• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk gaming laptops...

Show some benches for cp everything maxed out, would love to see it. Congratz man. How much did it set you back?
It won't be here for a week but I'm definitely going to try and see how it handles CP77 with the expansion. B&H dropped the price by a $100 compared to when I posted it last. It's now $2600. It's actually still that price right now. If it's the equivalent of a destop 4080 then I think I'm good to go for about 5 years unless there's a massive increase in recommended requirements again like what happened this year with stuff like Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor and Starfield.

Honestly a 4080 laptop is probably the best bang for the buck but I wanted the 16GB VRAM.

Kenpachii

It won't be here for a week but I'm definitely going to try and see how it handles CP77 with the expansion. B&H dropped the price by a $100 compared to when I posted it last. It's now $2600. It's actually still that price right now. If it's the equivalent of a destop 4080 then I think I'm good to go for about 5 years unless there's a massive increase in recommended requirements again like what happened this year with stuff like Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor and Starfield.

Honestly a 4080 laptop is probably the best bang for the buck but I wanted the 16GB VRAM.

Well the one thing i noticed with the steam deck is that games are incredible scalable so i hope that stays the case. But yea we saw a good jump in performance requirement the last year or so. Last of US1, returnal, hogwarts, erveus or whatever its called, new RT preset on cyberpunk and expansion coming out. That having some higher performance hardware will be the better option. It was also a reason for me after testing cyberpunk with the new RT mode to go for a faster chip,. but specially the 4gb of v-ram extra is what did it, i can see how the 16gb would be the deal breaker for you, 16gb is the sweat spot atm i feel like. But that 4090 will last you a long long time for sure.

Wish nvidia upped the v-ram a bit more tho, 20gb for 4090, 16 for 4080 and 12 for 4070, now atm 4070 feels kinda useless most of the time.

However 12gb will do for me, as i only sit at 1080p/1200p anyway.

That laptop u linked is 3400 euro here, so yea out of my budget for sure.

K2D

Banned
Nearly $3000 for one with MORE than 8 GBs of vram where I live. It's just not worth it imo.

Bought a refurbished laptop with i7 11800 and 3070 for 1300. That seemed like the highest value deal I could get.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

So the new laptop with the 4080 and 12900hx finally arrived today. slammed 64gb of ddr5 mem in it and got my 2tb 7000/5000 nvme + 4tb nvme installed in it. I must say opening that thing up was hard because i forgot a screw, loads of copper in it.

hmx0vk3.jpg
fhYzNtt.jpg

Must say build quality is nice, its a bit bigger and heavier then the 4060 laptop. the main complain is the dam power brick which is a massive 330w one, its twice the size and weight of the 4060 one, but oh well.

Cooling is amazing on this thing, if u slam it at the highest performance mode it cools like a boss. Sound is a bit higher then the 4060.

Tested the laptop out a bit, and i must say the performance jump up is massive, in control i went from 60 fps, max settings + rt and dlss on to something like 130-140 in a really demanding area. More pictures about the performance under here.

In 3DMark, the 4060 laptop was around 11000 gpu score and around 9000 cpu score, the 4080, is around the 19000 gpu score aand 15000 cpu score. Big jump in performance.

here are some screenshots with performance. It's basically 2x faster then the 4060 and sometimes with heavy RT loads 2,5x. Massive jump in performance.

All screenshots are from max RT, max settings, framegen if it got it and dlss quality if it got it, and 1920x1200 resolution.

Hogwart maxed out, only in the early stage of the game, probably have far harder tanking spots, but still 4060 did about 110 here, so a bit more then double fps wise.

5p.png

horizon forbidden west or something, hovers between the 120-150 fps max settings. Plays super smooth

6p.png

Witcher 3 next gen update, ~110 fps at the harder spots, full rt, max hairworks and dlss quality. Amazing performance.

7p.png

Riftbreaker, yea this is with RT and FSR quality ( doesn't have dlss for some reason ). absolute insane framerates.

8p.png

Maxed out with DLSS quality buldar gate 3, didn't got far just at the start so no clue about act 3. But god dam framerate hovers around the 200 fps so dam smooth.

9p.png

10p.png

Sea of thieves, ~150 in villages, ~300 on boats. U drown in fps.
aPmdxZw.jpg

This one suprised me the most, heard it was a framerate tanker, but from the start to this point it hovers around the 170 fps, never saw it go below the 150, sometimes hits 200. That's with RT, framegen + dlss quality. It plays so dam smooth. Eats v-ram tho, constantly hovering around the 11gb.

JDVL7U4.jpg

Divinity 2 second act village. Endless framerates.

0bebb9e2225e488433c14ea254de5f9c.jpg

And fucking starfield, max setting fsr on harder parts to render u hit around the ~60, start area of city is around the ~70, fights inside around ~100 fps, really nice and smooth. In doors and even outdoors fighting area's are 100+ also. the game is so much more better when the framerates are smooth, the lowish 60's make it feel janky.

This is without any mods so no dlss or framegen.

cca0bc490c311c7e7d0a8797697923b8.jpg

This is with framegen and dlss

86fa54b9e082ef20c520d9cb5b41dec0.jpg

3efa757f03e93ce87e7a6b59b7c2bcf0.jpg

1cc65d7b86ea2f987ecb37129714d4a6.jpg

Honestly i am floored by the fact that laptops have come so far, the performance is simple nothing but amazing in my view. It's fantastic. I wasn't to sure about framegen after some bad rep it got by people, but honestly after experiencing it, i won't be turning it off. It's fantastic. It makes games that are hard cpu limited a lot more smoother like for example starfield. It's just fantastic.

So far really happy with the upgrade.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, on laptop side you pretty much have to either go for a 4080 or go for say 4070 but expect to buy a new system in under 3 years if you want higher frame rates. Although at 1080p it would still be ok.

And it's all due to Nvidia being super stingy with VRAM and AMD simply not even bothering with laptops this Gen.

Kenpachii

Wow at that Starfield framerate. I guess Todd was right and we just really needed to upgrade.

Todd needs to stop sniffing his own bullshit and start implementing basic features that heavily benefit the games performance. This game is perfect for DLSS 3.0 framegen and a native solution would be absolutely wonderful. Specially because its a shooter. The visuals at time are nice but in the city, men npc's, lighting, tree's it looks really rough for the performance it requires.

Yeah, on laptop side you pretty much have to either go for a 4080 or go for say 4070 but expect to buy a new system in under 3 years if you want higher frame rates. Although at 1080p it would still be ok.

And it's all due to Nvidia being super stingy with VRAM and AMD simply not even bothering with laptops this Gen.

I think 12gb of v-ram for 1080p is doable. I was surprised at 1080p how much v-ram actaully gets used in games with my 4060 laptop i had earlier. So that also opted me to move a grade up towards 12gb of v-ram. luckely they sold a 1200p resolution screen instead of 1600p screens which increases v-ram budget in games already drastically just because of resolution. The overkill performance the 4080 atm gives at 1200p is just a bonus really and makes me enable all settings as result without problems, a a nice thing to have.

I expect the 5000 series to come out with another performance increase feature + large jump in performance, so the laptop needs to be cheap enough also to replace in 2025 when those laptops are going to be announced most likely. As Nvidia mentioned there new gpu's are planned for that time window.

So yea v-ram should be higher and that's a big boon that the 4090 has 16gb of v-ram atm.

Anyway, tested some more games here are the pics, had nothing to do so why not.

Maxed out settings, raytracing on, dlss quality, framegen on ( if the games have it )

Grounded, 80 on 4060, ~160 on the 4080 big performance difference.

2m5bdAR.jpg

battlefield 1, Fucking game slammed my tv in HDR pain in the ass to get rid of it, runs like a dream a bit older game now already.

2tJIQqy.jpg

Quake 2 RT, the 4060 sat around the 80, this sits around the 130. Good jump upwards and runs smooth as butter.

CMZJrHL.jpg

Battlefield 2042 random map, seems to run wonderful with RT on.

Cnb1GUf.jpg

Good old valheim looking over my house, always tanks performance, but performs still very well. forests u can see ~180. super smooth basically.

SAIJSpi.jpg

AC games are resources hogs specially in this middle part of the city. Incredible performance really, even deletes my 9900k on my old desktop.

44CghYM.jpg

Halo infinity, around the 60-80 maxed out on 4060 and about ~140 on the 4080. Big difference in smoothness.

odpQsRH.jpg

Valhalla one of the more demanding places, 120 fps is pretty insane really to see that here. outside it goes up to ~170's. Kinda amazed by the performance this laptop gets in AC games.

H0Min6A.jpg

Red dead redemption 2, HUB settings. Honestly the absolute max settings destroy even current day gpu's my 3080 at 3440x1440 would see dips to 30's, so u better of going for the hub ones. ( will have a picture later on for max settings tho ).

But 71% gpu usage and 150 fps is pretty insane.

NmtrG83.jpg

Another BF 2042 map with raytracing on, dat performance.

m03wP1X.jpg

And here it is max settings RDR2 in the place i am in, Weird part is u stand behind a tree on teh right looking at nothing framerate goes down to 70 lol. no clue what these devs did with those max settings.

naoMSSi.jpg

AC odyssey, max settings absolute resource hog because fog and clouds nuke your framerate and cpu gets eaten alive, in atlantis and performance is still great.

NL1uEuw.jpg

Spiderman remastered, everything max, rt max, framegen on, dlss quality. Goes from 140-180 fps.

4gUixm5.jpg

Uses ac odyssey engine, it's noticeable because of framerate. This game just needs to be brute forced. Still wonderful looking and playing game tho. Sadly no new entry anymore. this is a more demanding area, but 100 fps is still smooth. ( ubisoft give it dlss 3 lets go )

2XpxSlp.jpg

Returnal absolute resource hog on PC, steam deck couldn't play it really so bought it to test it out and it sits around the 100-130 fps with RT maxed out. super smooth, actually a fun little game.

vwUuM7S.jpg

The last of us 1, heard the game was a resource hog and was hard to run, this the hardest part in a half hour of playing i have on it to render yet, sits at around 124 fps. I must say no stuttering at all, runs like a boss. Maybe they patched it in the meantime because yea it runs like a charm.

cUV4ktc.jpg

Good old dad of war, hard game to render DLSS 3 would be wonderful in this, sadly they won't revisit it most likely. but sits at around 100 fps at max settings which means ultra+.

R62x4aQ.jpg

The shit show that's called the medium, where they got raytracing dual screen mechanics which basically halfs your framerate in half and a bit more. still 60+ tho.

46ii9ed.jpeg

All with all lots of fun testing stuff, out, new oled LG C2 screen arrives tommorow, can't wait for that to arrive and revisit the games with the glorious colors going on.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

What is the best 4070 Laptop out there atm for the price?

Looking to get one for when I'm away from my Desktop (4 out of 7 days)

I had one a couple years back and when it was running games it sounded like I was vacuuming it was so bloody loud. Got pretty hot too.

It is usually the case that you only get 2 out of the following with any laptop:

1. Light and good battery life
2. Decent gaming performance
3. Relatively quiet with a chassis that is cooler than the Sun.

The only way in which an expensive gaming laptop makes sense is if you travel around, and don't mind setting the laptop on a desk and plugging it into the mains.

The pricing of the new Razer ones is bonkers.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I feel kind of defeated with my recent purchase.

-MSI Raider ge76 (refurbished) $1300 (insane prices and supply options in my country, but 5 years consumer protection)
-I7 11800 and 3070

I have idle temps on cpu in the 50's°c (122f) and task spikes well on its way to the 80/90's (190f).

In Black Mesa I had 95c, up until "Xen", where I experience 100°'s.

Gut feeling is telling me to return it within the 30-days. (I'm tempted to go liquid metal, as I'm comfortable that I won't cause any damage, but the refurbished part has me anxious).

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I feel kind off defeated with my recent purchase.

-MSI Raider ge76 (refurbished) $1300 (insanly prices and supply options, but 5 consumer protection)
-I7 11800 and 3070

I have idle temps on cpu in the 50's°c (122f) and task spikes well on its way to the 80/90's (190f).

In Black Mesa I had 95c up until Xen where I experience 100°'s.

Gut feeling is telling me to return it within the 30-days. (I'm tempted to go liquid metal, as I'm comfortable I won't cause any damage, but the refurbished part has me anxious).
I would return it. Never know what's going on with a refurb and you are already seeing issues.

clarky

Gold Member
Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I feel kind of defeated with my recent purchase.

-MSI Raider ge76 (refurbished) $1300 (insane prices and supply options in my country, but 5 years consumer protection)
-I7 11800 and 3070

In Black Mesa I had 95c, up until "Xen", where I experience 100°'s.

Gut feeling is telling me to return it within the 30-days. (I'm tempted to go liquid metal, as I'm comfortable that I won't cause any damage, but the refurbished part has me anxious).
If you already feel like that then like the other poster said, return it. Youre spending big money on a high end purchase, it should make you wet, not remorseful.

Beechos

Size and heat are big pain in the asses for gaming laptops. I personally would go for a macbook with the m2 chip is prob a good compromise for all things considered.

I have a hp omen with a 3070 connect to a ultra wide-screen monitor which I mainly use for rts and vr. I don't lug it around anymore too big and heavy. I have a surface pro as a productivity/portability machine.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

it's still not here
rip my hopes and dreams of a future filled with fake frames

Dam that sucks, hope it comes in fast.

Anyway, got some high temps as i have my laptop flat on table that doesn't leave for much airflow underneat. So decided to get some cooling pad for 30 bucks and frankly, amazing results. the pad is near silent but blows air into the fans.

My CPU went from 91-95c to 82c, and the GPU went from 85 to 72. Results more performance because higher clocks. Cyberpunk 1080p with pathtracing and lightning on psycho moved from 84 low to 92 lows. Big jump in performance. The laptop fans are also a lot more quiet so win win.

Dr.D00p

Mobile GPU nomenclature is a marketing scam rip off.

You've bought a 4080 equipped laptop which has 12GB of VRAM because its basically only a 4070 desktop class GPU.

Then it shouldn't be called the same as its desktop counterpoint. It's misleading.
Yeah, Nvidia used to label mobile GPUs but I guess they make more money this way.

On another note, it turns out my order was coming from Lenovo in China and was held in customs for nearly a week. It only got cleared last night. Which means it won't be moving until Monday. What's the fucking point of having expedited shipping if it's more than a week late?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yeah, Nvidia used to label mobile GPUs but I guess they make more money this way.

On another note, it turns out my order was coming from Lenovo in China and was held in customs for nearly a week. It only got cleared last night. Which means it won't be moving until Monday. What's the fucking point of having expedited shipping if it's more than a week late?

Dam that sucks. Well atleast its not far away anymore.

Got some cyberpunk 2.0 results

Everything maxed out with psycho reflections and pathtracing + framegen + dlss quality at 1080p.

uAE9Kvd.jpeg

Disabled framegen

X2RPZ8t.jpeg

Disabled DLSS quality + framegen.

m5tFkbK.jpeg

Played the whole campaign for 15 hours long, saw it dip to high 80's at stress full times, but in general it was sitting around the 100. Really great performance and the game looks absolutely stunning.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Well fuck me backwards, laptop starts to have issue's. Getting another with a 4080 is going to cost me a ton more money like 550 more. not feeling it

Kenpachii

It's not covered under warranty?

There is a seal under the laptop i broke, because i wanted to slam 64gb memory and 6tb ssd space in there. So yea. Talked with one of the support people from the company i bought it, they going to ask if i can return it. but repairing takes months before u get it back so no thanks. This was a steal of a laptop price wise, another one with the same hardware is 550 more expensive. So gotta see what i am going to do. Hard to go back to a 4060 after messing around with a 4080 tho.

clarky

Gold Member
I really wish gaming laptops would stop using the same naming scheme as their desktop counterparts when they are in no way comparable.
Yep. I found general rule of thumb is you'll be getting the same performance as the previous gen desktop edition. So this years mobile 4090 is similar to the 3090 desktop. As long as you know this going in, but yeah they really should be called something completely different.

Benchmark.jpg

Finally arrived. Don't really have the time to play but couldn't resist not trying the benchmark at least. Everything maxed. Not bad at all considering I'm running with stock settings and and in balanced mode instead of performance/custom.

Last edited:
cyberpunk.jpg

Got to tweaking it a bit more over the weekend. Such a huge upgrade over my 3070ti laptop that can barely maintain 40 FPS if I so much as activate raytracing. I was going to post screenshots but HDR makes them look washed out like crazy, you can even see it in the benchmark results lol.

Kenpachii

cyberpunk.jpg

Got to tweaking it a bit more over the weekend. Such a huge upgrade over my 3070ti laptop that can barely maintain 40 FPS if I so much as activate raytracing. I was going to post screenshots but HDR makes them look washed out like crazy, you can even see it in the benchmark results lol.

Yea i disable HDR in general, shit burns my eyes. Specially for making pictures its shit.

Kenpachii

Using the 4080 laptop now for a month and must say i am impressed by its performance. Absolute destroys any game without problems at 1080p. on the LG C2 it looks fantastic specially with DLSS. Can't be happier.

For people that want to see results of 4080 laptop in games, made a channel on youtube where i run a buttload of games with and update it whenever i can with new games. Could be interesting for future buyers.

Justin9mm

Unless you have lots of cash or you are away a lot and need the mobility. In most cases, gaming laptops are a bad financial decision. Cool to have but just not good value.

Justin9mm

clarky

Gold Member
Had the Razer Blade 16 about 3 weeks now. I have to say what a freaking machine. Absolutely zero issues. The mini led display is burn your eyeballs out bright. Very impressive stuff. Might be the first laptop I've had in 20 years that I'm totally happy with. Should be for that price i suppose.

Going to repaste if you can call it that with PTM7950 when i get home. Temps are fine but after checking out other peoples results with this stuff i can't not.

A.M_Light

Neo Member
That 8GB VRAM is probably not going to have long legs. It's pretty lacking for a 4070 as opposed to the standard 12GB variant.
I get what you are saying but for the price this is incredible to me because I am content with 1440p to 1080p gaming. I am coming from a laptop with an i5 8400 h and a gtx 1050ti . I was goi to be happy with a 4060 so the 4070 is a bonus .

My 3060 laptop is still going strong. Running Baldur’s Gate 3 at 4K HDR on my LG C1 at a solid 60fps thanks to DLSS.

I am keeping my eye on desktop prices going into the holiday season though. I’d love to be able to run games like the Witcher and Cyberpunk with raytracing. The 3060 gets around 25fps there.

My 3060 laptop is still going strong. Running Baldur’s Gate 3 at 4K HDR on my LG C1 at a solid 60fps thanks to DLSS.

I am keeping my eye on desktop prices going into the holiday season though. I’d love to be able to run games like the Witcher and Cyberpunk with raytracing. The 3060 gets around 25fps there.
Also went from a laptop on a C1 to a desktop. You won't regret it.

Don't think they do 2080ti in a laptop, think its 2080/2080 super, from memory, could be wrong.

That will really struggle at anything above 1080p for the latest and greatest these days though I think.

Well whatever 2080 is fine with me. I plan on gaming in 1080p for a long time. Do you know of any good laptops with that spec?

clarky

Gold Member
Well whatever 2080 is fine with me. I plan on gaming in 1080p for a long time. Do you know of any good laptops with that spec?
I'm just knocking for for the night but if nobody answers ill take a look for you tomorrow.

I have a Razer 2080 at home that served me well but that has a 4k screen which is over kill for that GPU.

I'm just knocking for for the night but if nobody answers ill take a look for you tomorrow.

I have a Razer 2080 at home that served me well but that has a 4k screen which is over kill for that GPU.

Thanks man

I really don't need a 3000 series laptop

I've been looking for a 2000 series laptop online but no luck

clarky

Gold Member
Thanks man

I really don't need a 3000 series laptop

I've been looking for a 2000 series laptop online but no luck
Where are you based the US?

You might have to go the discontinued route or second hand market, as you probably know, you're 2 gens behind there.

Manufacturers normally phase out the current line up after 2 gens or so in my experience.

Ill take a look later if i get the chance.

Edit: Yeah just had a quick look if you want a 2080 then youll need to look second hand as far as i can see.

TBH even if you could buy one the price difference wouldn't be far off a 3070ti laptop imo.

Last edited:
Where are you based the US?

You might have to go the discontinued route or second hand market, as you probably know, you're 2 gens behind there.

Manufacturers normally phase out the current line up after 2 gens or so in my experience.

Ill take a look later if i get the chance.

Illinois

As for me I'm fine with gaming in 1080p

So for me anything in the 3000 series is overkill for me

Anything that's a 2060, 2070 or 2080 is fine with me. But yeah that's my guess I have to look at the second hand market

Last edited:
Top Bottom