• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diverse organic matter found on Mars by NASA rover

Bartski

Gold Member
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/organic-matter-on-mars-nasa-alien-life-b2374389.html

Diverse types of organic molecules have been found on Mars by a Nasa rover.

The material was detected by the Perseverance rover in the Jezero Crater on Mars, scientists said.

Researchers are unable to rule out that the materials have a “biotic” origin, or are the result of life on the planet. But they might also be formed in other ways, such as interactions between water and dust or having been dropped onto the planet by dust or meteors.

The findings suggest that Mars may have had a far more active past than we realised – and could have significant implications for the search for alien life.

According to the study, understanding more about Martian organic matter could shed light on the availability of carbon sources, with implications for the search for potential signs of life.

The Scanning Habitable Environments with Raman and Luminescence for Organics and Chemicals (Sherloc) instrument on the rover is the first tool to enable fine-scale mapping and analysis of organic molecules and minerals on Mars.

Perseverance landed within the Jezero crater, the site of an ancient lake basin with high potential for past habitability, in February 2021.

Since then scientists have been exploring the geological make-up of the crater floor using a suite of tools on board the rover that can take pictures of and analyse the rocks.

Sunanda Sharma, Ryan Roppel and their colleagues analysed observations from two formations on the Jezero crater floor.

Signals of organic molecules were detected on all 10 targets that Sherloc observed in the Jezero crater floor, concentrated in the Maaz formation, more than in the Seitah formation.

The data showed diverse mineral association and spatial distribution that may be unique to each formation.

Even if the material is not actually biological in origin, it could give us important clues about whether Mars was able to host alien life, scientists said.

“Not all organics are biological in origin. Observing spatial relationships between minerals and organics is necessary when evaluating organic origins and potential biosignatures. Everything we know of life on Earth is limited to what is preserved in the rock-mineral record. On Earth, biosignatures are found in certain minerals and some minerals are better at preserving organics than others,” said Ashley E Murphy, a researcher at the Planetary Science Institute and co-author on the new paper.

“Mars may have had a similar early geologic history to Earth so we use our knowledge of life as we know it on Earth for where to look for potential evidence of past life on Mars. Mapping organics allows for a better understanding of if the Martian carbon cycle is similar to or different from Earth, and the potential of Mars to host life.”

The researchers suggest the diversity among these observations may provide insight into different ways that organic matter may have originated: potentially through deposition by water, or in combination with volcanic materials.

Writing in the Nature journal, the authors said: “Our findings suggest there may be a diversity of aromatic molecules prevalent on the Martian surface, and these materials persist despite exposure to surface conditions.

“These potential organic molecules are largely found within minerals linked to aqueous processes, indicating that these processes may have had a key role in organic synthesis, transport or preservation.”

jason10mm

Gold Member
Duuuuh, we've known this since the 1920's....

47h8Lc9.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nice. There are organics all over space, so it puzzles me when people try to claim that it's unlikely that life could spring up from non-life on Earth via natural means.

Last edited:
Interesting. Unfortunately without the sample in hands to see exactly what it is, we can't know better. Now we wait more 10-20 years until the samples (possibly) get here to analyse them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Dejah Thoris is one of the coolest alien princesses ever.
Agreed. While the series as a whole is one of my most favorite, even I can acknowledge that the colored races, even if not directly referencing humans, would be problematic to represent today. Would anyone really find offense if black skinned pirates dropped down from the low moons of Mars? Or the weird parasitic decadent nature of the residual white martians? Probably.

Plus the persistent nudity, KEY to proper representation of the martian style of dress and the climate, is hard to sell, much less the image of Dejah squatting out an egg for the royal incubator :p

I think an animated version would be best, Heavy Metal style. Then the red martains could be almost human-like and the others less so, making the skin color less comparable to a human race.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
But they might also be formed in other ways, such as interactions between water and dust or having been dropped onto the planet by dust or meteors.

And we're done here. Stop living in a sci-fi fantasy world. Mars is just a dead rock. Will we populate it tho? No. Our future is death, post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk best-case scenario, not space exploration.

Toons

Agreed. While the series as a whole is one of my most favorite, even I can acknowledge that the colored races, even if not directly referencing humans, would be problematic to represent today. Would anyone really find offense if black skinned pirates dropped down from the low moons of Mars? Or the weird parasitic decadent nature of the residual white martians? Probably.

Plus the persistent nudity, KEY to proper representation of the martian style of dress and the climate, is hard to sell, much less the image of Dejah squatting out an egg for the royal incubator :p

I think an animated version would be best, Heavy Metal style. Then the red martains could be almost human-like and the others less so, making the skin color less comparable to a human race.

Honestly the john Carter movie didn't do a bad job adapting it. I still think that film is underrated.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They want more funding, its still kinda inconsistent what organic compounds in chemistry even are (how they should be called). Some consider it to be this, some consider it to be that.

Last edited:

mopspear

I think any science news like this from mainstream sources should generally be ignored. They never give you the right context. Find some science nerd on YouTube to explain it. Anton Petrov is good for that.

GloveSlap

Nice. There are organics all over space, so it puzzles me when people try to claim that it's unlikely that life could spring up from non-life on Earth via natural means.
They normally bring up probabilities, but something being 1 in a trillion doesn't really matter if you have a 10 trillion chances. Those are random numbers of course, but you get my point.

Top Bottom