• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Le Mans 24r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Race timing/Info available from:
http://www.lemans.org/univers_sport/24hauto/live/index.html

Go Audi Sport UK Veloqx Go! :D

088_car_01.jpg

Can anyone tell me what happened to Alan McNish's Car?

He was running 2nd before TV coverage was chopped here (Euro 2004) and now I notice he's 20 laps down :/

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Found out what happened to McNish, Seems 1hr 52mins into the race he had an offroad excusion and hit the wall :/

I wish I had live coverage of the race, yes, all 24 hrs of it :(
Guess I'll have to settle for live timing & website updates.

Freeburn.

Shinobi

Speed Channel's showing most of the race...God bless 'em.

McNish hit some oil and skidded off into the tires, then got rear ended by a Champion Audi that hit the oil. Then one of the GTS Ferrari's hit the oil and did a spin, but he didn't hit anything. McNish is in a Le Mans hospital now with a possible concussion...alas he won't be able to drive again. Damn shame since I liked him a lot from his prior Le Mans drives, not to mention his brief stay in F1.

Canadian Ron Fellows (my boy) also went into some tires when he lost concentration for a second and missed a braking spot. He managed to get it back into the pits to get some repairs done, which I think took half an hour. That really ticks me off, cause the two Corvettes and the two Prodrive Ferraris were all set to be the best battle of the race by far, featuring Fellows in the #63 Vette and possibly my favourite athlete on earth in Colin McRae in the #65 Ferrari (who span out and burnt the clutch out on the restart, costing them a lot of time in the pits). Blah...nothing's going my way so far.

There's also been a lot of punctures so far...a lot of gravel and debris has been getting onto the road, and the road has a reputation for being pretty abrasive, so some rear tires are just getting chewed to shreds.

Anywya, this is the coolest part of the entire race...dusk. Going from the setting sun into night while these beasts are motoring around is one of the coolest sights on earth.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the update/info Shinobi, you rock! :p

Was wondering what had happened to McRae, Yet again he's showing his driving/racing talent goes well beyond Rally.

I need to get Speed Channel damn it!

Freeburn.

Sirolf

I live in Le Mans and i will go to the race tonight...I wiill try to take some pictures if my damned camera works again :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Pah!

He'll have to get by our Johnny first. :D

That said, Teah Goh have been pushing Veloqx hard for the last 2 hours or so.

Go Johnny GO

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
6hr mark reached, 1/4 way through :)

Johnny's still leading with Team Goh's Seiji Ara pushing hard just behind.

Looking forward to those pics sirolf :)

Freeburn.

Shinobi

Heh, bought that for cheap a few weeks ago...one of two dozen DVD's still in it's shrink wrap. Saw it on Speed Channel a few years ago and enjoyed it. Grand Prix owns it silly though...no movie has done a better job getting the viewer on the track and into the cars at speed.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Grand Prix owns.

Where do you think my love for Papyrus's "Grand Prix Legends" comes from, let alone my new avatar? :D (Temporarily replaced due to Euro 2004 :p)

jclark.jpg

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, just saw the McNish incident.

How the hell did he manage to get that car back to the pits? Hell, how the hell did they manage to get it out again? awesome! :)

Freeburn.

Mustang

Banned
Does anyone know if Grand Prix will be coming to DVD?

Just an awesome movie.

The racing scenes were outstanding.

Classic Frankenheimer stuff. :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
No word, I'm waiting on the day I can replace my VHS tape of it with a DVD.

There *is* the excellent "Making Of..." documentary available on DVD though (80 mins running time)

Update on the race as we get close to the 1/2 way stage:

With ten hours completed it was still the #88 and #5 Audis fighting for the lead. A contact between Davies in the #88 car and Magnussen in the leading GTS #64 Corvette resulted in the Corvette having to make extensive repairs before it returned to track three laps behind the new class leader the #66 Prodrive Ferrari.

The #2 Champion Audi had reached fifth and was steadily closing on the #18 Pescarolo and #6 Dallara ahead. Brabham in the Zytek posted some very quick laps as be brought this car back up to 8 th .

The #90 Porsche continued to lead GT from the #85 Porsche

Class positions at 02.00 hrs

LMP1

#88 Audi

#5 Audi

#18 Pescarolo

LMP2

#32 Lola

#31 Courage

#35 Courage

GTS

#66 Ferrari

#64 Corvette

#65 Ferrari

GT

#90 Porsche

#85 Porsche

#83 Porsche

The #88 Audi of Veloqx & the #5 Audi of Team Goh have been on the same lap (lead) for at least 9 hrs now, how awesome is THAT for a close race, it would be nice if they still are when I wake in the morning.

Tomorrows going to make the missus hate me, she has NO chance of seeing any TV :)

Le Mans, Formula 1 & Euro 2004 all in one day, HOG HEAVEN! :D

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I knew they'd swap positions whilst I slept, bah :p

Amazing to see Kaffa/Biela have pushed back up to 5th. (Glad to hear McNish wasn' hurt too.)

Push Johnny PUSH! :D

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Surely they won't?

I mean, I can partly understand why they'd want Seiji to take the line, but Tom is more the man for the job.

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
They did :/

That said, he seems to have responded to Johnny's pushing.

Will be an interesting finish :)

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
28 second gap and closing, but not enough time left to catch or pass, Johnnys only hope now is that Seiji makes a mistake.

Goooooo! :D

Freeburn

Shinobi

Freeburn said:
Ok, just saw the McNish incident.

How the hell did he manage to get that car back to the pits? Hell, how the hell did they manage to get it out again? awesome! :)

Freeburn.

Audi R8 = speed tank from God

Mustang said:
Does anyone know if Grand Prix will be coming to DVD?

Just an awesome movie.

The racing scenes were outstanding.

Classic Frankenheimer stuff. :)

I wish they could've made one while he was alive, so he could've provided a commentary track. If nothing else they could add the featurettes he did on Speed Channel when they showed the movie.

And congrats to Tommy...6 wins in 8 years (and 5 in a row) is simply insane. We're seeing some legendary performances in auto racing right now, with Michael Schumacher making new records in F1, and Valentino Rossi in Moto GP doing his thing on an inferior bike.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
A deserved win for Team Goh, Well done to Seiji Ara, and a great challenge & race by Team Veloqx.

What a stunning race, even by Le Mans standards :D

It will be hard for Montreal to pump me up as much, and this coming from an F1 apologist :p

Freeburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom