• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

According to Steam I have 250 hours into Kerbal, plus whatever time I put into the game before it came out on Steam. Finally got my first rocket on a rendezvous with Jool. It'll pass right over the north pole of Jool with plenty of delta-V to put it into orbit. While I'm still in a good transfer window I should probably fire off a second one to see if I make a pass at some of the moons as well.

Have they shown any gameplay with a controller yet? The trailer in the PlayStation blog had a few snippets of mouse control, with seemingly no UI adjustments for a game pad.

HotHamBoy

So the verdict isn't great on PS4 then?, dammit.

What? No, there is no verdict as of yet, just speculation based on the usual Unity console woes. It could still turn out fine, and be improved with patches.

Release date is tomorrow but this was just announced like yesterday, so no reviews or anything yet. Or even a price, for that matter.

danowat

Banned
What? No, there is no verdict as of yet, just speculation based on the usual Unity console woes. It could still turn out fine, and be improved with patches.

Release date is tomorrow but this was just announced like yesterday, so no reviews or anything yet. Or even a price, for that matter.

Lol, you're right, I was getting confused with the reports of frame drops in Songs of the Deep (another Unity engined game)

GAF gamers probably tend to have above average PC's so we are used to targeting 60fps at high to max settings on a game like KSP. However, as someone who browses /r/kerbalspaceprogram often, I am reminded that a vast user base plays this game on laptops at the lowest or very low settings. Consoles, even with framerate issues, could be a huge upgrade for some KSP fans. Very curious to see what their after launch support is like on console side.

ElFly

The only "info" we have is that the PS4 trailer has some sections with p low framerate, particularly when floating in space.

It's not all the trailer, mind you.

The only "info" we have is that the PS4 trailer has some sections with p low framerate, particularly when floating in space.

It's not all the trailer, mind you.

There has been gameplay footage on consoles released a few months back and it all looked very rough framerate wise. It is expected to be better, especially since their move to Unity 5 has happened since then and KSP is running better than ever. However, there is valid reason for concern about framerate on consoles aside from the trailer. Unity games have tended to run like a leaded bag of dicks on consoles, we have seen fps issues in both their gameplay videos and their trailers, and KSP can bring even decent PCs to their knees fps wise when you start building large ships and stations. I hope it runs great, but performance is the main concern for me ahead of launch. I think the controls will be fine.

And will there be any mods available on consoles?

Playing without some kind of KER is IMO pointless.

I wouldn't expect mods. But I do expect Squad to continue what they have done all throughout developement and slowly implement the most popular mods into the main game. I am honestly shocked Kerbal Engineer is not part of the core game yet.

ElFly

Is there any word on the console controller support being added to Kerbal PC. Particularly the Xbone or PS4 scheme.

PS4 controller doesn't look half bad, although I gotta check some of the Steam controllers options for PC.

I wouldn't expect mods. But I do expect Squad to continue what they have done all throughout developement and slowly implement the most popular mods into the main game. I am honestly shocked Kerbal Engineer is not part of the core game yet.
I haven't played in a while. Is mechjeb integrated into sandbox mode?

I haven't played in a while. Is mechjeb integrated into sandbox mode?

No.

Playing it now. Building a pretty standard mun and back ship in sandbox mode. Will have impressions shortly. So far it is mouse cursor with analog stick or motion control. No touchpad support which is odd. VAB is doable but obviously a bit slower. I also didn't do any tutorials to see if they teach you all the keypad short cuts, but you can check them at any time in the VAB. The texture settings are definitely not on high. Not sure what they equate to on PC version, cause I have always ran KSP at max. This is definitely the PC game straight ported over without much changed. Let's hope things fly ok!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
After like 100+ hours on the PC version, I still haven't installed any mods. I should look into what's out there.

The only mod I’ve only ever dabbled with Kerbal Engineer Redux, but that’s it. I haven’t ever even looked at available mods, lol. I should browse them sometime to see what’s out there.

Grinchy

Banned
The only mod I’ve only ever dabbled with Kerbal Engineer Redux, but that’s it. I haven’t ever even looked at available mods, lol. I should browse them sometime to see what’s out there.

We play our sandbox games too damn vanilla lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
We play our sandbox games too damn vanilla lol

Yeah we do! It’s not that I’m against mods, but as long as I’m having fun I don’t bother, lol! My Skyrim install is mostly mod-less too, I believe I only have the improved UI mod on it, maybe some other minor ones. The only game I ever truly extensively modded was Simcity 4, and now ironically enough Cities Skylines but to a much lesser extent.

PS4 KSP Impressions
OK, so it is a bit rough, but not broken, and runs fine. Definitely playable and still KSP fun, but not without some issues.

Graphics:
-Game look fine, some blend of medium and high settings. The textures for the VAB icons look worse than they do on the ship.
-Framerate was fine with a regular sized ship flown to the Mun and back. Was it locked 60, no. But Firewatch was in much worse shape at launch than this. I did not notice any major slowdown during my first mission. Bigger ships will likely cause more issues, but they do on most PCs too.
-Lighting seems to have some issues. When landing on the Mun, my landing lights did not illuminate things the way I would expect. It looked like only one light was on, and the other two off, even though all three were turned on

Controls:
-Why in god's name is motion control turned on by default? Moving the cursor with this is awful, turn it off immediatly
-No control mapping customization. This really needs to be added
-You basically move a mouse cursor with your analog stick for the majority of input outside of flying your ships
-Flying ships is actually pretty good, but switching around between things can be clunky
-Setting maneuver nodes isn't bad, but fine tuning the spot can be tough
-Moving the camera around takes getting used to
-Some big control issues come up when having to switch between ship control and cursor control. You click L3 and it brings up the mouse cursor, but you can't control your ship when cursor is up. This causes many issues for me, more details in impressions.
-Overall it is totally playable with a controller. A bit wonky, but some minor tweaks or allowing custom mapping could easily resolve it.

Building Ships:
-Easy enough to do with a controller. Not ideal, but not that big of a hindrance
-Getting used to all the shortcuts takes a minute
-Camera controls don't feel intuitive yet
-Didn't have much trouble building a ship. Could become more difficult with more complex ships, but overall it just takes a little more patience

Gameplay:
-It's KSP all right. I succesfully landed on the Mun and returned to Kerbin without any problems. Flying felt natural. In my mission to land on Mun and back, my biggest issue was forgetting the ablative shield. So, the real challenge still remains the gameplay, not combating any weird systems on the console version
-There is only a controller shortcut for time warp, but it actually only turns on physics warp which is really fucking weird. This is honestly the biggest curveball and complaint for me right now. It makes no sense. Once in space, why would you ever need physics warp? I have no idea why the shortcut isn't the exact same thing as the mapping on PC where if you warp in atmosphere, it does physics warp, and once in space, it is time warp. This has to be a bug or mistake. It is too important to be able to quickly go in and out of time warp to have it mapped to using a cursor every time. It even says "time warp" in the shortcut description.
-I expect for noobs, console might be tough. KSP isn't terribly intuitive, but at least on PC the act of mousing over things, left clicking or right clicking feels natural. Doing all these button combinations of holding L1 and hitting other buttons or long press buttons and short press buttons only clicked with me because I knew exactly what I needed to do so I just looked up the button combinations. For someone with zero knowledge of KSP, these extra button combinations may become a big hurdle on top of the already challenging learning curve of KSP
-The game did crash twice on me during warps into physics intense situations, eg warping into Kerbin atmosphere.

Overall initial impressions:
-It is not as bad or rough as I thought it would be, but it also has some pretty glaring issues at launch. Ironically I was very concerned about performance issues, but for the most part those haven't been a problem at all.
-The current button mapping and lack of customization is the biggest problem right now.
-The fact that when you go into mouse cursor mode, you cannot control your ship creates some odd situations. This means that you cannot actively check your Ap and Pe via mouse over while flying your ship.
-They really should take advantage of the DS4 touchpad. When you make contact with it, it should bring up your cursor, slide finger around, click to click in game, take finger off, instantly go out of cursor mode. That would be sooooooo much better.
-So with all of this weird cursor mode, control mode switch, this game absolutely needs Kerbal Engineer Redux as a build in mod. With some control tweaks and Kerbal Engineer Redux added to this game, I thing they have a really solid console offering on hand.

I will post some pics later.

To me, the two mandatory career-mode mods are Kerbal Engineer(or basically something to see TWR and Delta-V) and Kerbal Alarm Clock. So I'm kind of hoping the lack of mods on console will finally be enough to convince Squad to just build that into the base game.

MadYarpen

PS4 KSP Impressions
OK, so it is a bit rough, but not broken, and runs fine. Definitely playable and still KSP fun, but not without some issues.
I will post some pics later.

Thanks for the impressions.
I'll wait and see if they fix these issues. Not using touchpad really makes no sense.

If they improve and add most important mods - I'll buy it. KSP is the only reason I have windows installed, and it is one reason to many.

What I think is mandatory is KER and docking align mod. KSP alarm clock is usefull too.

Thanks for the impressions.
I'll wait and see if they fix these issues. Not using touchpad really makes no sense.

If they improve and add most important mods - I'll buy it. KSP is the only reason I have windows installed, and it is one reason to many.

What I think is mandatory is KER and docking align mod. KSP alarm clock is usefull too.

Precise Node would be really useful so you don't have to fiddle with the different maneaver arrows.
Protractor/Porkchop planner is exceptionally necessary if you want to get anywhere besides mun or minimus.

I think for consoles a stripped down version of KER is fine. They just need to have that info in game by default. I should have to click 4 different buttons and mouse around to see my Pe and Ap. That info needs to be on screen at all times. Kerbal alarm clock and precision nodes is probably more than to console demographic needs imo. If mods are what you want, PC had to be the choice.

I'll be curious to see how quick patches come and how serious Squad takes their console offerings. I think the foundation is fine, and more than enough for new players to experience the fun of KSP, but some UI and control mapping tweaks would go a long way. I do like getting trophies for KSP though. I need to look up how hard the platinum will be.

Streaming some KSP PS4 for anyone interested. Will probably start a new career. https://www.twitch.tv/gutterboy4444

Edit: done streaming for the night. Will definitely do some more tomorrow. Thanks to anyone who tuned in.

The more time I spent with it, the better the game felt. Playing early career missons gelt no different. Some key binding tweaks and some KER like onscreen info and this release will be super solid.

GodofWine

The more time I spent with it, the better the game felt. Playing early career missons gelt no different. Some key binding tweaks and some KER like onscreen info and this release will be super solid.

That's how I feel, the controls are OK, I just need to learn the better for the most part, I built a horrible mun rocket and would have managed to at worst, kill Bill via lithobraking into the Mun, but I warped him into deep space because I hit the wrong this.

Its a faithful, well done port. It'll struggle with huge, HUGE ships, but huge ships are only for fun, you can get anywhere with a efficient mid size ship.

For anyone curious as to what all the controller shortcuts(when flying) look like on PS4.

bfElAyT.jpg

Darnit. I launched, got to 80km orbit, travelled to Eeloo, got in an orbit around it, landed, got back in orbit, and started to head back to Kerbin, but I ran out of fuel before I could get into an orbit. I just can't do this trip. It's killing me.

And, my attempt to Moho was a disaster, too. Ran out of fuel trying to get into a stable orbit.

I really want to get my ship to be able to land and return on all planets and moons (except Eve and Jool). At least I was able to get to Duna, land, go to its moon, return to Kerbin orbit, land on Mun, and then finally land on Kerbin in one long trip. I'm surprised I was able to achieve so much on one trip.

MadYarpen

yeah it gets so much harder after Duna...
I only managed to send a probe to Eve. I want to go to eve's orbit and back, and I think it is doable with my current skill, but game is constantly crashing so my space program is on hold. Also I am trying to do a contract which requires me to put an asteroid into Jool orbit. Not an easy thing it is. So far I have an asteroid ready on a convenient Kerbin's orbit, but now it gets challenging.

PS4 version is a big mess. Text is too small. Interface is clunky and mostly trying to simulate a mouse. Frame rate is sub 20 most of the time. Tons of graphical glitches. Lots of weird Z clipping issues and flickering polygons. Yes whole polygons flickering, not pixels.

I hope it gets a bunch of patches. But I don't think it is going to sell well, so I don't have big hopes of it being supported like the PC version.

Stick to the PC version people.

PS4 version is a big mess. Text is too small. Interface is clunky and mostly trying to simulate a mouse. Frame rate is sub 20 most of the time. Tons of graphical glitches. Lots of weird Z clipping issues and flickering polygons. Yes whole polygons flickering, not pixels.

I hope it gets a bunch of patches. But I don't think it is going to sell well, so I don't have big hopes of it being supported like the PC version.

Stick to the PC version people.

The PS4 version is not without issues, but I wouldn't consider it a mess. I have played for several hours now, done many career missions and not had any problems that would constitute a mess. I've had no further crashes, the controls are becoming familiar and less cumbersome (other than the main complaints about lack of proper warp and KER like info, and custom mapping) and the game runs like it would on a mid range PC. The only main graphics issues seem to be related to lights/lighting, but they aren't game breaking. I would like to see them fixed soon though, as I always like having lots of lights on my ships. Got to look good.

No one expected locked fps on console, hell I don't even get that on my machine often, and certainly no one expected the console version to be as good as or exceed the PC version. You would have to have never played KSP to expect that. There is a lot to manage with keyboard and mouse, let alone one controller. If anything, a game as complicated as KSP even being this playable on a console is no small feat. They can make some meaningful changes to some button mapping stuff, maybe the odd performance tweak or two, but otherwise I think the console version is more than competent. Of course if you have a computer that can run this as well as the console version, go with that for mod support alone and the obvious keyboard and mouse benefits. But if you only own a PS4, and KSP interests you, you still get to experience what makes this game great. Nothing about running through the early career missions is different so far. All my failures and sucesses are just as fun and challenging.

I DID IT! KERBIN TO EELOO, LANDED, AND BACK IN ONE TRIP WITHOUT REFUELING!

I'll post the ship and the tale in a few days when I have more time to do a proper write up, but man, I came in like a fireball. I'm surprised the heat shield and command module survived my terrible shallow reentry at 4300 m/s without blowing up or the heat shield depleting. In fact, the heat shield still was only at 569/800. And, I was somehow able to slow down in time to deploy the parachutes. Wow. I thought I wasn't going to make it home...

I wish I had about 500 more Delta V for this trip. I'm going to see if I can tweak things, but very short, there's stage to get into space, stage to get into stable orbit and leave Kerbin's orbit, stage to get into Eeloo orbit, and two stages for landing, docking, and returning. I burnt too much fuel in the Eeloo orbit stage that crippled my landing and returning stages making reentry a miracle.

Wow. So happy. Now I want to make this a routine trip like Duna, and then I'm going to land on Laythe or Moho, whichever is the next easiest.

I DID IT! KERBIN TO EELOO, LANDED, AND BACK IN ONE TRIP WITHOUT REFUELING!

I'll post the ship and the tale in a few days when I have more time to do a proper write up, but man, I came in like a fireball. I'm surprised the heat shield and command module survived my terrible shallow reentry at 4300 m/s without blowing up or the heat shield depleting. In fact, the heat shield still was only at 569/800. And, I was somehow able to slow down in time to deploy the parachutes. Wow. I thought I wasn't going to make it home...

I wish I had about 500 more Delta V for this trip. I'm going to see if I can tweak things, but very short, there's stage to get into space, stage to get into stable orbit and leave Kerbin's orbit, stage to get into Eeloo orbit, and two stages for landing, docking, and returning. I burnt too much fuel in the Eeloo orbit stage that crippled my landing and returning stages making reentry a miracle.

Wow. So happy. Now I want to make this a routine trip like Duna, and then I'm going to land on Laythe or Moho, whichever is the next easiest.

Well done! I haven't even come close to doing a mission like that. Sounds like a hell of a challenge. I am going to force myself to do trips like that though, cause I want my fricking KSP Platinum trophy damn it!

danowat

Banned
what's the deal with the release outside of the US?, I know the PS4 version has been delayed indefinitely, but what about the XBO version?

danthefan

I landed on the Mun the other day but I don't have the fuel to get back. I'm trying to plan a rescue mission but having trouble designing the rocket, just adding more fuel tanks doesn't seem to help too much, guess because of the added weight.

Probably need to rethink the whole design which is upsetting me. This game is hard.

The guy on the Mun is my best pilot and had loads of science so I really need him back :(

MadYarpen

I landed on the Mun the other day but I don't have the fuel to get back. I'm trying to plan a rescue mission but having trouble designing the rocket, just adding more fuel tanks doesn't seem to help too much, guess because of the added weight.

Probably need to rethink the whole design which is upsetting me. This game is hard.

The guy on the Mun is my best pilot and had loads of science so I really need him back :(
try to mess with engines, some of them are much more efficient, and lower thrust does not hurt very much in vacuum and during a trip to the Mun.

danthefan

try to mess with engines, some of them are much more efficient, and lower thrust does not hurt very much in vacuum and during a trip to the Mun.

I stapped a couple of SRBs into the launch stage and it helped a lot. I think the craft I had designed initially did have enough Delta V for the return trip but I'm just not a very good pilot. I just got to the Mun and back with no problem, though I'd a pilot in so I couldn't do the rescue. The SRBs gave me a nice boost up out of the atmosphere and much more fuel for the rest of the manoeuvres. I'll replace the pilot with a control module now and should be good to go.

ElFly

You need really little extra fuel to come back from the mun.

Like....1/10 of the fuel that got you there I think?

Basically you need to get in the orbit of the mun, which is almost free given how little gravity there is, and once you do that, you gotta burn enough to touch a little of Kerbal atmosphere and the air friction will do the rest.

Crispy75

You need really little extra fuel to come back from the mun.

Like....1/10 of the fuel that got you there I think?

Basically you need to get in the orbit of the mun, which is basically free given how little gravity there is, and once you do that, you gotta burn enough to touch a little of Kerbal atmosphere and the air friction will do the rest.

You want to get <45km though, unless you want it to take ages lowering your periapsis orbit by orbit

Z_Y

It's up on the UK store.

But holy heck if it doesn't stutter, I've watched a couple of live streams and it pauses and hitches all over the place :-/

Damn. I've wanted this game forever but don't have a PC to play it on. You're breaking my heart.

Top Bottom