• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: You're Drinking Menstrual Blood In Bloodborne (Theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/27/wild-theory-blood-bloodborne-actually-comes

Have you ever wondered where the blood that everyone in Bloodborne drinks actually comes from? Someone has a theory, and it’s kind of gross. It also makes a lot of sense.

• Special blood vials in the game all come from women, such as Arianna, Iosefka, and Sister Adella. We also know that the Healing Church chooses specific women to be “vessels for blood” and are “groomed as Blood Saints.” We also know that the person who introduced the entire concept of drinking blood to Yharnam is a lady—the Queen of the Pthumerians.
  • One of these women, Arianna, does not give you any more blood when she becomes pregnant. Furthermore, it’s worth considering that the old lady that you can bring to the church does not give you blood. Menopause?
  • The game loves to use concepts relating to the moon and cycles.
  • One of Bloodborne’s important locations is called “The Nightmare of Mensis.” There is also a boss called “Brain of Mensis” (which you have to defeat in order to get an item called ‘Blood Rock.’) There is also an item called “Mensis Cage,” which is used as an antenna that facilitates contact with the Great Ones. Mensis is very similar to the word “menses,” which is Latin for, well, menstruation. The word also has close ties with the concept of the moon.

0722_xyuk2.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All the mensis stuff made it seem like it was heading in that direction to me as well, especially with the whole birth/moon cycle angle of late game stuff.

More nutrients that way anyway.

Jobbs

Banned
I've never seen my character drink anything in Bloodborne, but I guess Kotaku needs clicks, and "injecting menstrual blood" doesn't sound as clicky.

Well, that's my masturbation material for the night.

Okay, let's do it.

ScentedClumsyGoral.gif

Don't the hunters administer the blood via a syringe to the leg?

It's not like an estus flask where they're downing a whole flask of it. At least, I don't recall ever seeing that animation.

Let's spin the wheel of stupid to see who the author is of this particular clickbait.

Patricia Hernandez?

Surprised it's not who I expected.

Neiteio

I think it was Guillermo del Toro who once said that all fairy tales are about one of two things: Crawling out of a vagina to slay the dragon, or crawling back into a vagina to return to heaven.

...I don't know why that felt appropriate here, but Bloodborne feels like a dark fairytale and is apparently dripping with menstrual blood. Slay the dragon it is!

Damerman

It's sad that menstruation is used as shock value. It's a perfectly natural part of life, and i wish people were more upfront and comfortable with it. People can make easy off hand "oh he had a wet dream haha", but then when it involves menstruation blood they don't want to hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom