• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LinusTechTips Ranks Every Home Console

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The SNES is certainly S-hit tier.

I will never understand the love for this system
It has tons of cool games, some of them still laured as best of all time.

A game console really doesn't need much else, imo.

Hudo

The SNES is certainly S-hit tier.

I will never understand the love for this system
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Metal Marines
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Street Fighter II
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
Dragon Quest V, VI
Earthbound
F-Zero
Secret of Mana
Trials of Mana
Yoshi's Island
Terranigma
ActRaiser
Demon's Crest
StarFox
Castlevania IV
Contra III
Kirby Super Star
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Metal Warriors
WIld Guns
Illusion of Time

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PS1 games were. Since day 1 with that crap "3D" without Zbuffer and the OG controller without analog stick(s).
There were some good 3D games like Vagrant Story or Gran Turismo, but yeah, lots of PS1 3D games aged a lot worse than those on the N64.

Last edited:
Not giving this clown any clicks, but my personal s tier would be: snes, dreamcast, ps2, x360.
Everything else I simply bought basically to play a single game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
S: SNES, N64, PSX, PS2
A: GC, PS3, 360, Mega Drive
B: Wii, Switch, PS4, XONE, NES
C: Master System, XBOX
D: Wii U, Virtual Boy

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I would move last gen consoles one notch down...at least... I don't think it was good at all. HW wise or game wise.

nial

Gold Member
wtf, X360 was the pinnacle of Xbox and really brought indie games into the scene, and Switch revolutionized how we think about handheld gaming. I don’t think we get Steam Deck and the newer competitors without Switch. Both have monstrous libraries of quality content. They should be in S++ tier
Opinions and all, man. 360 was the best Xbox, yes, but I don't think the first half was enough to be S tier, and the second one mostly sucks. Switch just has a meh library all around, IMO. Haven't touched mine for quite some time.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
wtf, X360 was the pinnacle of Xbox and really brought indie games into the scene, and Switch revolutionized how we think about handheld gaming. I don’t think we get Steam Deck and the newer competitors without Switch. Both have monstrous libraries of quality content. They should be in S++ tier
GPD Win is older than Switch so Switch did nothing for handheld PCs.

Thaedolus

GPD Win is older than Switch so Switch did nothing for handheld PCs.
You really think the Switch’s monstrous success had nothing to do with the fact we now have like a half dozen handheld dedicated gaming PC devices announced every week? Without that GPD’s silliness?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
FJqwen1.png
That’s actually pretty solid ranking.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You really think the Switch’s monstrous success had nothing to do with the fact we now have like a half dozen handheld dedicated gaming PC devices announced every week? Without that GPD’s silliness?
Yes. What did Switch do for handheld PCs that GPD Win, 3DS, DS, GBA, GB, etc. didn't before?

Last edited:

Fbh

Not too bad.
Don't agree with the Wii being on A tier though, the hardware sucked, the motion controls were mostly a gimmick and IMO it had pretty weak software aside from a few highlights like Mario Galaxy.
I'd also move the Ps5 down to B tier.

Thaedolus

Yes. What did Switch do for handheld PCs that GPD Win, 3DS, DS, GBA, GB, etc. didn't before?
None of those instantly went from tiny handheld screen to fully featured home console just by dropping it into a provided dock. How many pro controllers can you wirelessly pair to a 3DS and have 6 player Smash Bros sessions on a big screen? And the greatest innovation of all: a big, sturdy, durable kickstand we all know was a defining feature never once thought up in the annals of time.

switch, x360, and ps4 are not S lol
wii is F-
series s shouldnt even be mentioned
wavebird should be S-tier just by itself (gamecube is not S)
anything atari should be in a wood-trimmed dumpster
n64 higher, perhaps gets its own semi-retarded throne

Oof85

Switch and NES switch positions.

Nes gave us so many classics that still exist today and it revived the American console videogame market.

Ps4 drops down to A rank, Sega Genesis goes up to S instead.

Ps5 goes down to B(or C, this gen has been largely mediocre)and Dreamcast takes it's position in A.

All is well in the world.

'dated' is subjective

The PS2 era is super dated to me

but I can go back to PSX just fine

PS2 era was leagues more refined in design. Larger worlds that were way less jaggy, smoother framerates, more refined gameplay among other things.

My rankings:
S tier: Super Nintendo, PS2
A tier: NES, Sega Genesis, PS1, PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, Switch
B tier: TG16, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, WiiU, XBOX, XBOX One
C tier: Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, Intellivision, Sega Master System
D tier: Atari 5200, Atari 7800

The Series X should be above PS5. Better console features, ease of use, Cross-buy on PC, better first party games, etc.

There is no category in which the PS5 outperforms the Series X.

LakeOf9

S tier list is perfect. I haven't got much experience with SNES, but PS2, PS4, Xbox 360, and Switch are all legendary

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
PS4 s tier? 360 S tier?

The rest is correct for S tier but realistically you can shuffle a lot of S into A.

Like ps1 launched without analog sticks. Plus it had its library to carry it. So it being A is fine.

I’d move the GameCube up to A for sure. PS5 is B tier… the controller is A tier.

Shifty1897

I’d move the GameCube up to A for sure. PS5 is B tier… the controller is A tier.
6 hour battery makes the PS5 controller B tier at best to me.

The rest of this list is pretty good. If I was being completely biased I would move up the Dreamcast to A and down the PS3 to B.

Kadve

Klicked on this purely too see what he missed and wasn't disappointed.

Where the hell is the Vectrex, LaserActive and FM Towns Marty ? Also PC-FX but no Bandai Playdia? It had way more games.

I think it's also unfair for the Jaguar to be in the F tier along with the CDi and the CD32. It's a better console than both of the later. Because at least it had a few notable games like Rayman, Tempest 2000 and AvP and it was the only way for a while to play a decent port of DOOM without needing an expensive PC.

CDi and CD32 had nothing and they were both more expensive consoles on top of that.
Jaguar actually has a pretty ok, albeit small, library. It gets all this hate because of “fun” and the classic AVGN episode. Most people haven’t even seen or played one.

Last edited:
I’ve seen several forums take on this list and almost all of them the consensus is this is a decent list.

The biggest argument I see is based on the original xbox being so high. People seem to forget how great that system was.

-Decent roster of exclusive games from Microsoft coupled with several awesome 3rd party exclusives.
-Multiplatform games almost always were the superior versions
-Xbox live and voice chat on console being standardized and used in a ton of games.
-If you had the means at the time, several games supported 720p resolution.
-Included 8 Gig Hard drive for saves and several games supported DLC on console for the first time.
-Maybe shouldn’t be included outright, but modding the system with a bigger hard drive and XBMC made its capabilities as a media device and full blown Atari - playstation 1 emulation device possible.

How can that list NOT be A tier?
OG Xbox is great. Best multiplats of its gen plus a ton of weird games. From the time when MS still cared about console space

Last edited:

nkarafo

Jaguar actually has a pretty ok, albeit small, library. It gets all this hate because of “fun” and the classic AVGN episode. Most people haven’t even seen or played one.
The Jaguar was unpopular way before AVGN ever mentioned it. In game magazines in 1995 it had got a lot of hate already. Atari pretty much killed it with it's ridiculous 64bit marketing, setting unrealistic expectations. Had they pushed the idea of a cheap way to play DOOM in 1994 and focus more on the games it can handle (beautiful 2D games like Rayman, sprite scaling, Doom clones) instead of 3D polygon games, the console would have some chances to get an average success before the inevitable PS1 boom.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It might be your opinion, but a console with Doom, Rayman, Canon Fodder, Tempest 2k, Defender 2k, Wolfenstein 3D, Super Burnout and Power Drive Rally is leagues above the CDi and Amiga32. Not to mention the homebrew community.
I'd agree it is better than those two, for sure, but that isn't saying that it is good. The 3DO was a better system than Jaguar too.

But really why would anyone listen to Linus talk about videogames consoles?

Last edited:
Top Bottom