• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin! | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
5c7b34f93aa364396eb55636fa2a8ffc3fa4f0fd-scaled.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Like a Dragon: Ishin!

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PC (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 21, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 86% recommended - 14 reviews

nHJhgqT.jpg

Critic Reviews

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8 / 10
Like A Dragon: Ishin! has a bit of ironing out to do before it becomes the amazing game it deserves to be. Players may notice it is the least polished game in the series in some time, and be tested by a slow start to the narrative and rolling out of mechanics to engage in chaotic fun. It's worth sticking it out though. It's one of the better stories to come from the franchise, with gripping inner and political conflict, where steel collides and wounds (both physical and emotional) cut deep. Kyoto too is home to some of the better instances of minigames and sub-stories, getting good mileage out of its feudal Japan setting. Living out your samurai life is palpable and thoroughly enjoyable as you cut down anyone who stands in your way in engaging combat. Like A Dragon: Ishin! may not be an all-timer for the series, but it's definitely the title with the best vibes.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8.5 / 10
While it isn’t the best playing game in the Yakuza series, Ishin remains a a great title and an essential experience for fans.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Like a Dragon Ishin! remixes and reintroduces familiar fan favourites in a period piece well worth your time.

Eurogamer - Alan Wen - No Recommendation
The long overdue samurai spin-off is classic Yakuza under its period dressing but also underwhelming as a current-gen remake.

GGRecon - Dave McAdam - 4 / 5
The love and charm of the Like a Dragon franchise is at the core of Ishin!, a fact alone that makes this one of the best games you will play this year.

Gaming Nexus - Henry Yu - 8.8 / 10
It's been nearly a decade since Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! released exclusively in Japan, but RGG Studio has finally brought it over to the West in the form of Like a Dragon: Ishin!, and it does not disappoint. Not only does Ishin! touch upon an important part of Japanese history, it does so by excellently balancing ridiculously fun over-the-top action with engrossing narrative pacing and mature character development. It doesn't quite meet the bar of a full on remake though, so that's something worth considering.

PSX Brasil - Isabella Alves - Portuguese - 85 / 100
With a great story, charismatic characters, fluid and fun combat and a gameplay that is the hallmark of the franchise, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is the remake fans wanted so badly. Even with small bugs, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio shows, once again, that the series' formula is far from boring and makes us anxious about what will come ahead.

Saving Content - Ed Acosta - 4 / 5
Outside of the time period, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a cut-and-dry copy of any other Like a Dragon title before it. Luckily, that is an entertaining formula. If you found those other titles a chore, stay away from Ishin! Although the ancient Japanese setting might be enough for you.

Shacknews - Nick Tan - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

Siliconera - Graham Russell - 8 / 10
At its best when its focus is divided, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a fun Bakumatsu sandbox. It doesn't have the engrossing standout minigame like the cabaret or business management challenges of previous titles, and its time period means it also doesn't pack a fun arcade. But its jack-of-all-trades approach still resonates.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 7.5 / 10
Fans won't want to miss this recontextualised yet authentic Yakuza brawler. Hopefully, newcomers attracted to the theme can forgive some poorly aged systems and jank.

WhatIfGaming - Rizwan Anwer - 9 / 10
I had a fantastic time with Like a Dragon: Ishin, and it’s a worthy addition to the Yakuza series lineup. Like other modern Yakuza titles, this release is filled to the brim with enjoyable content, memorable characters, and an addictive combat system with tons of variety. The character work is fantastic, and the series’ invaluable skill to switch between serious and hilarious tones is present here as well, with some of the best moments in the franchise.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8.5 / 10
Like A Dragon: Ishin! is Ye Olde Yakuza, but that's all it needs to be. The setting is fresh for the series, and it provides a fun way to see the same crime drama action in a new historical setting. Even if I prefer the modern setting, Ishin handles the change of setting well. It doesn't break an molds, but it's a delightfully fun experience for fans of the franchise. If you're itching for more Like A Dragon, Ishin! scratches that itch wonderfully, and it's a darn fun game in its own right.

XboxEra - harm0nica - 9 / 10
For fans and newcomers alike, this game is a triumph and needs to be experienced. PLAY THIS GAME.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Great scores, as expected. I believe it unlocks tonight for the deluxe version so I can't wait to get back home from work.
the PS5 version at least unlocked at 10am eastern :messenger_smiling: makes me glad I work from home on Fridays >_> (though it’s fairly busy at work today so I probably won’t have time to play it in the background until after)

Stuart360

Wait this game is 10 years old?. I'm watching CohhCarnage play it and it looks like a modern game graphically.
It also looks fun, and i'm not into these Yakuza games.

I played the demo. From what I understand with the combat each style has a specific purpose.

Gun and Sword- crowd control
Sword- one on one
Gun- Long range
Brawler- not clear on this one. I think Sega just put it in because its fun

Can't wait to get into it after work.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The recent demo was bad, but as always with Yakuza games, this is a 100% day 1 purchase for me.

Hopefully I can finish Hogwarts by then.

Wait this game is 10 years old?. I'm watching CohhCarnage play it and it looks like a modern game graphically.
It also looks fun, and i'm not into these Yakuza games.

They remade the game in Unreal Engine 4.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm baffled by this comment in all honesty.
what-the-hell-what-are-you-talking-about.gif

I mean LIKE A DRAGON I feel was their "breakthrough" title with a lot of people who had never heard of YAKUZA jumping in. It also scored insanely well, so perhaps that is what they are referring to: right now ISHIN is doing "Okay. . ."

Reactions: Isa

Skifi28

I mean LIKE A DRAGON I feel was their "breakthrough" title with a lot of people who had never heard of YAKUZA jumping in. It also scored insanely well, so perhaps that is what they are referring to: right now ISHIN is doing "Okay. . ."
Like a dragon has a metacritic of 84, seems like a quite similar score so far. Yakuza games have never scored too high as far as I remember.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That demo did a lot of hurt, I'd be hype as fuck if it weren't for the demo.

Probably didnt help that Im replaying Nioh 2 atm so feels a bit jarring going from one to another. At the very least they should've put more effort into modernizing the combat as well, not just the char models/textures/audio.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Probably didnt help that Im replaying Nioh 2 atm so feels a bit jarring going from one to another. At the very least they should've put more effort into modernizing the combat as well, not just the char models/textures/audio.
That could have been a good idea, but at the same time many fans would have prefered it being closer to the original Ishin we never got in the west.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I remember that this was originally one of the few ps4 games avalinle when the system first launched. I think it was a japanese exclusive though

anthony2690

Banned

https://opencritic.com/game/8628/yakuza-like-a-dragon

86% average, 91% recommend

82% average, 92% recommend.

I'm just not seeing it tbh...

Edit:

Yakuza like a dragon, is my fave though, loved Ichiban.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

So we're finally moving towards "8/10 = bad", huh? It's a 10 year old game from a low budget open world series, it won't get much higher.
Not really, i didnt say it was bad, i just said that i expected the scores to be higher.
I'm baffled by this comment in all honesty.
what-the-hell-what-are-you-talking-about.gif
Nothing super weird, Yakuza has sparked in popularity these past few years, i would think after Like a Dragon it would have scored even higher than this.
I expected something like 86-89

wvnative

Is it just me or does this game look super washed out? Like there's almost no color? UI is fine, but graphics look washed out on my screen.

TwinB242

Man I hate how it feels like people like myself who prefer to buy boxed copies are being screwed over nowadays. Would love to play the game now but the deluxe edition with early access is exclusive to people who buy digitally :/

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Man I hate how it feels like people like myself who prefer to buy boxed copies are being screwed over nowadays. Would love to play the game now but the deluxe edition with early access is exclusive to people who buy digitally :/
Same. I have my physical pre-ordered and not even the DLC content is offered. I can get the early access being locked only to digital version, but DLC, even if you pre-order physical should be the same in both cases.

Vyse

Gold Member
So glad to hear the reviews are strong. Just finished up Lost Judgement Kaito Files in anticipation. Should time nicely with me finishing up Hogwarts Legacy.

So many games, so little time.

Teletraan1

Banned
So this has real time combat as opposed to the Turn based combat of Like a Dragon? None of the trailers or anything I saw had a HUD so I couldn't' really get much from them. I personally preferred the move to Turn Based as the combat in the other Yakuza games never really interested me.

Vyse

Gold Member
So this has real time combat as opposed to the Turn based combat of Like a Dragon? None of the trailers or anything I saw had a HUD so I couldn't' really get much from them. I personally preferred the move to Turn Based as the combat in the other Yakuza games never really interested me.
Not turn based like seven. This was a side story remaster from 2014.

Labadal

This is action combat, like most Yakuza games.

If you want turn-based, you will have to wait for Yakuza 8.

Vyse

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies.

Not that I hate the combat of the other Yakuza games, I just like what they did with Like a Dragon.
Me too. I’m pretty new to the series and started playing when they dropped on game pass. Totally hooked and love to see how the series had progressed from game to game. Just hits that sweet spot for me.

anthony2690

Banned
My copy arrived today from the game collection, 3 days early 💪

Then I just put it in a box and away.

My poor Xbox and games are all packed away, as I've finished painting for today and waiting for it to dry, I've logged into my partner's Xbox that we have set up next to the mattress on the floor and I might play more wild hearts trial, as my hard copy is also boxed away (I wish I could carry on with Hogwarts legacy) :(

But I don't want to start any other games properly, as I want to finish the incredible Hogwarts first.

Ah man, Feb has been crazy for games XD

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Scores seem higher than the text sounds. Almost like it's riding on just being another Yakuza game.

Rayderism

The combat is action-based, eh? Good. Like a Dragon is the first Yakuza game I never finished because I didn't like the turn-based fighting.

So, does this game have all the crazy side-content like Yakuza games have? I, obviously, haven't been following this release. If so, I'll have to pick this one up.

Last edited:

Labadal

The combat is action-based, eh? Good. Like a Dragon is the first Yakuza game I never finished because I didn't like the turn-based fighting.

So, does this game have all the crazy side-content like Yakuza games have? I, obviously, haven't been following this release. If so, I'll have to pick this one up.
There are side quests, and mini games, yes.

Top Bottom