• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Know any positive things in gaming?

T4keD0wN

Most major games are either dark, depressing, or deal with at least multiple dark themes in general like nuclear apocalypse and war for example. Or at least, that seems to be the case with my current library.
I'd really like to play something, however, from what ive found after browing through my 900 game steam library are either "boring" and serious management simulators or games filled with depression and murder where the main characters go on rampages while being portrayed as the good guys.

Could you recommend some happy, lighthearted, or wholesome games that people here play when they want to relax? Or just share some funny/happy clips or moments from your favourite games that brought you joy.

(Considering how prevalent violence is in this medium, it is allowed as long as the games have a predominantly positive tone)

Edit: 5th and 6th gen were my favorites because they were more chipper. I just thought jak going grimdark was dumb at the time, but it turns out it was a sign of things to come

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Harvest Moon and the likes of it.

Spyro is one of my favorite series of all time and Reignited Trilogy is absolutely fantastic.

That recent Star Trek adventure game is also pretty good, and there was a pretty fun Star Trek Prodigy game that came out before it if you're looking for something more action-oriented.

Destroy All Humans 1&2 remakes are also really fun. The subject matter is of course about alien invasion of Earth, but it's kept in a very light hearted, comedic tone. Like a parody of the genre.

Many people make fun of it for various reasons (mostly related to smoothbrained console tribalism), but Stray is a genuinely charming game that I thoroughly enjoyed, and it's wholesome as fuck.

I know you've indicated that management games aren't your thing but maybe a more casual park builder game like Jurassic World Evolution would interest you. It's genuinely fun and accessible for a casual player, so it won't bog you down in the boring stuff. It's mostly focused on easy-to-use construction tools and fun minigames. And of course, there's something really magical about growing and naming your own dinosaurs, watching them mature and live out their lives, all while Jeff Goldblum narrates your every major decision. I used to spend hours coming up with various scenarios, where for example I would pit a Dilophosaurus against a group of raptors, and cheering him on as he proceeded to kick their asses despite being outnumbered and outgunned. I felt genuinely bummed out when he grew old and died, lol.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Buy a Switch and play Nintendo games.

video games news GIF by NowThis

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some light hearted fair suggestions, at great prices.

Just picked up the Klonoa bundle today. I used to have the original on PlayStation way back.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is what my boss does and it's infuriating.
I complain about some real issue and it's been a hard day or issue on shopfloor and I explain to him what happened.
Then he says "enough complaining, now say something positive".
WELL F YOU BITCH I AINT IN A MOOD TO THINK OF ANYTHING POSITIVE.

On the topic, the most wholesome game I can think of right now is The Blob. Like... how adorable can a game be. You have a HUG BUTTON

TxKnight7

Most major games are either dark, depressing, or deal with at least multiple dark themes in general like nuclear apocalypse and war for example. Or at least, that seems to be the case with my current library.
I'd really like to play something, however, from what ive found after browing through my 900 game steam library are either "boring" and serious management simulators or games filled with depression and murder where the main characters go on rampages while being portrayed as the good guys.

Could you recommend some happy, lighthearted, or wholesome games that people here play when they want to relax? Or just share some funny/happy clips or moments from your favourite games that brought you joy.

(Considering how prevalent violence is in this medium, it is allowed as long as the games have a predominantly positive tone)

Hi Fi Rush.

I had fun with the following(I might add more if I can think of more):

Cook Serve Delicious
NBA Street
Mario Strikers
Mario Tennis
Overcooked
Animal Crossing
Island Saver
Crazy Taxi
Jet Set Radio
JSRF
SSX series
Minecraft
Tony Hawk series
Shatter
Astro's Playroom

You do make a point though. These types of games based on not having combat being the primary intent, have been pushed out of the spotlight and have been stuck with indie budgets in the past decade or so.

the_master

Katamari games are the most cheerful to me out there.

Few other games
- Tony Hawks pro skater (new remaster)
- Astrobot (vr or ps5)
- Mirror’s Edge (in a way)
- Jet set radio (and upcoming bomb rush cyberfunk)
- Crazy Taxi
- Space Chanel 5
- Dance Dance Revolution
- Mario games

I am having some trouble finding cheerful new games I played

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I know you've indicated that management games aren't your thing but maybe a more casual park builder game like Jurassic World Evolution would interest you. It's genuinely fun and accessible for a casual player, so it won't bog you down in the boring stuff. It's mostly focused on easy-to-use construction tools and fun minigames. And of course, there's something really magical about growing and naming your own dinosaurs, watching them mature and live out their lives, all while Jeff Goldblum narrates your every major decision. I used to spend hours coming up with various scenarios, where for example I would pit a Dilophosaurus against a group of raptors, and cheering him on as he proceeded to kick their asses despite being outnumbered and outgunned. I felt genuinely bummed out when he grew old and died, lol.
They are actually something i am very into, its just that i always pretty much end up playing them "as intended" trying to optimize everything which ends up making me feel very neutral because it reminds me of ERP systems. Havent really thought of it this way, youre right, i need to change my approach. Unleashing chaos in one of my dinosaur parks sounds fun.
Have you heard of Super Mario?
I have only ever played odyssey and to be honest it made me feel like i was on a desperate chase more than anything when playing it for some reason. Overall a great game and great pick, which other entry would you recommend?
No murderous rampages? Not even a little one that nobody would even notice?
Only if the dead bodies are smiling.
Ok, i think ive found my perfect game

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Just last night I was playing Team Fortress 2 cause I've been riding that wave again since the latest update, and I was checking out the Saxton Hale mode. A kid (probably 11 or 12?) was playing as Saxton Hale for the first time and didn't know the controls. So the entire game cooperated and stopped attacking just so one dude could show this kid the basics. And ended it with, "Go get 'em tiger."

It felt wholesome AF to me, lol.

93xfan

Banned
OP, I’d have to say the best series of all time, Super Mario Bros.

Specifically Super Mario Bros 3, World, 2, Maker 2, 64 and Sunshine.

Have a blast!

simpatico

HROT is a wonderfully unique game. It takes absolutely perfect Quake controls and put them in Communist era Czechoslovakia. Each level provides several laughs and the entire time you won't know what is around the corner. The game only uses one color, brown, and the amount of awesomeness it's able to do with that pallet is really incredible. You'll be grinning the entire session. Whether it's cruising around on a motorcycle, playing with toy trains, a fully functional piano or being ambushed by a gas mask clad horse. One of the early bosses is a spider hybrid of communist leader Klement Gottwald. Also, it's not some Unity engine game made to look oldschool, it runs on an obscure early 90s version of Pascal, which really makes it look and feel incredible. This aspect of it doesn't get enough appreciation. The whole thing was made by a single guy. Each of the three acts provides you with a recipe at the end. The strogonoff is really good. I'd recommend cooking it the night you finish.

Sure it's brown and murdery, but it's a game you play with a grin during the entire session. Truly unique.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I play souls games to relax. I don't think I'm the best person to take recommendations from. However, sometimes if I wanna turn my brain off and just...I dunno...exist in another world I'll play Star Citizen.

I'm pretty lucky to have friends who know how to make their own fun in games. Folks who play games like Ark, Minecraft and other survival kind of games. When I play Star Citizen solo, it's all business. I'm grinding to buy that next ship, I'm working on improving my reputation. When those guys hop on we just go out and do random stuff and it's alot of fun.

Star Citizen has held up pretty well since the 3.18 patch disaster ended. If you're a PC gamer with a decent rig, I'd recommend it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

diffusionx

Gold Member
Spyro for sure
DJ Hero (and other rhythm games, I suppose)
SimCity
Earthbound
Picross
Mario & Luigi

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The biggests and bestest ones ever 100ed % it after many hundreds hours buuuuuut I still go backs sometimes to skydiving froms skies to derpths and go shield rocket surfing make ways to hunts lynels an gleelocks and build crud

3max.jpg

puuuuure happy relaxations my friends

5cV.gif

Roberts

For someone who’s sense of humour and the general outlook on life during my teenage years was shaped by weird, deadpan, subversive satirical comedies i keep on looking for games that can make me laugh. One of the reasons I pretty much only game on xbox these days is because they are the best at finding talent that can do that. Pentiment (and Obsidian in general) is freaking hilarious when it wants to be. Wasteland 3 is masterful satire, Hi-Fi Rush has so many subtle gags, etc. One of the reasons Sea of Thieves is so great is not because it is funny by itself but because through your own actions you can make it a gut busting adventure.

Last edited:

Johnny2Bad

RDR2. Sure there's violence but there's other things too. I always smile when I see the little Blue Jay watching John, Charles and Uncle building John's house.

GTA5 has golf, tennis, darts, strppers and hookers.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Bethesda SP games and Mods.
Yea okay…Doom (hell) and Fallout (apocalypse). Please explain how Bethesda games are lighthearted, wholesome, or happy in any way shape or form? If we are talking, like you mentioned, using mods to get those feels, why not suggest a game that actually meets that criteria?? What a strange response. I would love to hear some deeper explanation other than a confusing one liner. I’m all ears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom