• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk gaming laptops...

Sleepwalker

Illinois

As for me I'm fine with gaming in 1080p

So for me anything in the 3000 series is overkill for me

Anything that's a 2060, 2070 or 2080 is fine with me. But yeah that's my guess I have to look at the second hand market

The 30 series in the laptop space are 1080p cards and come with screens of that resolution, they are not 4k and can be gotten under 1k usd if you search for deals. A 3060 laptop is more or less comparable to a 2060/2070.

Plus it would be new with a warranty.

manfestival

kinda wishing my laptop was a 1080. It is this weird 2560x1600 resolution on mine. It still outperforms my desktop amazingly but I think for this tiny screen... rather have the smaller default resolution.... or at least a normal 2k. Loving this laptop for sure.

A.M_Light

Neo Member
My legion 5i pro finally arrived and i couldn't be happier.
Coming from a low end 2018 legion laptop with an i5 8300h & gtx 1050ti and a medicore 1080p 60hz screen to this is a huge jump for me. Managed to get it from B&H used with a rating of 9 for a total of 1581$ including shipping and taxes which is a crazy good
deal because the same laptop with the same specs cost 2720$ in my country. And although it was used to me it feels brand new . I am getting amazing performance in ishin like a dragon, lies of p and starfield compared to my series X. Here are the full specs

2.2 GHz Intel Core i9 24-Core (13th Gen)

32GB DDR5 RAM 5600

| 1TB NVMe SSD

16" 2560 x 1600 240 Hz IPS Display

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 (8GB GDDR6)

USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 | USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 | HDMI Wi-Fi 6E (802.11ax)

| Bluetooth 5.1

Gigabit Ethernet Port

1080p Full HD Webcam with Dual-Mic Array 4-Zone

RGB Backlit Keyboard

Windows 11 Home

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well I've bought a Lenovo LOQ Ryzen 7 7840HS Nvidia 4060 16GB 1TB SSD. I opted for 1080p as for me that's enough for a small screen.

Was considering a desktop but a laptop will get more use as a allrounder for everyone in the household. Got to say I'm impressed not that loud at all (but I don't have it in performance mode) and it's nice to tinker about with all the settings etc.

That's where I'm impressed ends. I bought this laptop mainly for browsing/ watching Youtube etc but thought why not treat myself and have a 4060 in there to have a play about with now and again. But I'm lucky if I get 2 hours browsing with screen brightness at 33%, no background apps running, also 4060 disabled so its running off the IGPU. Basically in with all possible setting on low.

Now I didn't expect this to be the most power efficient laptop but 2 hours browsing mainly texts sites like this one is a joke on a 4 day old laptop. The reviews I read where getting over 7 hours general browsing and one got 6 hours watching a video at 720p on Youtube (also those had the WQXGA screens which use more power). I didn't expect to match exactly those tests but even 75% of what they where achieving I would have been happy.

Been in contact with Lenovo and they are going to monitor my battery etc and get back in touch with me.

What are other people who also use their gaming laptops for general use getting from their batteries.

Thanks for any advise or help.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Well I've bought a Lenovo LOQ Ryzen 7 7840HS Nvidia 4060 16GB 1TB SSD. I opted for 1080p as for me that's enough for a small screen.

Was considering a desktop but a laptop will get more use as a allrounder for everyone in the household. Got to say I'm impressed not that loud at all (but I don't have it in performance mode) and it's nice to tinker about with all the settings etc.

That's where I'm impressed ends. I bought this laptop mainly for browsing/ watching Youtube etc but thought why not treat myself and have a 4060 in there to have a play about with now and again. But I'm lucky if I get 2 hours browsing with screen brightness at 33%, no background apps running, also 4060 disabled so its running off the IGPU. Basically in with all possible setting on low.

Now I didn't expect this to be the most power efficient laptop but 2 hours browsing mainly texts sites like this one is a joke on a 4 day old laptop. The reviews I read where getting over 7 hours general browsing and one got 6 hours watching a video at 720p on Youtube (also those had the WQXGA screens which use more power). I didn't expect to match exactly those tests but even 75% of what they where achieving I would have been happy.

Been in contact with Lenovo and they are going to monitor my battery etc and get back in touch with me.

What are other people who also use their gaming laptops for general use getting from their batteries.

That doesn't sound right mate. I'm not familiar with Ryzen laptops but I'm sure they have an optimus equivalent. The kind of battery life you're getting would equate to it running off the 4060.

Maybe someone with a similar laptop could chip in but that would be an RMA for me.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
Due to Covid & Mining, i wasn't able to buy an RTX 3000 to upgrade my PC ; However i had a very good deal on a Legion 5 Pro with an AMD Ryzen 5800h & 3070 for sub 1200 € so this allowed me to discover the gaming laptop universe.
There is a real comfy feeling about the possibility to play anywhere at first but being mostly sedentary this is not a major pro on my end though it's quite appreciable.
I was surprised how it handled my 2160 screen & gaming without (relatively) too much noise at 120W. Performance surprised me for a low consumption GPU despite the laptop 3070 being more on par with a 3060 desktop. An overall very good discovery.

However i would never pay more than 2000 € for a laptop. There is too much of a performance degradation & noise difference between desktop & laptop to justify the cost.
When i see the new 4090 laptops costing around 4000 € which is 1000 € more than a full high end desktop while being around half the GPU power of the desktop 4090 I'm really wondering who purchase this.
Maybe hardcore gamers that are always on the run with no attachment ?

Kenpachii

Due to Covid & Mining, i wasn't able to buy an RTX 3000 to upgrade my PC ; However i had a very good deal on a Legion 5 Pro with an AMD Ryzen 5800h & 3070 for sub 1200 € so this allowed me to discover the gaming laptop universe.
There is a real comfy feeling about the possibility to play anywhere at first but being mostly sedentary this is not a major pro on my end though it's quite appreciable.
I was surprised how it handled my 2160 screen & gaming without (relatively) too much noise at 120W. Performance surprised me for a low consumption GPU despite the laptop 3070 being more on par with a 3060 desktop. An overall very good discovery.

However i would never pay more than 2000 € for a laptop. There is too much of a performance degradation & noise difference between desktop & laptop to justify the cost.
When i see the new 4090 laptops costing around 4000 € which is 1000 € more than a full high end desktop while being around half the GPU power of the desktop 4090 I'm really wondering who purchase this.

People that travel a lot and want the best performance at higher settings and higher resolutions screens.

But i agree, 3400-4000 what 4090's cost here are way overpriced versus what's available below it.

Last edited:

Rivdoric

Neo Member
People that travel a lot and want the best performance at higher settings and higher resolutions screens.

But i agree, 3400-4000 what 4090's cost here are way overpriced versus what's available below it.

Just imagine going home after a long journey. Trying to sleep on the plane, arms crossed, head against the round window.
You're slowly drifting away, the quietness of the night unfurling it's arms around the clouds, soothing you.
Very gently, you eyes are getting heavier and heavier.....
And then unexpectedly, your seat neighbour unfolds his 4090 laptop and start spreading 250W noise around 👀.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Just imagine going home after a long journey. Trying to sleep on the plane, arms crossed, head against the round window.
You're slowly drifting away, the quietness of the night unfurling it's arms around the clouds, soothing you.
And then unexpectedly, your seat neighbour unfolds his 4090 laptop and start spreading 250W noise around 👀.
Maybe on a train. A proper gaming laptop is way too big in my experience to use in an economy class seat. Business class on the other hand, game on.

Kenpachii

I was more thinking about hotel rooms and other places of family u travel towards.

Metnut

Eluktronics has really well made machines and great support. Check them out if you want a fair price on a beast laptop.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
That doesn't sound right mate. I'm not familiar with Ryzen laptops but I'm sure they have an optimus equivalent. The kind of battery life you're getting would equate to it running off the 4060.

Maybe someone with a similar laptop could chip in but that would be an RMA for me.
Lenovo have emailed me saying that it performs with the expected 2-5 hours range. It's lasted maybe 2hours 10 minutes once or twice. A following email says they can have it shipped via UPS so they can take a look at it. I've requested a replacement or refund as it's only 4days old. I'm not very happy.

Romulus

I went with a 4080. Sure its only 3080ti desktop performance but I travel alot now and I got it for $1700 brand new.

This sounds right based on my experience. Gaming laptops are not good for regular usage. My laptop has been in the 2-3 hour range since day one.

Anyone getting seven hours is bullshitting you. Browsing “designed for Netscape Navigator 2.0” websites using Microsoft Edge with no extensions and scripting off, maybe?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
This sounds right based on my experience. Gaming laptops are not good for regular usage. My laptop has been in the 2-3 hour range since day one.

Anyone getting seven hours is bullshitting you. Browsing “designed for Netscape Navigator 2.0” websites using Microsoft Edge with no extensions and scripting off, maybe?
Yeah I've been doing a bit of research since and the CPU idles around 20Wh iGPU 780m is around 14Wh idle. The 7hours browsing was on Notebookcheck website also 6 hours YouTube was another known site. I don't mind as long as I know, I was thinking I had a dodgy laptop. Thanks for the reply just makes me more reassured. 👍🏻

Edit here is a screenshot of the article. My laptop is the exact same spec as the Lenovo Legion Slim (Mines a Lenovo LOQ) but the battery in that one is 80Wh but it has the WQXGA screen where mine is 60Wh but only 1080p.

I wasn't expecting the same but at around 4 hours browsing going of that being as the screen in that uses more power.

Perhaps I would purchased a different laptop if I'd have know as I did intend it to be a allrounder with a bit of muscle for when I game on it.

Anyone know if I could return if I bought online even though I've used it. I live in the UK.

n5vqyU8.png

Last edited:

Grechy34

One thing I never considered was the wattage restriction on the laptop I purchased 2 years ago. I have an Acer Nitro RTX 3060 laptop at 95 watt. I've seen Lenovo with the same GPU but at 135 watt perform so much better. Something to keep in mind for any purchases, specs can be misleading.

One thing I never considered was the wattage restriction on the laptop I purchased 2 years ago. I have an Acer Nitro RTX 3060 laptop at 95 watt. I've seen Lenovo with the same GPU but at 135 watt perform so much better. Something to keep in mind for any purchases, specs can be misleading.
Same here. I got lucky and the Dell G15 with 3060 I bought just happened to run at full power.

Top Bottom