• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: You're Drinking Menstrual Blood In Bloodborne (Theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

It's sad that menstruation is used as shock value. It's a perfectly natural part of life, and i wish people were more upfront and comfortable with it. People can make easy off hand "oh he had a wet dream haha", but then when it involves menstruation blood they don't want to hear about it.
I'm not uncomfortable with it at all. I think it's beautiful imagery as used in Bloodborne. And yes, I do believe it's menstrual blood. It's right in line with the motif of fertility, newborns, stillborns, etc., running throughout the game.

McDougles

That is duly noted at the very beginning of the piece:

GWXLXmd.jpg

People clicking on the thread in GAF can't know that, though.

Apathy

It's sad that menstruation is used as shock value. It's a perfectly natural part of life, and i wish people were more upfront and comfortable with it. People can make easy off hand "oh he had a wet dream haha", but then when it involves menstruation blood they don't want to hear about it.

Not really used to shock in the game, in fact is heavily implied. If anything, it's kotaku trying to make it a shock value thing that needs to be told. I don't see why grown men are freaked out by it.

Jobbs

Banned

I'm uncomfortable with the unknown. I've never experienced this and as a child the first time I learned about this process I was pretty freaked out. That's part of it. Beyond that, though, from what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) this process isn't all that comfortable for the person experiencing it, either. It's perfectly natural, but it's also natural to understand why it's a bit of a tricky topic..

Damerman

Not really used to shock in the game, in fact is heavily implied. If anything, it's kotaku trying to make it a shock value thing that needs to be told. I don't see why grown men are framed out by it.

sorry, should of made it clear that i was blaming Kotaku.

DC1

yeah basically why would any of it be out of the norm for the game?

oh its vagina blood now THAT makes it horrible!
Somehow when you address it as "V-jayjay", it makes it ok.

Matter of fact, I could do for a cup right now!

I hate Kotaku as much as the next person but the reactions to a pretty benign theme across art throughout hundreds of years in this thread do show nothing more how truly immature "gamers" are sometimes. Bravo.

aly

It's not used as shock value in the game though if you consider this theory to be true. Sure it's natural but it is also gross and uncomfortable to feel so I can see why its uncomfortable to talk about.

I've never seen my character drink anything in Bloodborne, but I guess Kotaku needs clicks, and "injecting menstrual blood" doesn't sound as clicky.

Your character doesn't drink it, but the Pungent Blood Cocktail description basically says that blood is used in place of alcoholic beverages in Yharnam because the inhabitants find it more intoxicating. So there's that.

DeanBDean

I hate Kotaku as much as the next person but the reactions to a pretty benign theme across art throughout hundreds of years in this thread do show nothing more how truly immature "gamers" are sometimes. Bravo.

Yeah, pretty sure most people are trying to be funny about an easy topic of humor for hundreds of years.

Neiteio

Your character doesn't drink it, but the Pungent Blood Cocktail description basically says that blood is used in place of alcoholic beverages in Yharnam because the inhabitants find it more intoxicating. So there's that.
Now we know why the Pungent Blood Cocktail is "pungent"

5311.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom