• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Gui_PT

Defibs, Medkits, M60, Grenade Launcher, Chainsaw, Laser Sights, and Incendiary/Explosive Ammo removed
Tier2 weapons converted to Tier1
Military Sniper -> Hunting Rifle
Awp -> Scout
AK47 -> Silenced SMG
M15, Scar -> Uzi (smg)
Autoshotgun -> Pump shotgun
SPAS shotgun -> Chrome shotgun

And the following features have been implemented as CVAR changes:
Mob spawn size locked at 25 commons (10-30 on vanilla*)
Natural horde timers locked at 100 seconds (90-180 on vanilla, keep in mind boomer hordes reset timer)
Pump/chrome shotgun ammo increased to 80 reserve
Tanks spawn on every map (where they are not explicitly blocked)
Tank spawn flow variance removed (10% difference on vanilla)
Witches always sitting
Witches spawn with 75% chance on non-intro/non-finale maps
Witch damage on incapped players increased to 75 (from 30)
With "personal space" increased to 240 (from 100)
Jockey post-incap recharge timer reduced to 15 seconds (from 30)
Jockey control variance reduced (Gives jockeys more control, less wobble)
Fallen infected do not spawn (The Passing)
CEDA commons do not drop bile bombs
Infected spawn timers set to a static 20 seconds (20-30 vanilla)
Gas cans burn in 2 seconds from spit (2.9s vanilla)
*it looks like on Xbox360 you guys get 10-18 commons for mob, 25 for mega mob... welp

Metal-Geo

Dr Stabbingworth said:
How do I find a 10v10 server?
Type "openserverbrowser" in console. Then go to the Custom tab. There's a bunch of #/20 servers. Have fun! Don't forget, it's meant to be very chaotic, messy and just downright broken. And the result is more often than not just one big hilarious ride.

ameratsu said:
the randoms playing the confogl mutation are seriously worse than the randoms playing regular versus. Some people must look at it and go "oh cool a new mutation" without realizing what they're playing. Some guy on my team yesterday said the mode sucked because it was the same as versus.

Yeah this surprised me at first, but your explanation makes sense. Those who play pub and are good probably ignore the mutations and those that play confogl don't play pub to begin with :p I was still a bit shocked at how bad people can be at this game. Still pretty fun to play, that the survivors are a lo weaker makes ineffective infected teams less annoying :) I really liked the Healthpackalypse mutation too.

Your Excellency said:
Hey, I want to play this with you guys too. How do I do this? Also, see above re microphone

I don't really know if there is a group of gaffers who play regularly, certainly not Europe side. As for voice chat, use the ingame mic. You can test it via the ingame options or via Steam - settings - voice. Please put it on push to talk.

If anyone from Europe wants to play VS/the mutation, send me an invite. I still like the game a lot, but don't really play anymore. I'm the orange OmegaDragon on Steam.

srenity

Neo Member
Ever since I formatted and upgraded my computer (from XP to 64bit Windows7), my games have been crashing a lot. It never crashed when I had XP. In fact, I had to format because it kept crashing when I played Dead Island. Eventually, it never rebooted properly until I had to format it :[

With my day off, I was planning to go through all the campaigns in order but had to give up on half of Swamp Fever because I was so sick of it. The game crashed about 8 times and blue screened twice. IT WAS SO ANNOYING...!

Does anyone by chance have a solution I can use so I can play shoot zombies crash and bluescreen free?

srenity

Neo Member
What are your computer specs? Did you upgrade components when you moved up to 7?

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 805 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
GPU = AMD HD4830

Unfortunately I'm not very computer-literate... but I just updated my graphics card. Hopefully this will fix it!

What is it with student filmmakers and zombie movies. Seriously, just once I'd like to see some amateur filmmakers make something like Black Swan, The King's Speech or The Social Network. No, pretty sure they'll be sticking to zombie films.

I swear it almost seems like the people who make these kinds of films don't even watch films.

Nessus

Previously a server-side modification that greatly alters the mechanics of Left4Dead 2 to make the game more playable in a competitive eSports setting. In other words, Confogl is Left4Dead 2's "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination".

A lot of the more random elements get shut off, and odds are heavily stacked in favor of the infected. From what I can remember off the top of my head:

• There are no health kits. Just pills and shots.
  • There are no Tier 2 or Tier 3 weapons except the magnum. All you get is the shitty shotgun, SMG, or hunting rifle.
  • No chainsaws, grenade launchers, fire bullets or explosive rounds.
  • Hazmat infected no longer drop bile, "Fallen Survivor" infected no longer drop molotovs
  • There are guaranteed hordes every 100 seconds. All hordes (even those from vomit) consist of exactly 25 zombies.
  • There is always a tank in every single map.
  • Tanks have temporary immunity to fire for 5 seconds after spawning.
  • Tanks can punch survivors off ledges that would normally trigger the "hanging from a ledge" animation.
  • There are no wandering witches, only seated ones.
  • Special infected spawn distances have been reduced.
  • Jockey pounces recharge much faster.

Why would they do this?

I thought the whole point of stupid limiting eSports rules was to make things balanced?

Grinchy

Banned
Just out of curiosity, how much do people hate complete noobs who have no idea what they are doing in this game? I've had it for so long but never really got into it. I remember getting lost in the apartment level and getting frustrated lol. I tried the mall level where you gas up the car but I did it in single player to avoid the public shaming. It was really cool. I just never went back.

Why would they do this?

I thought the whole point of stupid limiting eSports rules was to make things balanced?

I tried it with my group and it doesn't really feel more difficult, per-say. It seems like these changes were made to force players to explore less and always keep moving forward. There's less incentive to comb through an area scavenging for items because all you're going to find are pills, shots, and tier 1 weapons for the most part.

Plus, with most of the randomized elements reduced or completely turned off, waiting around and exploring actively hurts you because you can literally count the minutes between waves of infected. The flip side of that is you always have to be planning ahead - moreso than vanilla Left4Dead. You know when the next wave is going to be, you know there's going to be a tank, etc.

I'm kind of with you anyway, though. I never really got these "oh well we have to drastically change the rules of this wacky unpredictable game so it's ready for tournament play" things.

vazel

Banned
Stock settings heavily favors a team of good survivors. As infected it is impossible to wipe out a well coordinated team of survivors that have a good grasp of the gameplay mechanics. Maybe if you're lucky you'll kill one survivor. For those players confogl is meant to balance the game to make it possible for the special infected to wipe out the survivors.

Most people however are not high level players which is why L4D2 is the way it is at stock. You'll have someone that strays from the team and gets pounced by a hunter because he doesn't know how to deadstop and other careless actions that gets the entire team killed.

undrtakr900

Just out of curiosity, how much do people hate complete noobs who have no idea what they are doing in this game? I've had it for so long but never really got into it. I remember getting lost in the apartment level and getting frustrated lol. I tried the mall level where you gas up the car but I did it in single player to avoid the public shaming. It was really cool. I just never went back.
Everyone was a beginner at some point, but like you did it's always best to play single player so you get familiar/comfortable with the level/gameplay before jumping online.

But the good thing about online is you can always follow the person in front of you like a guide when you get lost. Also the best part of online is you learn the best "spots" to hold out in during a timed-survival or hoard-rush.

Anyone up for a versus round tonight to try to farm the holiday acheev?

Previously a server-side modification that greatly alters the mechanics of Left4Dead 2 to make the game more playable in a competitive eSports setting. In other words, Confogl is Left4Dead 2's "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination".

A lot of the more random elements get shut off, and odds are heavily stacked in favor of the infected. From what I can remember off the top of my head:

• There are no health kits. Just pills and shots.
  • There are no Tier 2 or Tier 3 weapons except the magnum. All you get is the shitty shotgun, SMG, or hunting rifle.
  • No chainsaws, grenade launchers, fire bullets or explosive rounds.
  • Hazmat infected no longer drop bile, "Fallen Survivor" infected no longer drop molotovs
  • There are guaranteed hordes every 100 seconds. All hordes (even those from vomit) consist of exactly 25 zombies.
  • There is always a tank in every single map.
  • Tanks have temporary immunity to fire for 5 seconds after spawning.
  • Tanks can punch survivors off ledges that would normally trigger the "hanging from a ledge" animation.
  • There are no wandering witches, only seated ones.
  • Special infected spawn distances have been reduced.
  • Jockey pounces recharge much faster.

.... that sounds absolutely horrible, and absolutely "Final Destination".

vertopci

Anyone up for a versus round tonight to try to farm the holiday acheev?

.... that sounds absolutely horrible, and absolutely "Final Destination".

Not really. The point is to have both sides fair. Having tanks spawn at different locations isn't exactly fair if you're playing L4D2 in a tournament. As like Vazel said before, at higher level play (hell even at mid level play) it's IMPOSSIBLE to kill a survivor at stock settings. Thus they remove medkits, tier 2/3 weapons, etc. Plus tanks every map makes shitty maps like parish 1 interesting.

I'm kind of with you anyway, though. I never really got these "oh well we have to drastically change the rules of this wacky unpredictable game so it's ready for tournament play" things.

It's the same with L4D2 as it is with Smash Bros Melee. The game is competitive at its heart, but the random things completely ruin it. I like to see if i can win with my skill, not due to the random crap that is thrown at you.

It's the same with L4D2 as it is with Smash Bros Melee. The game is competitive at its heart, but the random things completely ruin it. I like to see if i can win with my skill, not due to the random crap that is thrown at you.

Nothing you said actually invalidated my point in the slightest.

Smash Bros. and Left4Dead were games that defined themselves by randomized elements; turning them off is missing the point. Square peg in to a round hole and all that - bash on it enough and it'll fit, but it's not supposed to.

I can completely understand the notion that random elements can mean that a person loses because events out of their control did not happen in their favor, but there's also the argument that "real skill" (whatever that means) could also mean the ability to adapt to anything at any time.

It's not an issue I really care to get in to, though, because I can imagine it would be easy for opinions to get heated.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is there some way to disable blood splatter on the screen? It looks so stupid but I like using melee weapons.

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=8309

After months *cough*year*cough* of play testing not just the Cold Stream campaign on the PC but the entire DLC consisting of Blood Harvest, Crash Course, Cold Stream, Dead Air, and Death Toll, we are ready to release on the Xbox 360.

The date will be July 24th. There are some other surprises and details we will give you later but for now we just want to confirm an often requested feature. With the update going out at the same time (also for the PC), all of the mutations will be available at all times. This will allow players to choose to match into games playing Taannkk!, Gib Fest, or even a user created mutation like Confogl.

Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks as we get ready to launch.

Honestly, I see this as a sign that Valve is "done" with Left4Dead 2.

Did it really take almost a year to test all this or were those at Valve not very interested in Left 4 Dead 2?

Cold Stream got pretty frequent updates all the way up until January or February, give or take.

Hey You

Honestly, I see this as a sign that Valve is "done" with Left4Dead 2.

Cold Stream got pretty frequent updates all the way up until January or February, give or take.

The Franchise a whole I think is done. And still, I think a year is a little long. Heck Left 4 Dead 2 took a whole year no?

heringer

Hi PC Gaf. So, I was wondering if my PC can run Left 4 Dead 2 well enough. Here's the configuration I got from Steam info:

Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 3292 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver:  LogMeIn Mirror Driver

DirectX Driver Name:  nvumdshim.dll
    Driver Version:  7.1.542.0
    DirectX Driver Version:  8.17.12.9573
    Driver Date: 22 May 2006
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00"  (30.55" diag)
                                            67.7cm x 38.1cm  (77.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 6 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

And also, what other fairly recent PC games I'm missing out that my PC run well? It's been a long time since I used to game on PC, so I'm pretty much lost. I bought Bastion on the Summer Sale and it seems like a cool game.

Hi PC Gaf. So, I was wondering if my PC can run Left 4 Dead 2 well enough. Here's the configuration I got from Steam info:

Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 3292 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver:  LogMeIn Mirror Driver

DirectX Driver Name:  nvumdshim.dll
    Driver Version:  7.1.542.0
    DirectX Driver Version:  8.17.12.9573
    Driver Date: 22 May 2006
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00"  (30.55" diag)
                                            67.7cm x 38.1cm  (77.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 6 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

And also, what other fairly recent PC games I'm missing out that my PC run well? It's been a long time since I used to game on PC, so I'm pretty much lost. I bought Bastion on the Summer Sale and it seems like a cool game.

Hm. That mobile graphics card could give you a little bit of trouble but Source games typically scale super super well. I used to run Left4Dead 2 on a single-core 3ghz with a GeForce 6600, which if you aren't in the know, is pretty outdated hardware. I had to turn everything down to as low as it would go, but I got a solid 40fps.

It looks to me like those specs are considerably better than my old specs, so you'll probably be just fine.

ShogunX

Pretty sure the new (old) DLC is out today for the 360 which includes Cold Stream (plus an update for the PC version) and a few of the campaigns from the first game. Had a search on the marketplace and there doesn't seem to be anything so hopefully we get something later.

Hey You

If the DLC doesn't make it out by the end of the week next week, I'm just going to say fuck it and not get it.

Valve, if you're not going to support ALL of your fanbase then don't even try. It took you a year to make a WHOLE Game, yet it takes you a year to make DLC.

If the DLC doesn't make it out by the end of the week next week, I'm just going to say fuck it and not get it.

Valve, if you're not going to support ALL of your fanbase then don't even try. It took you a year to make a WHOLE Game, yet it takes you a year to make DLC.

If you'd played these on PC you'd know why it's taken so long

It took Valve weeks, sometimes months, to fix problems in their L4D1 map ports. They always launched with weird bugs and missing features.

They weren't straight ports, either. It is not as simple as "cut and paste". The A.I. director is more advanced in L4D2 and the new Special Infected have to be tested and balanced so they aren't too powerful in older maps. It is not as though these campaigns have been released and finished on PC for months now. Updates haven't been as frequent lately, sure, but that's just a sign that they were closer to finished.

The delay here is probably something to do with Microsoft's silly cert process. Relax.

Hey You

If you'd played these on PC you'd know why it's taken so long

It took Valve weeks, sometimes months, to fix problems in their L4D1 map ports. They always launched with weird bugs and missing features.

They weren't straight ports, either. It is not as simple as "cut and paste". The A.I. director is more advanced in L4D2 and the new Special Infected have to be tested and balanced so they aren't too powerful in older maps. It is not as though these campaigns have been released and finished on PC for months now. Updates haven't been as frequent lately, sure, but that's just a sign that they were closer to finished.

The delay here is probably something to do with Microsoft's silly cert process. Relax.

As stated in another thread, MS said they didn't even have any content to distribute. MS didn't even have the DLC yesterday.

MrDaravon

So on 360 are there known server issues? I just hopped for the first in forever, and I'm in full lobbies that are constantly unable to start games, it tries to load the maps and then kicks you back stating that it lost the connection to the server. I took a quick look around on some other boards and supposedly Valve was saying that they were bringing more servers online yesterday?

I remember back when used to play at lot that choosing the "dedicated servers" option was always shit, and we always had to chose Local Host, is that still the case or what?

XenoRaven

After playing on the 360 version, stopping, moving to PC, then coming back to play on 360 again with some friends, I feel comfortable saying that the multiplayer in Left 4 Dead 2 for Xbox 360 is basically the worst thing to ever happen to video games.

Shokio

Neo Member
After playing on the 360 version, stopping, moving to PC, then coming back to play on 360 again with some friends, I feel comfortable saying that the multiplayer in Left 4 Dead 2 for Xbox 360 is basically the worst thing to ever happen to video games.

After playing L4D2 on the PC for almost 700 hours, I CANNOT go back and play it on 360, it's impossible.

It's simply not the same game. I'd go as far as to say the game might as well be considered a PC exclusive.

Got this in the Steam sale and have had a ton of fun with it but I want to have some people to play with other than randoms and maybe go for high difficulties and achievements like Gnome Chompski. If anyone's interested in adding me my ID is electroshockwave.

I've been messing around with Steam Workshop a lot lately. It is absolutely fantastic. I had grown really tired of the game a while ago but this breathed new life into it. Some of the mods are so much fun. Kind of surprised there isn't more talk about it.

Top Bottom