camera

Top Bottom