• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life on Mars almost confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joates said:
Doesnt your idea assume all life started at the same time/evolves at the same rate throughout the universe? Earth is what 4 or 5 billion yrs old but the universe is closer to 14 billion years old.. just saying other lifeforms could have had a head start (or a delay).

And out of morbid curiosity, why did Earth have to seed mars and not vice versa, or even the possibility of life forming independently on each?
They could have, it's quite possible. It's also possible that somewhere in Mexico around 66 million years ago, a civilisation of intelligent dinosaurs came about that was on the cusp of an industrial revolution, but was wiped out by a massive meteor right there. The arising of intelligent life on a planet likely follows a poisson distribution where k is 1 and lambda is the expected number of times intelligent life would arise in a given time period. The value of lambda here is the key. It could be as low as once in a billion years or as high as once in a trillion.

Out of 3.5 billion years of life, we're the only life form to have achieved our level of intelligence. Nemotode worms, sharks, paramecia, stinging nettles, birds and cockroaches have had just as much time to evolve as we have and yet our level of intelligence has occurred only once. Don't think that natural selection is a force that pushes toward "higher" forms of life; rather, it is a force that pushes toward survival.

I'm making the point that from our experience, even where life is present and abundant, intelligence isn't common or inevitable.

Also, I'm of the opinion that Earth seeded Mars because it's the simplest explanation. We have plenty of life here and did so even before Mars's oceans dried up, so it stands to reason that this is the most likely explanation. Otherwise would be cool and exciting, but not nearly as likely

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Xeke said:
I highly doubt there is intelligent life out there by our concept of intelligence. Our capacity for what we see as intelligence was devloped by one species on the planet because of a very specific set of evolutionary requirements and the chances of those same paramaters existing other places is slim.

That's quite the assumption, considering how fucking huge the universe is. In case you didn't know: it's really, really big.

Even if the odds were something like one in every billion galaxies had a planet with creatures of equal or greater intelligence than ours, we'd still be talking many, many civilizations existing out there. And something like this kinda points toward the odds being much more in the favor of intelligence existing in abundance.

Deku

Banned
cross pollination between the planets is a pretty popular working theory for life at the moment.

Europa is also a very interesting place to look for life. As is a few other moons of the gas giants that are essentially covered in Ice, with tidal forces of the gas giants acting as the catalyst for heating up the core of these otherwise smaller worlds.

Deku said:
cross pollination between the planets is a pretty popular working theory for life at the moment.
1201499326_mid.jpg

let the pollination begin.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Also, I'm of the opinion that Earth seeded Mars because it's the simplest explanation.

Isn't it only the simplest explanation from your current perspective?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
you think 'cause you're the destroyer of worlds you can boss us around?

Yes.

That is what I think.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
abstract alien said:
Everyone thinks it is so ridiculous for life outside of earth to be possible, and come to find out, it just might be on the very first planet we looked at :lol

I agree, but the downside of that argument, is that it's a planet that exists in the same habitable band of a solar system already proven to be hospitable to life. Like, Earth 2.

Xeke

Banned
Thaedolus said:
That's quite the assumption, considering how fucking huge the universe is. In case you didn't know: it's really, really big.

Even if the odds were something like one in every billion galaxies had a planet with creatures of equal or greater intelligence than ours, we'd still be talking many, many civilizations existing out there. And something like this kinda points toward the odds being much more in the favor of intelligence existing in abundance.

Well at that point they may as well not exist because we'll never find out about them.

jett said:
ITT: humans believe they're beautiful and unique snowflakes.
Every lifeform is beautiful and unique.

The human problems are pride, arrogance, and avarice. We aren't the pinnacle of evolution, we're just one of many ways life can evolve. We lucked out, what we lacked in physical strength, we made up for in cunning. We plot, plan, and deceive our way to victory.

But all life is unique. Evolution is a cool thing. We all have a basic beginning mix, and from that plant life, animal life, viruses, a whole range of lifeforms from the microbial to the mammoth spring forth.

What makes us unique on this planet is our ability to find calm in the chaos. Our drive to find simplicity in the universes complexities. For all we know a billion civilizations have risen and fallen in the span of time it took us to grasp the basics of our universe.

It's possible they have visited this area, but life with any semblance of intelligence is extremely short lived on this planet. And the universe is a very old, and large place. The likely hood of civilizations intersecting in this universe, of existing at the same time, is almost unlikely, and being anywhere close to one another?

If they can get here, then we have no defense against them. Because such a thing would take either an immortal race, or someone that can break what we understand as the laws of physics. Either scenario leaves humanity with the option of slaves or retarded friend.

Xeke

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

The human problems are pride, arrogance, and avarice. We aren't the pinnacle of evolution, we're just one of many ways life can evolve. We lucked out, what we lacked in physical strength, we made up for in cunning. We plot, plan, and deceive our way to victory.

But all life is unique. Evolution is a cool thing. We all have a basic beginning mix, and from that plant life, animal life, viruses, a whole range of lifeforms from the microbial to the mammoth spring forth.

What makes us unique on this planet is our ability to find calm in the chaos. Our drive to find simplicity in the universes complexities. For all we know a billion civilizations have risen and fallen in the span of time it took us to grasp the basics of our universe.

It's possible they have visited this area, but life with any semblance of intelligence is extremely short lived on this planet. And the universe is a very old, and large place. The likely hood of civilizations intersecting in this universe, of existing at the same time, is almost unlikely, and being anywhere close to one another?

If they can get here, then we have no defense against them. Because such a thing would take either an immortal race, or someone that can break what we understand as the laws of physics. Either scenario leaves humanity with the option of slaves or retarded friend.

What if humans in the future from far colonized reaches of the galaxy attack us here in the present because there is no double ply toilet paper in the future?

Where is your god now?

Xeke said:
What if humans in the future from far colonized reaches of the galaxy attack us here in the present because there is no double ply toilet paper in the future?

Where is your god now?
My God is chaotic.

"You don't have toilet paper?! Use your hands motherfucker! Boom! goes the Supernova!"

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Thunder Monkey said:
this gal isn't:
mih06f.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:
I agree, but the downside of that argument, is that it's a planet that exists in the same habitable band of a solar system already proven to be hospitable to life. Like, Earth 2.
eh... if you were to include mars into the golidlocks zone purely on its hypothetical ability to support conditions necessary for earth like life then an equal case could be made for extending that zone all the way out to europa, which would provide ample space to handily eliminate that 'downside'.

Sorry for my ignorance but, the rovers and probes that have touched down on the Martian surface, are they not equiped to search for microbial life? And what about our own moon, could life exist there?

Monocle

Awesome, I've been anticipating news like this since I learned of ALH84001.
Clearly this is proof that the devil works in ways more cunning than we ever imagined.

Binabik15

Monocle said:
Awesome, I've been anticipating news like this since I learned of ALH84001.
Clearly this is proof that the devil works in ways more cunning than we ever imagined.

That leads to panspermia, hur hur.

I´m really pissed off that we spend billions and trillions blowing each others up or producing mountains of unneeded ball-pens and plastics instead of reaching for the stars and deep sea (and feeding all the starving humans, of course).

Having the first colony on another celestial body would be bragging rights of the forever. But we´d probably need a new Cold War (alien turrists) for that to happen :/

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Sir Fragula said:
Hehe, didn't some conspiracy nut say Obama would introduce us to one or more alien species by the end of this year?

YUP. Also

The scientists that made anything that landed on mars had some kind of bacteria on their hands right? They had to touch rover,and opportunity. So technically, if the bacteria survived the trip, isnt there micobicrobial life on mars?

CTLance

That is... very neat.
Jea Song said:
The scientists that made anything that landed on mars had some kind of bacteria on their hands right? They had to touch rover,and opportunity. So technically, if the bacteria survived the trip, isnt there micobicrobial life on mars?
Just speculating here:

It would need to survive the harsh conditions of space almost unprotected. Then again, there's plenty of evidence of organisms capable of that feat. Hell, even multi-celled organisms are capable of that. Spores or eggs usually are more hardy than the full-grown organism either, and usually smaller and lighter too, which means they'd be more likely to end up on a probe.

Dunno if NASA spends the money to wash down their probes before sending them out. And tbqh I doubt even a very thorough cleanup would catch all "hitchhikers". Microorganisms are everywhere around us. They float in the air, sit on surfaces, swim in liquids. Sure, the guys working on the probes are usually wearng gloves and whatnot, but I doubt it keeps the probes 100% uncontaminated.

Whether or not they'd be able to "pollute" the other planet is another thing entirely. It's another chain of probabilities, again. But yes, I'm pretty sure the probability of us unknowingly seeding other planets with life is non-zero. Maybe it's even a non-trivial value. Who knows.

Xdrive05

Carl Sagan's ghost, floating out there in the Ether, just adjusted his turtle neck collar and cracked a smile.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
viciouskillersquirrel said:
They could have, it's quite possible. It's also possible that somewhere in Mexico around 66 million years ago, a civilisation of intelligent dinosaurs came about that was on the cusp of an industrial revolution, but was wiped out by a massive meteor right there. The arising of intelligent life on a planet likely follows a poisson distribution where k is 1 and lambda is the expected number of times intelligent life would arise in a given time period. The value of lambda here is the key. It could be as low as once in a billion years or as high as once in a trillion.

Out of 3.5 billion years of life, we're the only life form to have achieved our level of intelligence. Nemotode worms, sharks, paramecia, stinging nettles, birds and cockroaches have had just as much time to evolve as we have and yet our level of intelligence has occurred only once. Don't think that natural selection is a force that pushes toward "higher" forms of life; rather, it is a force that pushes toward survival.

I'm making the point that from our experience, even where life is present and abundant, intelligence isn't common or inevitable.

Also, I'm of the opinion that Earth seeded Mars because it's the simplest explanation. We have plenty of life here and did so even before Mars's oceans dried up, so it stands to reason that this is the most likely explanation. Otherwise would be cool and exciting, but not nearly as likely
Neanderthals also evolved intelligence, sure they come from the same ape evolutionary tree but its a nice indication that there is more than one intelligent species. Also with more than 99.9% of species that have existed already dead and most of their fossils completely turned to dust it is hard to make the assumption that we are the only species that have evolved intelligence.

PistolGrip said:
Neanderthals also evolved intelligence, sure they come from the same ape evolutionary tree but its a nice indication that there is more than one intelligent species. Also with more than 99.9% of species that have existed already dead and most of their fossils completely turned to dust it is hard to make the assumption that we are the only species that have evolved intelligence.
If you saw my earlier post, I took into account 4 million years of human evolution. Neanderthals fall into that time frame.

KHarvey16

Jea Song said:
YUP. Also

They go to great lengths to ensure any piece of equipment sent to another planet is not contaminated with bacteria from earth.

Mindlog

gofreak said:
There was kind of talk about this recently based on seasonal methane output on Mars. There's two possible explanations for that - geological or biological. A lot of folks seemed to be leaning toward biological, but we cannot be absolutely certain yet.

But it is possible there still is life there, there are possible indirect pointers of it.

Methane on Mars is being replenished, meteorites ruled out as likely cause.

Scientists have ruled out the possibility that methane is delivered to Mars by meteorites, raising fresh hopes that the gas might be generated by life on the red planet, in research published tomorrow in Earth and Planetary Science Letters.

Would you like to know more.

Mysteriously, methane levels are also increasing on earth.

Wait what?

Messypandas said:
2cfa8gj.jpg

this is just the start

You know what would be crazy?

If the great extinctions of the past were not caused by natural disasters....

BUT BY MARTIAN DISEASES!

Imagine, an asteroid lands on earth carrying bacteria from mars. A dinosaurpanda eats it and INFECTION TIME

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
jamesinclair said:
You know what would be crazy?

If the great extinctions of the past were not caused by natural disasters....

BUT BY MARTIAN DISEASES!

Imagine, an asteroid lands on earth carrying bacteria from mars. A dinosaurpanda eats it and INFECTION TIME
I was just on the same train of thought.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wow, now if only we'd put on a man on Mars in my lifetime!
Jangaroo said:
Is it weird that I was thinking about the tv show before clicking this thread?
I avoided this thread for so long because I thought the same thing. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom