• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami acknowledges eFootball's "incompletion" (blames new engine, f2p model and rushing it out)

cormack12

Gold Member
Think this is bullshit personally. They managed to get out a new revision on a new architecture and new engine previously that was 100 times better.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/konami-ac...d-says-its-taking-fan-feedback-very-seriously

Konami has recognised that "multiple factors" contributed to eFootball's disasterous launch last year, but says it has "prioritised improvements and corrections based on the feedback and opinions we received".

efootballs-patch-notes-are-a-thing-of-horrifying-beauty-1636123621985.jpg

“It’s hard to point to one deciding aspect," a spokesperson said. "The incompletion of the game came as a result of multiple factors including the transition to a new football game engine, the support of next generation consoles such as PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, the change of play style to free to play and furthermore, we tried to deliver new eFootball 2022 for players as soon as possible.

“Resultantly, the game received harsh feedback about the quality. Since eFootball’s launch back in September, however, we have prioritised improvements and corrections based on the feedback and opinions we received.

Asked why the developer chose not to push back the release until the game was ready, Konami said it "didn’t have any plans to postpone the release because we ultimately had a strong desire to deliver the new eFootball 2022 game to users as soon as possible" and was keen to release in "parallel with the start of the European football season".

Konami insisted the game would evolve over time, but players have been left waiting months for this v1.0.0 update to arrive. In the meantime, eFootball's mobile spin-off was postponed, and the game's controversial premium player pack was pulled from sale.

RCU005

didn’t have any plans to postpone the release because we ultimately had a strong desire to deliver the new eFootball 2022 game to users as soon as possible

I don't get this mindset. This happened to Cyberpunk 2077 too. This is crearly a comment not aimed to consumers, but to investors. There is no way they didn't know how shitty the game was, there is no way they didn't make a conscious decision to launch it in that state.

The worst part is that thy know it was going to fail. Why risk a long term success?

The turnaround that Final Fantasy XIV made is not something anyone can do, and it's very complicated to pull off. Why do publishers insist that they can launch a shitty product and do turnarounds?

Malcolm9

I mean they could have just released PES 2022 with updated graphics, animations, more detailed edit mode etc and fans would have been pretty happy.

Instead they scrapped it all and released a steaming turd with eFootball 2022.

supernova8

Banned
Think this is bullshit personally. They managed to get out a new revision on a new architecture and new engine previously that was 100 times better.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/konami-ac...d-says-its-taking-fan-feedback-very-seriously

Konami has recognised that "multiple factors" contributed to eFootball's disasterous launch last year, but says it has "prioritised improvements and corrections based on the feedback and opinions we received".

“It’s hard to point to one deciding aspect," a spokesperson said. "The incompletion of the game came as a result of multiple factors including the transition to a new football game engine, the support of next generation consoles such as PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, the change of play style to free to play and furthermore, we tried to deliver new eFootball 2022 for players as soon as possible.

“Resultantly, the game received harsh feedback about the quality. Since eFootball’s launch back in September, however, we have prioritised improvements and corrections based on the feedback and opinions we received.

Asked why the developer chose not to push back the release until the game was ready, Konami said it "didn’t have any plans to postpone the release because we ultimately had a strong desire to deliver the new eFootball 2022 game to users as soon as possible" and was keen to release in "parallel with the start of the European football season".

Konami insisted the game would evolve over time, but players have been left waiting months for this v1.0.0 update to arrive. In the meantime, eFootball's mobile spin-off was postponed, and the game's controversial premium player pack was pulled from sale.
Wasn't harsh at all. Was absolutely deserving.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair to Konami or any other sports game maker, they probably got contracts set up where it says they got to release the game within a certain time frame. Maybe not, but I get the feeling sports games do. Just as Konami said to coincide with the start or the season.

That doesn't give them a pass though. If the game sucks, that's on them.

But for games with no binding contract where the game has to release at a certain time like perhaps pro leagues or a movie license game, that's on them to figure out when is a right time to release it..... do it early for fast bucks, or delay it for quality. It's not like any of the big gaming companies are going to go broke delaying an in-house IP game a year out.

RyRy93

What they had worked great but they decided to move to a new engine, the Fox Engine wasn't exactly something that was massively outdated was it?

Last edited:

recykle

Neo Member
PES is such a shitshow now that their best course of action would be for the first ever Sports remake to steady the ship. Remake either PES 4 or PES 6 and just update the rosters and some graphics and develop from there, because what ever this is that they are trying now is an abomination.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What they had worked great but they decided to move to a new engine, the Fox Engine wasn't exactly something that was massively outdated was it?
The Fox engine was fantastic. I suspect they ditched it because it isn’t scalable to mobile.

I don't get this mindset. This happened to Cyberpunk 2077 too. This is crearly a comment not aimed to consumers, but investors. There is no way they didn't know how shitty the game was, there is no way they didn't make a conscious decision to launch it in that state.

The worst part is that thy know it was going to fail. Why risk a long term success?

The turnaround that Final Fantasy XIV made is not something anyone can do, and it's very complicated to pull off. Why do publishers insist that they can launch a shitty product and do turnarounds?
I guess is something related to the "we gotta release something in this quarter/fiscal year or whatever". Because this kind of practice just doesn't make sense at face value.

Honestly, as a a big big fan and full manual player, I'm glad they ditched Fox Engine. It had great features and looked decent, but the collision system and animation work was very dated. Players had rigid paths, and only 8 paths on the movement button.

Don't get me wrong, PES21 on the full manual controls is simply the greatest (most realistic) football game ever. Come 1.00 though, which from impressions is Efootball's greatest + the solid base of PES21 with better graphics and animations, I think this game has a lot of potential for the next year

Banjo64

cumsessed
So it’s been patched to version 1.0 and their new (same but new name) version of MyClub has launched (still missing key features until next week).

You know what, it’s actually not too bad. 2021 was better, but I’d still take this over FIFA.

You can now buy standard players using GP rather than bidding on scouts. Scouts never used to bother me but it did delay things.

Davevil

On pc , also with 1.0.0 update, i can't play a match online ...maybe i was banned or no one has it
So sad that such a glorius franchise is dead

Banjo64

cumsessed
On pc , also with 1.0.0 update, i can't play a match online ...maybe i was banned or no one has it
So sad that such a glorius franchise is dead
I was matching with full strength connections to people all night last night in the UK (10pm to 2am). People are definitely playing but for 15 minutes I had issues connecting to the server.

Davevil

I was matching with full strength connections to people all night last night in the UK (10pm to 2am). People are definitely playing but for 15 minutes I had issues connecting to the server.
so i'm just banned (i see i have C valutation on my profile)
what a joke

Roni

Gold Member

Listen to your QA leads, it's that fucking simple.

Kokoloko85

How shit do you have to be at your job to make Pes Fail so much.
When football fans are dumb enough to buy Fifa yearly it shouldnt be that hard to make something semi decent to compete with them.
Especially when you use to make the best football games a couple of generations ago

Roufianos

Plays pretty decently now but there's fuck all in terms of game modes. 2 and a half years and this is all they have to show for it.

Top Bottom