• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katana Zero, or the game that single handedly changed the way I view low budget 2D indie games

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Alright, alright, I admit it, I've always overlooked the mountain of cheap looking indie 2D crud, and the games usually don't hold my attention for long when I do bite,

but this game is.............

FREAKING AMAZING

holding-hands-spaceballs.gif

Holy F'in crud.

The gameplay, the artstyle, the story. It's ingenious. A masterpiece. The Picasso of low budget gaming. I'm not exaggerating. This is not hyperbole. You have to try yourself. I'm hooked I can't put it down.

If you're like me and overlook these games in favour of the next big thing, this is the one game you stop on and say, you know what I'm gonna try you out little buddy.

You owe it to yourself.

anthony2690

Banned
I really enjoyed Katana Zero :)
Still waiting for the free expansion they announced forever ago!

Also OP there is a lot of high quality indie games, both the ori games are incredible, especially the second one.

Olli Olli world (skip the talking), deaths door & dead cells are also few more exceptional games.

I tried playing this on PC Game Pass and had the worst experience I’ve had with a game in years. The gameplay was alright, but the writing was atrocious. I was embarrassed for it even playing by myself. Worse, and the thing that sealed the deal for me was the game crashed when I was about halfway through, and it corrupted my entire save file so I would have needed to start all over again.

Power Pro

I've actually owned this on my Nintendo Switch for quite a while. Bought it on sale probably, but never have booted it up. I feel like I've always overlooked it because of the reasons you say you usually do.

Got so much in my backlog, that it always just liked another one of those indie games that I couldn't put myself in the mood for.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I tried playing this on PC Game Pass and had the worst experience I’ve had with a game in years. The gameplay was alright, but the writing was atrocious. I was embarrassed for it even playing by myself. Worse, and the thing that sealed the deal for me was the game crashed when I was about halfway through, and it corrupted my entire save file so I would have needed to start all over again.

1c9abe17-79a0-455b-9295-3fc4ac863083_text.gif

anthony2690

Banned
Wishlisted on Xbox. I'll check it out after I finish Kaze, another 2d platformer recently recommended in some other GAF thread.
How is Kaze? It's £8.24 currently and I've been considering it for a while, gives me a mix of sonic & donkey Kong country from the trailers.

Jennings

How is Kaze? It's £8.24 currently and I've been considering it for a while, gives me a mix of sonic & donkey Kong country from the trailers.
This poster really liked it:
Can recommend Kaze and the Wild Masks. Fun platformer with beautiful artstyle. Reminiscent of Rayman or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Available on all platforms.

As for me, it very much feels like an easier Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze styled game. Same types of collecting happening. Similar controls. Similar puzzle/challenge rooms with similar collection rewards. The main difference for me is that the controls feel floatier and less precise, which is likely a result of the large characters/creatures, abilities, and animation style. I am still very early in the game though so these are really just very early impressions, as I've only completed 5 or 6 stages out of dozens.

LordPezix

Terraria. I've always enjoyed indie games but most I played were rather quick adventures, Terraria changed that entirely. I didn't know what the hell I was doing and I remember it taking me a long time to figure stuff out but I always had fun doing it.

Poppyseed

Rubbish, actually. It’s so generic, so obviously ripping off Donkey Kong Country and not in a good way, with controls not as tight and graphics in the middling department. I was exceptionally bored from the start and it never got any better. Put it down after a couple of hours of only playing it because I bought it.

Gambit2483

Wasn't this game supposed to get a DLC story expansion?

I guess they just decided not to do it, like Platinum Games with W101s DLC expansion...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Right now, I think this is better than Hades or Dead Cells.

The gameplay is as good or better but it's not some cruddy roguelite and actually has progression. The story is amazing and the gameplay and movement is so good it actually makes you feel like a futuristic cyborg assassin like how Ninja Gaiden made you feel like a Ninja.

You become the Samurai.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I woke up in a cold sweat last night at 4 am and was compelled to start playing like I was in a trance.

This is the best game I played this year.

Gow, Wreckfest and Bayonetta 3 have been surpassed.

Top Bottom