• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokyDave said:
AAAAARGH!!!!!

Do we stop prosecuting all crimes until someone commits a crime bigger than the politicians and bankers?

I'm so fed up of seeing 'yeah, well, the bankers did worse' as if we should show clemency to all future criminals on that basis. You wouldn't propose dropping an assault charge just because people have been murdered before.
2011-08-11.png

Murkas

SmokyDave said:
If you really want to hate the feral young of England, read up on the Sophie Lancaster murder.

How big/long did they run this story for when it happened because this is the first I've heard of it. It mentions Rhys Jones which I did hear about as that was everywhere.

Still raging off course :(

kottila

I just read that someone got 4 years in jail for making a facebook group? How can that be defended by anyone, wtf is going on with the system in England?

kottila said:
I just read that someone got 4 years in jail for making a facebook group? How can that be defended by anyone, wtf is going on with the system in England?
After a quick look, they were inciting others to riot.

I have no problems with that sentence.

SmokyDave

kottila said:
If I made a Facebook group inciting hatred against a certain people and then that group was used to organise attacks on said people, would you defend the existence of that group?

kottila

Tasteless and stupid, but he did it as a drunk joke to his friends on Facebook and immediately took removed it when he woke up next morning. I don't see how it could justify 4 years in prison when people taking part in the actual riots gets more lenient punishments

Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result.

We've had stupid teenagers making bomb threats to schools as a "joke", but none of them got punishments anywhere near 4 years.

SmokyDave said:
If I made a Facebook group inciting hatred against a certain people and then that group was used to organise attacks on said people, would you defend the existence of that group?
Key point - it didn't. He deleted it the next morning and there were no riots as a result of it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, I thought those convictions were a bit inconsistent when there were people who actually did stuff walking away with basically slaps on the wrist. Since nothing actually came of those posts it's almost verging on thought-crime territory. I'm not saying they shouldn't get jail time, but 4 years seems a lot vs what others are getting for other things.

SmokyDave

gofreak said:
Yeah, I thought those convictions were a bit inconsistent when there were people who actually did stuff walking away with basically slaps on the wrist. Since nothing actually came of those posts it's almost verging on thought-crime territory. I'm not saying they shouldn't get jail time, but 4 years seems a lot vs what others are getting for other things.
It's a knee-jerk reaction to the usage of BBM to co-ordinate the riots. Now everyone has a bee in their bonnet about 'Social Media' and these people are bearing the brunt of it.

Given their intentions, I couldn't give a shit. Hopefully they'll think harder the next time that inciting a riot seems like a good idea. Mongs.

Mecha_Infantry said:
It'll make him too heavy.

It would give him more power, and it's not like he uses speed or anything like that as part of his game. Drogba is 10x the player he is and he doesn't have the height advantage, I would love it if we signed him!

kottila

zomgbbqftw said:
It would give him more power, and it's not like he uses speed or anything like that as part of his game. Drogba is 10x the player he is and he doesn't have the height advantage, I would love it if we signed him!

These riots have clearly gone too far when the different cities start buying and selling rioters from eachother

kottila

SmokyDave said:
It's a knee-jerk reaction to the usage of BBM to co-ordinate the riots. Now everyone has a bee in their bonnet about 'Social Media' and these people are bearing the brunt of it.

Given their intentions, I couldn't give a shit. Hopefully they'll think harder the next time that inciting a riot seems like a good idea. Mongs.

He made a joke Facebook group when drunk, woke up and realized how stupid he was and deleted it. That deserves 4 years?

kottila

SmokyDave said:
I guess me & him have very different ideas of 'cool stuff to do when drunk'.

Still shouldn't get 4 years in prison because he might be a stupid git. save that for the people who were hurting people and burning down shit.

Wrestlemania said:
Key point - it didn't. He deleted it the next morning and there were no riots as a result of it.
It caused resources to be deployed for no reason, that created the risk of additional damages in other areas due to poor coverage. Besides they're not going to serve more than 2 years.

Interfectum

kottila said:
He made a joke Facebook group when drunk, woke up and realized how stupid he was and deleted it. That deserves 4 years?

If he had done that any other time the punishment wouldn't have been as severe. He definitely chose the wrong time to do something that stupid. Being drunk is no excuse anyway.

Dead Man

operon said:
I see this thread is full of the bleeding heart liberals that has the UK in this mess.
I see this post is full of the lack of interest in fairness and explanations that has the UK in this mess.

Woo - Bullshit statements, anyone can make them!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Interfectum said:
If he had done that any other time the punishment wouldn't have been as severe. He definitely chose the wrong time to do something that stupid. Being drunk is no excuse anyway.

agreed, it was tasteless, if it did cause any riots i would have no problem with him spending the rest of his life in prison, and his family evicted.

kottila

Someone doing something similar got no jailtime for the same offense:
Meanwhile a 17-year-old from Suffolk has been banned from using social networking sites for 12 months and ordered to observe a three month overnight curfew for using Facebook to encourage people to riot during last week's disorder.

Andrew Neilson, of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said: "A four-year sentence would normally be associated with offences such as holding someone up at knife point, grievous bodily harm, sexual assault, and I'm not sure that the offence in question was really related to those types of offences.

operon

Dead Man said:
I see this post is full of the lack of interest in fairness and explanations that has the UK in this mess.

Woo - Bullshit statements, anyone can make them!

and this is what caused the riots did it, get a grip. People giving out about no jobs then wrecking and burning down business, hows that going to get them jobs. Whats fair about burning poeple out of their flats and running people over, please do tell me hows thats fair

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It caused resources to be deployed for no reason, that created the risk of additional damages in other areas due to poor coverage. Besides they're not going to serve more than 2 years.

Are you some hardened crim' who has done time in Dartmoor?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
operon said:
and this is what caused the riots did it, get a grip. People giving out about no jobs then wrecking and burning down business, hows that going to get them jobs. Whats fair about burning poeple out of their flats and running people over, please do tell me hows thats fair
Some of these people had jobs, were graduates and had all sorts of privileges.
It's got nothing to do with being poor. More to do with the culture encouraging them to do whatever they want. These people aren't something new, they've always been doing these types of things. Stabbings in schools, burning down people's homes/shops. Nothing new. The only thing that makes it new, is that they realised that they could take it farther than their current circle.
The rest of the country was okay with this mentality. As long as they kept it amongst themselves, amongst the other poor people who have had to endure these people and their activities for generations. That's changed now. Hopefully, more will be done about the mentality that fosters these types of people, and encourages these types of activities, no matter where they might take place in the country.

kitch9

Banned
kottila said:
Still shouldn't get 4 years in prison because he might be a stupid git. save that for the people who were hurting people and burning down shit.

Maybe he shouldn't have incited riots when riots were on?

Maybe its just me?

operon

Veidt said:
Some of these people had jobs, were graduates and had all sorts of privileges.
It's got nothing to do with being poor. More to do with the culture encouraging them to do whatever they want. These people aren't something new, they've always been doing these types of things. Stabbings in schools, burning down people's homes/shops. Nothing new. The only thing that makes it new, is that they realised that they could take it farther than their current circle.
The rest of the country was okay with this mentality. As long as they kept it amongst themselves, amongst the other poor people who have had to endure these people and their activities for generations. That's changed now. Hopefully, more will be done about the mentality that fosters these types of people, and encourages these types of activities, no matter where they might take place in the country.

Exactly they think its fun, hell we had cars burnt out and police officers injured here in Northern Ireland all because 3 flags were taken down, 3 flags and the police actually apologised ffs

Dead Man

operon said:
Sorry if some of us are more interest in explanations and avoiding it in the future than just taking pleasure from watching the punishment of those who acted. As for your post, I can only assume you feel everyone in the riots was unemployed and cheating welfare. Your post does not really contain much sense, but if that was your meaning, you would be incorrect.

operon

Dead Man said:
Sorry if some of us are more interest in explanations and avoiding it in the future than just taking pleasure from watching the punishment of those who acted. As for your post, I can only assume you feel everyone in the riots was unemployed and cheating welfare. Your post does not really contain much sense, but if that was your meaning, you would be incorrect.

Never said it was because they were all unemployed etc etc, far from it. While the sentences for the facebook may be a little excessive, certainly people that were rioting should expect hard sentences and not lollipops and told to go home and be good

Dead Man

operon said:
Never said it was because they were all unemployed etc etc, far from it. While the sentences for the facebook may be a little excessive, certainly people that were rioting should expect hard sentences and not lollipops and told to go home and be good
Please point out where I ever suggested they should.

SmokyDave

Dead Man said:
The explanation is that we have been too tolerant and too understanding for too long. We gave inch after inch as some people took mile after mile.

These sentences, although harsh, are at least a small indicator that someone out there is slowly starting to 'get it'. Switching these people over to voucher-based benefits rather than cash-based would be nice. Destroy the emerging black market in it's infancy with more harsh sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom