• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juan Soto wins the NL batting title. Youngest player ever to do so in the modern era.

955260e55cc437324e0641fedc4f0091f03af271.gifv

Juan Soto keeps making history.

Nationals outfielder Juan Soto became the National League's youngest batting champion on Sunday, as Washington closed out the season with a 15-5 victory over the New York Mets.

Soto walked and singled before being lifted for a pinch hitter in the third inning, elevating his average to .351 and sealing the NL lead in the category.

The 21-year-old Soto surpassed Brooklyn's Pete Reiser as the youngest ever to take a batting crown. Reiser was 22 when he ended the 1941 season hitting a league-leading .343.

Hey have you ever noticed that Devon White was a black man who played center field while Charlie Blackmon is a white man who plays center field? Kinda makes you think

Just realized I didn't congratulate Juan on the accomplishment. Congrats kid, I'll be grabbing my dick around 1 am this morning as a tribute

diffusionx

Gold Member
I watched a lot of baseball this year, ultimately it's irrelevant, the level of play was abhorrent, the schedules were totally unbalanced, the rules are different, and the stats are completely meaningless. I mean, yes in a vacuum he had the highest batting average over a 60 game span in 2020, which just happened to be the whole span, but it really has no relevance or import outside of this one year. Any statistic generated this year should not be compared to statistics generated in any other year, let's just agree to that.

Last edited:
I watched a lot of baseball this year, ultimately it's irrelevant, the level of play was abhorrent, the schedules were totally unbalanced, the rules are different, and the stats are completely meaningless. I mean, yes in a vacuum he had the highest batting average over a 60 game span in 2020, which just happened to be the whole span, but it really has no relevance or import outside of this one year. Any statistic generated this year should not be compared to statistics generated in any other year, let's just agree to that.
He is still a World Series Champion from the last real season.

c539fba1f98ba91a1d2152e8cde3b08f.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
He is still a World Series Champion from the last real season.

c539fba1f98ba91a1d2152e8cde3b08f.gif

He is obviously a great player, nobody is denying that, just that winning a statistic title this year only has relevance to this year. Especially something like BA or ERA that could change a lot early in the season with few appearances.

Last edited:
He is obviously a great player, nobody is denying that, just that winning a statistic title this year only has relevance to this year. Especially something like BA or ERA that could change a lot early in the season with few appearances.
I agree. I don’t think even the players will care. Openly I guess they can’t say it tho, compromise the season and all

Congrats to Juan Soto. Not only he won the batting title but he's also on vacation fishing with the rest of the Nationals during the playoffs. Truly living his best life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom