• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klonoa - PS1 Original vs. Wii Remake | Side by Side

what year is it GIF

Animagic

Banned

Side by side coparison between Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Playstation, 1998) and Klonoa (Wii, 2008). Both versions were emulated in high definition.

I prefer the original and prefer the Tomba! games over Klonoa. I do miss Namco.
Bandai really destroyed their soul.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I remember playing over and over again the demo on playstation but i never managed to get the game back then.The game really stuck on my mind though. Many years later i bought the Wii version and i thought it was an excellent remake. Never finished it though because it get prtty hard after a point and i also suck at 2D (or 2.5D) platformers.

I hope Namco makes a new one someday.

Last edited:

Spokker

Now you're just down to the easy choice of paying $80+ for the Wii or $300+ for the PS1 version!
I have both, actually. Bought Klonoa for PS1 a long time ago for not more than $80 before it got really rare. I bought the Wii version used at GameStop years ago. Klonoa 2 isn't rare but I have that one too.

It's a shame there are no more remasters or sequels.

iorek21

I remember playing Klonoa 2 when very young. Played it without understanding anything, but I remember being very sad whist playing the last levels. Dunno if it was because of the music or the cinematics that I barely understood, but still, got pretty sad.

Spokker

I remember playing Klonoa 2 when very young. Played it without understanding anything, but I remember being very sad whist playing the last levels. Dunno if it was because of the music or the cinematics that I barely understood, but still, got pretty sad.
That makes sense. Some of the later levels revolve around things like the Kingdom of Indecision and Kingdom of Sorrow whose people don't look very happy. Also, the endings for both games are kind of sad.

JimboJones

Would have preferred the cell shaded approach of 2 in the remake but it still looks very good on dolphin.
I actually bought the Wii version at release, only cost like £20.

UnNamed

Banned
For me this game was always Door to Phantomile since it was the only thing readable on the japanese cover at launch.
Door to Phantomile is much better than Klonoa.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
PS1 cutscenes are more expressive, but the in-game graphics are rough, man.

You know what? Just gimme both and all the other Klonoa games in a complete collection. It’s high time they do this. Klonoa 1 and 2 are wonderful games that stay with you long after you’ve beaten them. A couple of scenes in Door to Phantomile are still heartbreaking.

Top Bottom