• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lex Fridman interviews Mark Zuckerberg inside the metaverse

Aces High

this is the one i was talking about that is the smaller available but its expensive as fuck partly because it uses a custom face interface and its not stand alone like the quest, but still, small as you see it on cyberpunk fiction.
TuKmcZR.png
Yeah that's the right direction. Still too big but much better.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
thats cool, imagine in the future we will be WFH and communicate via metaverse, your manager will be looking at you 24 hours.

supernova8

Banned
Pretty amazing. All we need now is for those ultra-realistic avatars to be able to exist in shared spaces like a virtual cafe or virtual office, instead of being trapped inside infinite darkness.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Yes. Also for women who, for better or for worse, feel pressure to conform to social norms and dress codes and need to put on make up to participate in conference calls.

Well, maybe is the line of work but when travelling to talk to somone in person is usually because you want to have a deeper interaction and it seems like a device like this can fill in the gap. Personally, when I do it, it's because I need to read people's reactions to what I'm saying or I want to convey something I'm afraid could be lost during a phone call. Also, with video conferences there is a risk people are not 100% there but with this you know for sure.

That said, no development like this is going to negate the options that we already have. It's just one more option that's becoming more accesible. Don't see any drawbacks in having more options.

Gaming wise I do see an advantage as well. Playing something like magic the gathering or something like that with friends that are located in another city or at a time that is difficult to visit each other. It's just an interesting option.

In my mind is like saying that having AR in video conferences doesn't make sense because plain video conference covers everything at an acceptable manner. While that is true, AR avatars and backgrounds don't really cause a negative impact just by existing.
Totally agree, having the option is going to be cool, I just wouldn’t want it to become the default I think is what I’m concerned about.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine if they unveiled their meta verse plans with this. Would have been completely different. I get it's years away but hey ho.

Tams

Oh great. Two of the most monotonous and boring people, with inflated egos, taking to each other. And their doing it in emotionless VR bodies (oh, wait, most of that is just them normally...).

How fun.

Last edited:
Ev
It is a horrible ad. Lex may be trying to convey genuine excitement, but he doesn't have the emotional range to convey his "this is the way of the future" hype. It comes off as forced and disingenuous to me.
Everything he says feels like this, it’s why I can’t really listen to him. He’s like OpenAI that’s been trained exclusively on the gentler reddit subs.

ShadowNate

I find it amazing and it looks like this tech is almost perfected (almost) but I also find it highly unnecessary and some of its potential use makes me uneasy. Would people use it in combination with other AI tech to talk to fully rendered dead relatives or dead significant others? Or take on the fully convincing appearance of someone else?

Video conferencing/ chatting is ok for me. I don't need this in my social app.

Aces High

I cant see the advantages over Video to Video. I mean its nice and all, but why?
Is the goal, Sword Art Online?
I can see so many advantages.

You can have a business meeting at a virtual location. This could be a beach or a mountain top or the moon. Or you can create your own location with your own branding.

You can be yourself in an online multiplayer video game so people can call you ugly in VR which will then make you buy virtual beauty corrections for real money.

And then you have countless possibilities for virtual dating and cybersex.

I'm really interested to see if Zuckerberg can pull this off. He's getting a lot of hate for a lot of good reasons but this technology here is money well spent imho. Super cool stuff.

Last edited:

Pejo

Seems really cool for practical applications such as remote work meetings or talking with family/friends from halfway across the world (once Zuck gets the scanning process down to a few phone scans as he described in the video). This doesn't do anything for me for Gaming though. VR is already cool, I don't really want to put myself in a game as my avatar. It would only even make sense in multiplayer type stuff, but I don't want online schizos to know my real name, much less who I am or what I look like.

Now, can I buy a scan of Gal Gadot and put it on a bunch of NPCs in a game? There's some interest there...

Roxkis_ii

One step closer to sword art online.
Kinda reminds me of VR chat with better avatars.

I'm kinda surprised by the Lex hate. He doesn't seem like a person who would attract a lot of dislike.

Sorcerer

I see some dislike for Lex in this thread. Any particular reason? Never realized he is an Artificial Intelligence Researcher. I thought the podcast was his day job.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
la-noire.gif

Looks like LA Noire 😂

I’d rather just FaceTime someone than do this creepy shit. I’m not sold on the metaverse at all. The older I get, the more nostalgic I get for face to face conversations and actually being outside. I work in tech and think this is very interesting but I just don’t see myself ever really getting excited about this. I don’t see the net gain for society.

You're getting old. That's all. This is the beginning of avatar conversations. You're not realizing how much people don't like how they look or what to appear as someone or something else. That's the net gain for society.

Free scans for all but we are the product in real time vs AI advertising and influence. We don't stand a chance.

At least it's a better showing than last time when everyone looked like Miis.

Edit: Also hacked scan/personal data is going to lead to some wild blackmail deep fake scams and extortion.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Won't watch the video since I don't care much about the metaverse (yet) but god damn this tech is so impressive. Bordering sci-fi. At least the money Meta has been pumping in this sector seem to have made some results.

KXVXII9X

With all due respect I don’t see how this really changes anything in that scenario? So what you’re saying is you could sit in your underwear and be scanned in to the metaverse and you don’t have to dress accordingly?

Phone calls and video conferencing already negate the need to travel for 2 days to talk to someone. I don’t see how this changes anything, but more power to those who enjoy sticking screens to their eyeballs so they can chat to their manager.
Mark emphasizes over and over how this provides more presence than a phone call or video conference. Just messing around in Rec Room with my friend, he has a point. If you are just talking and just exchanging information it may be similar, but if you want to try to do an activity together and collab on something, it is the next step.

Yoda

I see some dislike for Lex in this thread. Any particular reason? Never realized he is an Artificial Intelligence Researcher. I thought the podcast was his day job.
While I wouldn't say I 'dislike' him, I find his conversational skills lacking. It feels like he's trying to have a conversation, but it lands as just a scripted interview. Compare it to say Joe Rogan, where it feels like you're listening in on an actual conversation.

While I wouldn't say I 'dislike' him, I find his conversational skills lacking. It feels like he's trying to have a conversation, but it lands as just a scripted interview. Compare it to say Joe Rogan, where it feels like you're listening in on an actual conversation.
I would agree that Lex has a very dry and almost robotic delivery in his conversations with guests, but from the few interviews I've seen the topics are so interesting that I can look past that. Joe Rogan on the other hand is one obnoxious dude. He frequently interrupts guests and IMO just seems to enjoy hearing himself talk.

Sorcerer

I get that. Also, now I see that it's not his day job and that explains a lot. He comes across as someone who seems enamored to be speaking with the people he is interviewing, and I think it is kind of endearing in a way. More fan than professional but yes that can be grating if that's not what one usually expects. This came across when he interviewed Todd Howard and couldn't stop gushing about how much he loved games like Skyrim and Fallout. It put a smile on my face because I believed him, and he didn't seem to be paying lip service to Todd for the sake of it. Not like a Jimmy Fallon, where everyone on the couch is his favorite performer and moves him immensely. Do I think Jimmy every listened to a Taylor Swift album in his life? Unlikely. LOL!!!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

That's the best thing about Lex. He doesn't try to dominate the conversation. The guest gets equal footing on his show.

Top Bottom