• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Kong X360 ROCKS!

Wow! I wasn't expecting this drastic of a graphical upgrade for a current-gen port. I think King Kong may be the best-looking X360 game out--not strictly on the technical side, for sure, but all-around taking into account art direction. And it's the best game in the lineup, too, from what I've played--it's stolen all my time away from Call of Duty, Kameo and Perfect Dark. It's simplistic, but gripping--and far more engaging than I thought it would be, since the premise is so shallow.
It looks pretty good on the current (last?) gen systems, too. I hope it doesn't get overlooked. It's a welcome bit of originality--who'd have thought, from a movie licensed game?

The animation is very impressive but best looking game on the X360?

I think that's stretching it a little.

Call of Duty 2, PGR3, and Perfect Dark Zero for the win.

Cold-Steel said:
The animation is very impressive but best looking game on the X360?

I think that's stretching it a little.

Call of Duty 2, PGR3, and Perfect Dark Zero for the win.

Nah. Those look so sterile in comparison. Technically good, but no art talent. Perfect Dark is the most plastic game I've ever seen, including Army Men :)

Call of Duty looks very nice, but I think Kong's atmosphere puts it over the top.

Leondexter said:
Nah. Those look so sterile in comparison. Technically good, but no art talent. Perfect Dark is the most plastic game I've ever seen, including Army Men :)

Call of Duty looks very nice, but I think Kong's atmosphere puts it over the top.

That's because half of Kong's gameplay takes place in dark, foggy, cloudy, barren landscapes filled with dinosaurs whereas Call of Duty is a warzone populated with broken European vistas and Nazis.

Nazis > Dinosaurs.

J/K

Mifune

Mehmber
I was majorly impressed with the Kong demo on 360. It was surprisingly intense and scary. And yeah, the artwork is fantastic.

This is one to pick up down the line.

J2 Cool

So are you saying the 2 best looking games are on the demo kiosks? Anyway, from all accumulated knowledge, PGR3 seems to be the decisive visual leader. Unless it's not artistic enough..

demi

Move forward -> Chuck spears at / Shoot Dinosaurs / Bat creatures / Fish creatures / Millipedes

Come up to a bunch of bushes -> Light spear on fire -> Clear path

Repeat -> Repeat -> Eventual Kong scene -> Deal with wonky controls

See step 1

zzzzzz

koam

I was at futureshop about a week ago and the game was on display. I asked for a game and the clerk went in the back to get it. So I was waiting there for about 5 minutes waiting for him to come back and some stupid fat bastard was playing the game and he sucked shit at it. The whole time, I would just hear the stupid girl in the game yell out "AH, EIII, AH EII" for fucking 5 minutes. It was obnoxious as fuck and every time I hear about this game, that obnoxious scream goes through my head. AHH AIIEE AH AIIEE.

This post did not contribute to this thread but I had to get that off my chest. Oh and Kameo looks better than this.

Fuma

Banned
Finally, some more Kong love! I've been championing this game for a while now. Playing as Kong on a good home theater is almost like playing a movie. Get this game!

jenov4

koam said:
I was at futureshop about a week ago and the game was on display. I asked for a game and the clerk went in the back to get it. So I was waiting there for about 5 minutes waiting for him to come back and some stupid fat bastard was playing the game and he sucked shit at it. The whole time, I would just hear the stupid girl in the game yell out "AH, EIII, AH EII" for fucking 5 minutes. It was obnoxious as fuck and every time I hear about this game, that obnoxious scream goes through my head. AHH AIIEE AH AIIEE.

This post did not contribute to this thread but I had to get that off my chest. Oh and Kameo looks better than this.

:lol

Argh, this makes another game I need to pick up for the 360. DAMN YOU GAF!

Fifty

Does it have any unlockables at all? Harder difficulties even? I'm not one who rents a lot of games (any really) but if this is just going to last 6 hours and I'm only going to play through it once it's hard to justify a purchase. It looks great though.

Fuma

Banned
Fifty said:
Does it have any unlockables at all? Harder difficulties even? I'm not one who rents a lot of games (any really) but if this is just going to last 6 hours and I'm only going to play through it once it's hard to justify a purchase. It looks great though.

Yeah, once you beat the game you can replay the lvls and get points. These points unlock certain things such as Peter Jackson interviews etc. Even though the game is short, you will want to play the better lvls again over and over. Im numero uno in the world on some of the lvls, which isnt saying much since alot of people have yet to play the game, much less replay it for points..but still its nice to be on top.

demi said:
Move forward -> Chuck spears at / Shoot Dinosaurs / Bat creatures / Fish creatures / Millipedes

See step 1

zzzzzz

You forgot "find handles" dumbshit ;)

Although, as repetitive in nature the game is, it's really fun. The game is perfectly balanced difficulty wise, it flows well, great art direction and visuals, and enough gameplay variety to the last the 7 or so hour trek.

Sysgen

Anyone reead the Gamespot review of the 360 version?

he PlayStation 2 and GameCube versions look near identical, and the Xbox version looks slightly better, with cleaner textures and better lighting. However, it's the 360 version that really steals the show. This isn't just a half-hearted port of the Xbox game. Everything in this version looks markedly better than the rest, which is what you would hope for from a next-gen console. Fantastic lighting, improved level geometry and textures, better fire effects, scarier-looking dinosaurs and beasts, and of course, a better-looking Kong, all reside on the 360 version. Those improvements are noticable even in standard definition, but HD is really where they shine. The frame rate does take a bit of a hit during a couple of specific sequences on all platforms, though the 360 version handles these bits a lot better. Granted, the 360 version of the game is slightly more expensive than the other console versions--$10 more, specifically. But considering that the other versions are being sold at full retail price, it's worth going for the 360 version if you own the system, simply because there's a big difference in visual quality, even if the content is the same across the board.

demi

C- Warrior said:
You forgot "find handles" dumbshit ;)

Although, as repetitive in nature the game is, it's really fun. The game is perfectly balanced difficulty wise, it flows well, great art direction and visuals, and enough gameplay variety to the last the 7 or so hour trek.

I thought it was "immersive" too, especially when I got hit and my entire vision went out of fucking wack and I lost all sense of direction and eventually got hit again and died.

It's worth a playthrough once, but after that it just fizzles out completely.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
demi said:
I thought it was "immersive" too, especially when I got hit and my entire vision went out of fucking wack and I lost all sense of direction and eventually got hit again and died.

It's worth a playthrough once, but after that it just fizzles out completely.

Playthroughable in a rental?

It does sound fun in a casual, sit back and enjoy the ride kind of way

demi said:

See step 1

zzzzzz

You can oversimplify any game that way. Try it, it's fun!

Final Fantasy: walk around for two seconds, swirly scene change, menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu, line dancing...er, I mean, combat animations...wash rinse repeat.

Quake: shoot demon, get key, open door, repeat.

Any fighting game: Fight. Repeat.

Any scrolling shooter: Move, shoot, die...fire super weapon. Die. Repeat.

That doesn't change the fact that the game is fun.

I got to watch my friend play this at his house on his tv which was running 1080i and I was simply amazed. The displays that the kiosks are using are crap or aren't setup properly because this was just amazing looking. I thought it was just ok looking in the stores but this was like a totaly different game. I know the kiosks were setup properly because I've seen half a dozen or so and they all look the same.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Teknopathetic said:
"Technically good, but no art talent."

PGR3: The art in real life sucks!
Just to make it clear, I'm not talking about PGR3 here AT ALL, but just because something looks like real life doesn't mean it can't be done with or without art talent. I'm sure we've all seen more than plenty of very crappy photos of nature and people, and some really great looking ones too - even though both poor and great looking photos are just pictures of 'plain' reality, there's a clear quality difference between them.

Leondexter said:

Final Fantasy: walk around for two seconds, swirly scene change, menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu, line dancing...er, I mean, combat animations...wash rinse repeat.

_claps_

COCKLES

being watched
demi said:

See step 1

zzzzzz

Tell me about it. Tedium redefined.

demi

Leondexter said:

I said it was playable once. Don't make me remind you again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
koam said:

That reminds me of Mario Baseball. There is the HORRIBLE voice they use when you get a Strike (I think, as it sounds so bad I couldn't fully understand it). Anyways, so kid was playing while I was waiting to get up to the reji and he just kept f*cking striking out and that voice was playing over and over and over again. So annoying...

That screaming sounds even worse, though...

Top Bottom