• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Locale Magazine's top 5 food challenges in Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://localemagazine.com/challenge-accepted-best-food-challenges-in-la/

With the evolution of competitive eating, from county fair pie-eating contents to ramen-slurping, the culture has grown creatively in sport and people. We used to watch food competitions with solely our own eyes. Now, witnesses can record gluttony with their smartphones. We’ve picked LA’s five best food challenges that will make your mouth water and stomach ache in minutes. Relax, if you’re not feeling audacious, these five spots do offer other flavorsome items on their menu. Now let’s exceed our appetite and gastronomically challenge ourselves into some gut-busting delights.

Fat Sal’s Deli
1300 Highland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90028

mQAVY1L.jpg

What’s the Challenge?

Although how sinful and convincing the name sounds, it is imperative we reiterate the unholy amount of goodness and size of The Big Fat Fatty. The Big Fat Fatty is a 27 inch garlic hero roll with five burger patties, one and a half pound cheesesteak, one and a half pound pastrami, chicken fingers, an entire package of bacon, mozzarella sticks, five fried eggs, jalapeño poppers, (breathes) french fries and onion rings topped with chili, marinara and fat sauce. The tricky part is finishing it in 40 minutes or less. The Big Fat Fatty name is certainly an understatement of the colossal creation itself.

What do you win?

With how victorious, yet repulsed you may feel after finishing, at Fat Sal’s they firmly believe they kind of owe you something: the sandwich is free ($49.99 value), and the winner can create and name their own personalized sandwich that goes on the menu at every Fat Sal’s!

Who’s finished?

Only two people have made history thus far, slaying the Big Fat Fatty, both of whom are professional competition eaters. Jamie McDonald created The Fat Jamie, made up of an endless list of Jamie’s preposterous personal creation, and the Fat Banh Mi-ki, manifested by Fat Sal’s other winner, Miki Sudo.

Orochon Ramen
123 Astronaut E S Onizuka St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

cGI9FbP.jpg

What’s the Challenge?

One person must finish the senselessly-spicy Orochon Special #2 in half an hour. No bathroom breaks are allowed, yet milk and water are available for assistance at your corner.

What do you win?

A warm belly, tears of accomplishment and your face on the wall.

Who’s finished?

Although many people have challenged themselves with the Orochon Special #2, only a couple hundred have won.

Manuel’s Original El Tepeyac Café
13131 Crossroads Parkway S
City of Industry, CA 91746

7QgrKVx.jpg

What’s the Challenge?

The foot long Manuel’s Special, consists of two burrito-sized flour tortillas, crammed with a mountain of rice and beans, El Tepeyac’s chili verde pork, all questionably-secured and topped off with a heap of cheese, and additional chili verde (because one layer was not enough), not shy of equating to a whopping total of five pounds. The behemoth of a burrito must be consumed within an hour.

What do you win?

El Tepeyac Café credits their winners with the same burrito that can be redeemed when they dine back, a shirt that pretentiously claims, “I Ate The Whole Thing!” and a bottle of Tums graciously waiting for you at your nearest Walgreens.

Who’s finished?

With over 40 years in business, numerous people have attempted, but only a few hundred have finished the Manuel’s Special.

Fair Oaks Pharmacy and Soda Fountain
1536 Mission St S
Pasadena, CA 91030

HOcIvH6.jpg

What’s the Challenge?

It’s called “The Kitchen Sink.” We’re talking eight softball-size scoops of ice cream, along with mountains of toppings. Expect cookies, bananas, brownies, and hot fudge and/or caramel. This beauty must be eaten and/or drank in half an hour or less, with yourself and a friend. Two glasses of water must be completed at the end of the half-hour mark to successfully win this challenge.

What do you win?

While you may be paying for a stomach ache, “The Kitchen Sink” is free ($40 value), and you win a t-shirt with your picture gloriously framed and hung on their wall of fame.

Who’s finished?

With roughly 50 teams who’ve attempted, only about seven pairs have completely devoured the entire Kitchen Sink.

Big Mama’s & Papa’s Pizzeria
321 E Alameda Ave
Burbank, CA 91502

uNphZFY.jpg

What’s the Challenge?

You need to sit down for this one: eight challengers must polish off a 54” x 54” size pizza with any toppings selected in two hours!

What do you win?

Apart from the respect of your peers and an anticipated burping contest, the entire group wins 1,000 dollars, and the entire pizza is free ($218 value). You also get a photo of your team boasting success!

Who’s finished?

Although attempted every week, only roughly three groups of professionals have finished.

Hiltz

...So even if you win, you really still lose. Just looking at those massive meals makes my stomach ache. Anyway, I just heard of Fat Sal's restaurant the other day. My family ordered delivery from there while I was at work, but some how the restaurant screwed up the order and had their food made by another Fat Sal's at a different location. They didn't get their food until 3 hours later after having to drive to the other restaurant in Hollywood to pick it up.

jb1234

While it's kinda nice to know how many people have won these challenges, does it mention how many of them have died afterwards from hypertension-related diseases?

Apoc29

DSH0xpg.jpg

That's approximately 1/8 of the pizza. I couldn't do it myself, but I would think an "amateur" eater would have no problem doing that in 2 hours. Or maybe the size is misrepresented due to perspective or something.

DSH0xpg.jpg

That's approximately 1/8 of the pizza. I couldn't do it myself, but I would think an "amateur" eater would have no problem doing that in 2 hours. Or maybe the size is misrepresented due to perspective or something.

The problem with that one I think is the crust looks really thick. I'm sure it''s doable for some, but I can just imagine how bloated I'd feel from all that starch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've done Orochan and they don't even put everyone's photo up any more. However it's delicious so I ain't even mad.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought that pizza one was going be for one person. Thought they were trying to kill mofos.

Hazmat

DSH0xpg.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't look that bad, but it must be worse than it looks. It having a cash prize means that it must be basically impossible.

The pizza does look pretty good though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What's it like? It looks delicious but I'm sure it's spicier than fuck.

I have no idea. I am often told I haven't the slightest clue whether things are spicy or not. And the bowl itself isn't massive.

I found it tasty and delicious and not ridiculously spicy. They do some weird thing where the spice level "ticks over" at ten and reverts to zero or something irrational.

Anyway, I thought it was spicy but not ludicrous. And the base broth is good, and if you get your noodles "chewy" it's a genuinely good bowl of ramen.

I'm positive that my fiancee can tackle that sundae on her own. I would eat the cookies and brownie, but the ice cream force is strong in her

sfedai0

Banned
I could kill that burrito and easily do my part for the pizza. Ramen is easy portion wise, but it would have to depend on how hot it is. The sub is harder. Could definitely finish half. Would really have to push myself to finish it all.

joe2187

Banned
I can attest to taking the El Manny's special challenge.

I have tried twice.

twice it has defeated me.

My father tried it before me...and he failed as well. He got close, managing to finish the entire thing...before barfing all over my mother.

One day i shall conquer it.

Feep

Banned
Heh. My office is 60 steps away from Big Mama's...I've walked in and seen a few groups trying to finish that. It seems basically impossible to me.

I've also been with a large group of people that attempted Orochon's challenge...three of us succeeded (though certainly not me). That was fun. ^^

EulaCapra

Where's the pizza challenge where instead of eating all that as a team, only you can pick off and eat the entire cheese and toppings?

Zaptruder

Banned
DSH0xpg.jpg

Compare the size of that mans hands to a single slice.

The area you've highlighted looks to be about normal 2-3 pizzas worth, more if it's thicker, which it probably is.

And most devastatingly - you have to find 8 equally as capable eaters that want to participate, because if you start having to pull the weight of your team mates, the whole endeavour collapses very quickly.

What’s the Challenge?

It’s called “The Kitchen Sink.” We’re talking eight softball-size scoops of ice cream, along with mountains of toppings. Expect cookies, bananas, brownies, and hot fudge and/or caramel. This beauty must be eaten and/or drank in half an hour or less, with yourself and a friend. Two glasses of water must be completed at the end of the half-hour mark to successfully win this challenge.

That's kind of odd. Why I got to drink a glass of water after the challenge?

My ex roommate took on the Fat Sal's challenge and failed after like 5 minutes. It took him (a pretty prolific eater of shit food) like half a week to finish the thing.

Apparently some fitness lady actually finished it this past week.

Edit: Oh wait she was a competitive eater nevermind.

I swear I ate pizza from some place that brought us a huge square pizza once, but we had a class of like 20+ college kids so it went easy. It was somewhere near downtown.

WoodWERD

I can attest to taking the El Manny's special challenge. I have tried twice. twice it has defeated me. My father tried it before me...and he failed as well. He got close, managing to finish the entire thing...before barfing all over my mother.
One day i shall conquer it.

Bahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom