• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P |OT| Woodborn

why play something multiple times that you can't stand. Something doesn't compute.
I played through it once and hated it the first time like every Souls game. Then I played through it again with a different build and with DLC content. Hated it even more because I felt like I was going through the motions instead of enjoying achieving goals. It offers no real choice about which segments a player can tackle. If it did not waste my time and offered incremental challenges, then it might have been enjoyable but it just drags at every step. It is like playing Dark Souls 1 but Crypt and Garden are locked until Queelag is beaten, Lower Undead Burg is locked until Gargoyles are slayed, and Anor Londo's spiral staircase is stuck until Painting is beaten. It does not help that most worthwhile collectibles in areas are rare drops and upgrades are weak and consume many resources.

Aion002

Finally! I had to finish the game again to get this:

sAKdMZ.png

The moveset is cool, but the damage is disappointing. Now I wait for the dlc...

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
I played through it once and hated it the first time like every Souls game. Then I played through it again with a different build and with DLC content. Hated it even more because I felt like I was going through the motions instead of enjoying achieving goals. It offers no real choice about which segments a player can tackle. If it did not waste my time and offered incremental challenges, then it might have been enjoyable but it just drags at every step. It is like playing Dark Souls 1 but Crypt and Garden are locked until Queelag is beaten, Lower Undead Burg is locked until Gargoyles are slayed, and Anor Londo's spiral staircase is stuck until Painting is beaten. It does not help that most worthwhile collectibles in areas are rare drops and upgrades are weak and consume many resources.
Ok. But then why keep playing games you hate? I don’t get it. It sounds like you hate certain elements but other elements draw you in and make you want ti play.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but has anyone else tried an 'Advance' build? Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the scaling seems piss-weak next to Motivity and Technique.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but has anyone else tried an 'Advance' build? Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the scaling seems piss-weak next to Motivity and Technique.
I did an advance build for my 1st 2 runs. Weapon damage isn't as good as other builds except for elemental damage.
The build shines in throwable damage compared to the other 2 builds.

Ironically, I mostly avoided throwables in the boss fights though...lol

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I did an advance build for my 1st 2 runs. Weapon damage isn't as good as other builds except for elemental damage.
The build shines in throwable damage compared to the other 2 builds.

Ironically, I mostly avoided throwables in the boss fights though...lol
Ah, the throwables are interesting. I just noticed that Adavnce adds about a third of the scaling damage than the other two and I'm not big on spamming throwables.

TexMex

I did Advance my first run and it was great. Throwables as mentioned but I stuck to weapons that had elemental effects. Electric coil and Acid spear specifically just melted bosses for me. Salamander dagger too. Stuff hits like a truck.

Advance build for me involved Salamander Knife blade on Acid Spear handle with Advance Crank. Flamberge and Pandemonium Legion Arms with throwables did a lot of heavy lifting in the boss battles. In the late game, Black Steel Cutter blade combined well with Booster Glaive handle with Advance Crank. I am disappointed by the lack of a boss weapon that scales with Advance.

P.S. I wonder if a non-Advance handle gets a Grindstone bonus for the same element as the blade? It does not.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
This bump is making me want to start NG+2. Damn the weapons system in this game is so good.
Yeah I took a break after my first play through (and another partial when messing around). I went Motivity the first time, but leaning towards Advanced for the next.

Mortisfacio

Banned
Took forever to finally play this, but it's really good. Love the aesthetics to everything and is probably the most souls-like non-souls game I've played. Switched to this because I'm playing Remnant 2 and I don't necessarily dislike it, but that game isn't pulling me in yet.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I couldn't warm up to this game at all. Today I decided to give it another chance, but after dying multiple times in the cathedral level due to falls, I decided to delete the game. That was enough. I'll wait for the Elden Ring dlc.

Update: I finally managed to get into the game. It's going well:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Finished the game on gamepass.
Overall very impressed because if I didn't know any better I'd think it was made by FROMSOFT themselves.
I enjoyed it far more than DS3 for example, so quality is up there.
Reminds me most of Bloodborne with some Sekiro mixed in because of the heavy reliance on parrying (or at least that's how I think that game wants you to play).

What I liked:
- story far better than the souls games (except BB), it is actually nice to understand wtf is going on (and there were some mystery aspects)
- combat is fun
- weapon system and legion arm (the trick arm is far better done than in Sekiro due to being recharged upon revival)
- the whole humanity affecting the endings
- music and visuals are quite good
- puppet aesthetic is well executed
- tells you where active side quests are so you can go back to them (really useful)
- good boss mechanics (but with caveat see below)

What I disliked:
- levels are bland/boring and forgettable
- level difficulty is too easy compared to the boss difficulty, the balance is way off
- bosses difficulty is too much sometimes, too many 2 phase bosses, bosses with multiple enemies at the same time, very tight parry windows, just a lot of time spending memorizing patterns with not many opportunities to adapt in real-time, bosses felt like they don't respect your time
- too many systems, the cube, gold coins, trick arm upgrades, grinder stones, quartz....for example the quartz system some upgrades were straight up a waste while others were critical, could have been done much better
- puppet enemy design was good, but the others were kinda lame and too generic
- the notes and lore didn't feel interesting enough to read, didn't seem to flesh out the story any better

Overall I enjoyed my time with it but it also left me frustrated in several ways. Towards the middle I think I just wanted to get it over with and get to the end, something about the level aesthetic began feeling to repetitive and I just wanted to see the bosses.
Used the Specter to cut down the boss time. The ones that gave me the most trouble were the
Rabbit Brotherhood (2nd fight)
and the
Puppet King
. Not having the Specter for the final fight was an odd choice.

gow3isben

Do people call the Secret boss the hardest because there is no specter? As someone who doesn't use them It was wayyyyyy easier than L. In fact one of only bosses I beat on my first try.

Also amazing game. Just as good as Elden Ring and Sekiro imo. I liked it more than Bloodborne.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Do people call the Secret boss the hardest because there is no specter? As someone who doesn't use them It was wayyyyyy easier than L. In fact one of only bosses I beat on my first try.

Also amazing game. Just as good as Elden Ring and Sekiro imo. I liked it more than Bloodborne.
I found that boss the hardest. L was hard too, but that last one was kicking my ass using my heavy weapons. Ended up having to make a new heavy weapon using a faster handle and then it only took two tries.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Felt like it was one of the most fair bosses whole game especially for a final boss. Did it on my second try.

Hot5pur

Felt like it was one of the most fair bosses whole game especially for a final boss. Did it on my second try.

Yeah interestingly I thought that boss was fairly well balanced and not too bad. Just figured it was random not to have the Specter as the boss was on par with other more difficult bosses.
I think having the specter there is nice to move through the first phase of most bosses, as it tends to die on the second phase early on. Perhaps that was part of the intent. On the PK the Specter trivialized the second phase. I know if you dodge into it that's an easy way to beat him (found out afterward).
I don't know though, if people find LoP bosses easier than Souls bosses I must have been playing it wrong. The two phases often felt like such a grindy chore, they are just really long fights (I generally tend not to use item buffs, perhaps that's part of it).

L second phase is a bit ridiculous, just a lot of learning the parry timings and also parrying the projectiles helps. I was using the trident boss weapon with the high crit almost through the entire game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yeah interestingly I thought that boss was fairly well balanced and not too bad. Just figured it was random not to have the Specter as the boss was on par with other more difficult bosses.
I think having the specter there is nice to move through the first phase of most bosses, as it tends to die on the second phase early on. Perhaps that was part of the intent. On the PK the Specter trivialized the second phase. I know if you dodge into it that's an easy way to beat him (found out afterward).
I don't know though, if people find LoP bosses easier than Souls bosses I must have been playing it wrong. The two phases often felt like such a grindy chore, they are just really long fights (I generally tend not to use item buffs, perhaps that's part of it).

L second phase is a bit ridiculous, just a lot of learning the parry timings and also parrying the projectiles helps. I was using the trident boss weapon with the high crit almost through the entire game.

Found it easier than souls but that was likely due to my build and weapon combos.

I played at launch when the game was at its hardest too before all the nerfs.

gow3isben

I found that boss the hardest. L was hard too, but that last one was kicking my ass using my heavy weapons. Ended up having to make a new heavy weapon using a faster handle and then it only took two tries.

I didn’t realize you could parry Ls projectiles for decent damage the second phase without specter was devilish

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This puppet devouring sob is harder than any souls boss. Tried at least 100 times and couldn't kill it. Bosses are crazy difficult compared to regular ones in this game, it's frustrating. I'm not using throwables or summons and that makes it extra hard.

This puppet devouring sob is harder than any souls boss. Tried at least 100 times and couldn't kill it. Bosses are crazy difficult compared to regular ones in this game, it's frustrating. I'm not using throwables or summons and that makes it extra hard.
You are fighting with one arm behind your back and then complaining your yellow belt training is being beaten by black belts.

Hot5pur

The beauty of the souls games is that if you don't want to use items or summons the game will teach you how and it's enjoyable. Eventually you can do the boss without being touched. Lies of P doesn't do this well and ends up being tedious. I also dislike items and summons, just healing, maybe a weapon buff, but mostly just me n my sword.

Playing Lords of the Fallen and enjoying that much more. Feals more soulsy and bosses are balanced well with the levels difficulty wise. The dual realm mechanic and fast move speed is quite nice.

The beauty of the souls games is that if you don't want to use items or summons the game will teach you how and it's enjoyable. Eventually you can do the boss without being touched. Lies of P doesn't do this well and ends up being tedious. I also dislike items and summons, just healing, maybe a weapon buff, but mostly just me n my sword.
Sounds like a skill issue.

You can find that kinda video for every boss in every souls games but everyone knows that is impossible for regular players.
Impossible means that it could never happen and that video contradicts that theory. Just because something is challenging does not make it impossible. The question is whether you enjoy the time investment to make it happen. If not, the game provides a variety of abusable tools to bridge the gap. If you refuse to pick a road to make progress then you are shit out of luck.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Impossible means that it could never happen and that video contradicts that theory. Just because something is challenging does not make it impossible. The question is whether you enjoy the time investment to make it happen. If not, the game provides a variety of abusable tools to bridge the gap. If you refuse to pick a road to make progress then you are shit out of luck.
Of course its possible. I said its impossible(no hit boss challenge) for regular players. In the first phase, I hardly receive any hits now, but I still haven't improved the second phase. I will try another run this evening, maybe I can use some cheesy tactics after that.

Hot5pur

I think the point that some people are trying to make is that on lies of P the grind to become proficient without needing items is much harder than souls, which makes it less fun and satisfying. That is my experience with a lot of P bosses compared to souls, learning them without items is harder and less fun, it's definitely not impossible just feels like a waste of time.

I think the point that some people are trying to make is that on lies of P the grind to become proficient without needing items is much harder than souls, which makes it less fun and satisfying. That is my experience with a lot of P bosses compared to souls, learning them without items is harder and less fun, it's definitely not impossible just feels like a waste of time.
Since 3-phase Sister Freide/Gael and endless Midir boss battles exist in Dark Souls 3 you are greatly overexaggerating. Even Radagon/Elden Beast combo in Elden Ring is more tedious and less engaging than any boss battle in Lies of P. Also, if you are chugging estus you are using items...

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It was a fantastic game. I struggled to get into it at first, but after some hours, it finally clicked. It's not only the best soulslike but also a game that could surpass some FromSoftware titles. There was a significant difficulty gap between the first and second phases of certain bosses, but overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I managed to finish it without using summons or throwables, but some bosses took hours. Still, I think it was worth it. Now, I'm undecided on whether I want open-world Souls games like Elden Ring or linear, story-focused ones like this. I've missed focusing on action rather than exploration. Congratulations to the developers. FromSoftware might not be pleased with this one, and ethical discussions may arise, but as a player, I look at the game in my hands and the enjoyable hours I spent. Bring on more, let it lighten FromSoftware's workload.

It was a fantastic game. I struggled to get into it at first, but after some hours, it finally clicked. It's not only the best soulslike but also a game that could surpass some FromSoftware titles. There was a significant difficulty gap between the first and second phases of certain bosses, but overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I managed to finish it without using summons or throwables, but some bosses took hours. Still, I think it was worth it. Now, I'm undecided on whether I want open-world Souls games like Elden Ring or linear, story-focused ones like this. I've missed focusing on action rather than exploration. Congratulations to the developers. FromSoftware might not be pleased with this one, and ethical discussions may arise, but as a player, I look at the game in my hands and the enjoyable hours I spent. Bring on more, let it lighten FromSoftware's workload.
As you admitted, there is one element that it lacks in comparison to the FromSoft titles. That element is interchangeable exploration. It is a bit too linear. Everything can only happen in a specific order. I also enjoy it tremendously, but replay value is not on par with Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne for that reason. A far as Elden Ring... I think this is better simply because the challenge is consistent, there is less filler, and there is not as much cannon fodder.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It is a bit too linear. Everything can only happen in a specific order. I also enjoy it tremendously, but replay value is not on par with Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne for that reason.
As someone who completes games only once, this was exactly what I was looking for. Of course it might be troublesome for players who prefer playing repeatedly.

Just tested the Wo Long crossover items and I am pleasantly surprised. Not only does the new weapon have great range and speed, but also stagger. Add to that the fact that it is available at the start of the game and it pretty much trivializes the early sections. I really would love to see the Golden Lie given this level of stagger.
mg4uGPi.png

Top Bottom