• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Kong Female Lead TV Series In Works At MarVista Entertainment & IM Global TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
kongkingscull.jpg

Written by Jonathan Penner and Stacy Title (The Bye Bye Man), the series is based on Merian C. Cooper’s King Kong and DeVito ArtWorks’ Skull Island. King Kong Skull Island is a serialized, contemporary continuation of the classic with a female-led, multi-cultural ensemble that delves fully into the wonders and horrors of Skull Island and its origins.

Independent studio MarVista Entertainment and IM Global Television, a joint venture between independent studio IM Global, Chinese digital giant Tencent and Tang Media Partners, will develop, co-produce, and co-finance the series, executive produced by Penner and Title, Oscar nominees for 1993 short film Down on the Waterfront, as well as Dannie Festa (Trolls) of World Builder Entertainment

http://deadline.com/2017/04/king-ko...rvista-entertainment-im-global-tv-1202071347/

Haven't seen The Bye Bye Man.
I'd love to see a Kaiju show but I wonder how it would look on a TV budget. Flash did manage to pull off Gorilla Grodd but they used him very sparingly.

I mean if its a TV show it's likely going to be TWD style, 90% people talking about drama and 10% monsters. Just because budget wise you can't really embed that much special effects into a show with 10-12 episodes a year. Doesn't really sound like a good idea, but here is hoping I am wrong.

Re: where to watch, usually this kind of show is created and shot and while its being filmed its shopped around to networks. You could have, say, NBC or Netflix pick it up in America and ITV in England and so on around the world. However, because its created by third party studios the incentive to renew rests solely on viewers since there is no extra money for the distribution network.

IM Global TV currently has Cat's Cradle on FX (in production, based on Kurt Vonnegut book) and then just a really, really random bunch of shows that all seem to be in pre-production still. This feels like a company that is spending crazy amounts of money and its hard to see a path to financial success.
http://www.imglobaltv.com/scripted-slate/

Busty

Banned
This feels like the very definition of the TV equivalent of vapourware. I'd be very surprised if this ever sees the light of day.

ZoddGutts

Haven't seen The Bye Bye Man.
I'd love to see a Kaiju show but I wonder how it would look on a TV budget. Flash did manage to pull off Gorilla Grodd but they used him very sparingly.

It's been done for decades, Ultraman franchise.

I mean if its a TV show it's likely going to be TWD style, 90% people talking about drama and 10% monsters.

Sadly, I'll just be this instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom