• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lex Fridman interviews Mark Zuckerberg inside the metaverse

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Putting this in gaming since the tech is highly applicable and it’s about virtual worlds enabled by VR headsets.

They got full body scans done to create realistic virtual avatars for use in this interview. Zuck imagines avatar scanning will become commonplace in the near future. He’s working on being able to do it at a similar quality with a smartphone at home over a few minutes.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
la-noire.gif

Looks like LA Noire 😂

I’d rather just FaceTime someone than do this creepy shit. I’m not sold on the metaverse at all. The older I get, the more nostalgic I get for face to face conversations and actually being outside. I work in tech and think this is very interesting but I just don’t see myself ever really getting excited about this. I don’t see the net gain for society.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is gonna be very cool in a few years. But it also makes it even funnier that Meta's actual current metaverse thing is so hilariously awful. I realize that what we're seeing here isn't possible on a standalone Quest today, nor is this high fidelity scanning possible for the average person, but still. Meta Horizon or whatever it's called is SO. AWFUL.

Last edited:
This is actually fucking insane. Seems like Zuck gave up on his Wii graphics version of the metaverse in pursuit of this. This is tech I can get behind.

Imagine how cool full blown VR chat would be with this tech.

Eotheod

That's is some fucking impressive technology right there. I'm assuming some format of AI (and not Mark AI) is being utilised to generate the skin texturing and facial recognition. It is so damn smooth.

hinch7

Expected to be cringe and terrible. But man.. that looks pretty incredible and lifelike. Not into VR really but thats some impressive tech.

Eotheod

I tried to watch it but man it feels like an ad
That is one horrible ad if you think that's advertising. I mean, it is in the sense it's advertising a product's development but it certainly isn't a traditional style ad.

Last edited:

Bry0

That's is some fucking impressive technology right there. I'm assuming some format of AI (and not Mark AI) is being utilised to generate the skin texturing and facial recognition. It is so damn smooth.
they had their faces scanned and the faces movements are done using the face and eye tracking cameras that the quest pro has.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That is one horrible ad if you think that's advertising. I mean, it is in the sense it's advertising a product's development but it certainly isn't a traditional style ad.
It is a horrible ad. Lex may be trying to convey genuine excitement, but he doesn't have the emotional range to convey his "this is the way of the future" hype. It comes off as forced and disingenuous to me.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

la-noire.gif

Looks like LA Noire 😂

I’d rather just FaceTime someone than do this creepy shit. I’m not sold on the metaverse at all. The older I get, the more nostalgic I get for face to face conversations and actually being outside. I work in tech and think this is very interesting but I just don’t see myself ever really getting excited about this. I don’t see the net gain for society.
Maybe it will usher in an era of civil discourse on the net. Typically, we are gentler with someone face to face vs behind a username. I can see many awful use cases with stolen identity and such, but imagine a world where me and you argue about StarTrek vs Star Wars while being able to look each other in the virtual eyes.

Then imagine I give you a look and a wink. You smirk, then get closer. We inch closer towards each other until we are almost nose to nose. You close your eyes and lean in for me to then slap you and proclaim "I'm Rick James Bitch!!" (All virtually)

Last edited:

Putting this in gaming since the tech is highly applicable and it’s about virtual worlds enabled by VR headsets.

They got full body scans done to create realistic virtual avatars for use in this interview. Zuck imagines avatar scanning will become commonplace in the near future. He’s working on being able to do it at a similar quality with a smartphone at home over a few minutes.

The rendering actually reminds me a bit of Matrix Revolutions, a movie that was commonly described at the time by rendering enthusiasts as the first time with believable full 3D face close ups. Except of course that this is real time today, whereas back then it was not.

Keihart

That's actually pretty amazing. But they need to shrink the headsets much more.
did you see the quest 3? its 500 bucks and its super small thanks in part to the new lenses, it looks bigger because of the face interface.
Size wise, hmds are getting super small, there is another one thats super expensive and looks like cyberpunk glasses, mostly because the face interface is cutom made for every user.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That looks amazing. I wonder if this was always their long term goal or if they changed direction after the backlash from some of those now infamous shots.

mortal

Gold Member

Though it may not be as natural as being in the physical world, it's arguably a step up from the current interfaces we use on our devices for online communication.
Making eye contact with an actual face within a virtual space feels more immersive than staring at a person through a screen,
and more intuitive without the "friction" of touching glass or pressing keys.

Hopefully, the next demo of this will allow those of us with supported headsets to view this interview within the metaverse rather than a YouTube video.
It would've certainly made this interview all the more surreal. It's almost like you're another guest sharing the same virtual space, or perhaps a virtual self sitting in a live virtual audience.

It's moments like this that make it seem more like the idea of a Matrix/simulation is a self-fulfilling prophecy. 😅 Interesting times, to say the least.

A.Romero

la-noire.gif

Looks like LA Noire 😂

Don't worry, you will be able to just FaceTime people or travel and talk to them if you prefer.

Personally I do see gain, I'm also in tech. For example, I don't have to worry about wearing a nice shirt for video conferences or waste 2 days to travel to talk to someone for work.

I mean, we can do video conference and it hasn't killed parties, bars or nightclubs so I don't see how this would.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I don't have to worry about wearing a nice shirt for video conferences or waste 2 days to travel to talk to someone for work.
With all due respect I don’t see how this really changes anything in that scenario? So what you’re saying is you could sit in your underwear and be scanned in to the metaverse and you don’t have to dress accordingly?

Phone calls and video conferencing already negate the need to travel for 2 days to talk to someone. I don’t see how this changes anything, but more power to those who enjoy sticking screens to their eyeballs so they can chat to their manager.

A.Romero

With all due respect I don’t see how this really changes anything in that scenario? So what you’re saying is you could sit in your underwear and be scanned in to the metaverse and you don’t have to dress accordingly?

Phone calls and video conferencing already negate the need to travel for 2 days to talk to someone. I don’t see how this changes anything, but more power to those who enjoy sticking screens to their eyeballs so they can chat to their manager.

Yes. Also for women who, for better or for worse, feel pressure to conform to social norms and dress codes and need to put on make up to participate in conference calls.

Well, maybe is the line of work but when travelling to talk to somone in person is usually because you want to have a deeper interaction and it seems like a device like this can fill in the gap. Personally, when I do it, it's because I need to read people's reactions to what I'm saying or I want to convey something I'm afraid could be lost during a phone call. Also, with video conferences there is a risk people are not 100% there but with this you know for sure.

That said, no development like this is going to negate the options that we already have. It's just one more option that's becoming more accesible. Don't see any drawbacks in having more options.

Gaming wise I do see an advantage as well. Playing something like magic the gathering or something like that with friends that are located in another city or at a time that is difficult to visit each other. It's just an interesting option.

In my mind is like saying that having AR in video conferences doesn't make sense because plain video conference covers everything at an acceptable manner. While that is true, AR avatars and backgrounds don't really cause a negative impact just by existing.

sachos

They've been demoing their Codec Avatars for a while now, its good to see them not abandon it and show the potential of this tech in this interview. In the future you will do the scan with either your phone or the own headset cameras. You will have a photoreal avatar of yourself that you can then take to "anywhere" in the world. Instead of a facetime call with your brother across the globe you can catch up either at a photorealistic beach or right there in their livingroom with photorealistic AR avatars.
This will also get even crazier when you think about an AR/VR avatar like this controlled by a GPT-6 level AI, with equally real AI voice. Think about AI tutors that never lose patience with you. Or what about Esports events where you sit around a photoreal crowd watching the games. Virtual events.
So much potential, the future we are moving into is wild.

Last edited:

Aces High

did you see the quest 3? its 500 bucks and its super small thanks in part to the new lenses, it looks bigger because of the face interface.
Size wise, hmds are getting super small, there is another one thats super expensive and looks like cyberpunk glasses, mostly because the face interface is cutom made for every user.
I can't see VR getting mass market appeal until it becomes really small.

Quest 3 is still many generations too big.

By small I mean something like this:

7Lw8w80.jpg

But with everything that's transparent being screen:

O91Sfj6.jpg

This is just a gut feeling. I can't see the current headsets being interesting for many women.

Keihart

I can't see VR getting mass market appeal until it becomes really small.

Quest 3 is still many generations too big.

By small I mean something like this:

7Lw8w80.jpg

But with everything that's transparent being screen:

O91Sfj6.jpg

This is just a gut feeling. I can't see the current headsets being interesting for many women.
this is the one i was talking about that is the smaller available but its expensive as fuck partly because it uses a custom face interface and its not stand alone like the quest, but still, small as you see it on cyberpunk fiction.
TuKmcZR.png

phaedrus

OK, so let me get this right:

You've given Zuckerberg your real name & phone number, your web browsing & spending habits, your location info (ergo workplace & home addresses) etc, all of this personal info that he's "accidentally" leaked every couple of years like clockwork.

So NOW you're gonna give this mofo your full body scan incl highres 3D scans of your face, high quality sample of your voice, and your head & body gesture patterns?

KMTjZNk.gif

Top Bottom