• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Know any positive things in gaming?

sigmaZ

The biggests and bestest ones ever 100ed % it after many hundreds hours buuuuuut I still go backs sometimes to skydiving froms skies to derpths and go shield rocket surfing make ways to hunts lynels an gleelocks and build crud

3max.jpg

puuuuure happy relaxations my friends

5cV.gif
h2mVXGt.png

Hudo

the feeling when you've battled your way to a point in an RTS match where your enemy can't possibly pose any threat to you anymore but you leave him alive regardless because you start to fuck around and build up your base in a pretty way and whatnot. Always loved these moments. (Mostly in skirmish against the computer or in campaigns because real-life players will just quit the game at that point; humans are no fun.)

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Yea okay…Doom (hell) and Fallout (apocalypse). Please explain how Bethesda games are lighthearted, wholesome, or happy in any way shape or form? If we are talking, like you mentioned, using mods to get those feels, why not suggest a game that actually meets that criteria?? What a strange response. I would love to hear some deeper explanation other than a confusing one liner. I’m all ears.
Strange reply, it's a positive thing in gaming for me, why is it a negative for you, its what i like most, playing their modded games, it doesn't meet the criteria according to you, why?, Its not confusing just because you don't agree

Naked Lunch

I would say all the happenings in the retro scene - by just regular folk who grew up with the hobby - started their own small business and now developing stuff for 30 year old consoles.

Everything from forever memory cards like the PS1's and GC's Memcard Pros, flashcarts, odes for cd consoles, wireless controllers, upscalers, adapters making things like the Turbografx 16 playable on modern sets, console shells.

Then on the game side - all the translations, improvement hacks, and patches releasing on a near daily basis at this point.

Its really wild and interesting - and unreal this stuff even exists let alone thriving.
When modern gaming lulls or lets me down - I can always go back to the proven classics.

I like this thread and feel the premise.

Am drawn to and would recommend stuff like Slime Rancher, Costume Quest, Terra Nil, Animal Crossing.

And, yeah, lots of old school games, from Monkey Island to the Mario Bros games.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Strange reply, it's a positive thing in gaming for me, why is it a negative for you, its what i like most, playing their modded games, it doesn't meet the criteria according to you, why?, Its not confusing just because you don't agree
I didn’t say it was negative. I said wholesome, lighthearted, or happy. It can not be those three things and still be a positive experience as a game/games for you. Hell and the apocalypse aren’t happy, wholesome, or lighthearted in any way shape or form. I guess we are just at odds with the way we answer the OPs question differently. Not trying to take your positive experience away from you, I was just looking at wholesome, lighthearted, and happy in the context of the game setting and feeling itself. If those games make you feel happy, wholesome, or lighthearted then that’s awesome!

Laptop1991

I didn’t say it was negative. I said wholesome, lighthearted, or happy. It can not be those three things and still be a positive experience as a game/games for you. Hell and the apocalypse aren’t happy, wholesome, or lighthearted in any way shape or form. I guess we are just at odds with the way we answer the OPs question differently. Not trying to take your positive experience away from you, I was just looking at wholesome, lighthearted, and happy in the context of the game setting and feeling itself. If those games make you feel happy, wholesome, or lighthearted then that’s awesome!
Fair enough, it's what i enjoy most out of gaming, it's what i'm looking forward to with Starfield as well, it's just my choice and opinion, infact this vid explains why i chose it as my most positive thing in gaming, not games, your making a different distinction. but you certainly don't have to agree, everyone's opinion is valid.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Fair enough, it's what i enjoy most out of gaming, it's what i'm looking forward to with Starfield as well, it's just my choice and opinion, infact this vid explains why i chose it as my most positive thing in gaming, not games, your making a different distinction. but you certainly don't have to agree, everyone's opinion is valid.

Absolutely! Opinions are what make us unique, that’s why I figured I would dig in a little and asked you what you meant, now I know. Btw, I am actually a fan of post apocalyptic type games as well, just personally not my go to when I’m looking for a happier mood type session. I think I play more colorful RPGs for that, like Dragon Quest or the Tales games.

Laptop1991

Absolutely! Opinions are what make us unique, that’s why I figured I would dig in a little and asked you what you meant, now I know. Btw, I am actually a fan of post apocalyptic type games as well, just personally not my go to when I’m looking for a happier mood type session. I think I play more colorful RPGs for that, like Dragon Quest or the Tales games.
I like the nuclear wasteland lol, what fun, doesn't mean i live like that in real life though lol, or want to either. yeah we all like different things, it's how it should be

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
RDR2. Sure there's violence but there's other things too. I always smile when I see the little Blue Jay watching John, Charles and Uncle building John's house.

GTA5 has golf, tennis, darts, strppers and hookers.

0:24

Here it is represented badly, the nail should not be in that place :messenger_neutral:

0:45

Shadow dynamics do not match character action.:messenger_expressionless:

1:06

They should have put the diameter of the surface of the land with cement, before placing the wood. :messenger_neutral:

mad-doh-bart-simpson-eyvz9jaku0gd229w.gif

---------
3:35

👇

result

collapsing-house-david-sams.jpg

3:39 to 3:45

a-few-moments-later-text-yellow-hemp-pattern-vector.jpg

house-collapse.gif

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've never laughed out loud more than playing Fortnite with friends.

Celeste has a positive message in its story.

Dis

Most major games are either dark, depressing, or deal with at least multiple dark themes in general like nuclear apocalypse and war for example. Or at least, that seems to be the case with my current library.
I'd really like to play something, however, from what ive found after browing through my 900 game steam library are either "boring" and serious management simulators or games filled with depression and murder where the main characters go on rampages while being portrayed as the good guys.

Could you recommend some happy, lighthearted, or wholesome games that people here play when they want to relax? Or just share some funny/happy clips or moments from your favourite games that brought you joy.

(Considering how prevalent violence is in this medium, it is allowed as long as the games have a predominantly positive tone)

YES! What you’re looking for is the Uncharted series! These are lighthearted, fun and just good times!

Top Bottom