• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Star Wars Jedi Survivor is coming in March 2023

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Jeff Grubb: Hell in a Cell vs. The Undertaker

mick foley wrestling GIF by WWE

That sounds a pretty fast turnaround by AAA development standards. I hope its not reusing some of the planets, and assets.
If it does release in March 2023, it will have been almost 3.5 years of development time which is fairly standard for a sequel. Fallen Order was developed using UE4 and it seems the sequel also will be using UE4 so that should make things easier/smoother as well.

Banned
That sounds a pretty fast turnaround by AAA development standards. I hope its not reusing some of the planets, and assets.

My guess is because it doesn't try to be a cinematic nonsense game with focus on the wrong and usually more demanding garnish modern AAA titles have, they can focus more on simply making a good game and the story/mocap/cinematic stuff is all done cheap and quick.

that's what Respawn's games all feel like. a focus on gameplay with the rest being done to be presentable but not as intricate with useless detail.

did you know that every character in The Last of Us 2 has a dynamic heart beat that influences breathing patterns and animation? no? well, they spend a lot of dev time and money into implementing this, while almost noone would ever notice that. I bet noone would have noticed that something is special about the breathing or animations in relationship with the heartbeat if they hadn't told the public in an interview.

if they didn't tell the public I could have made this whole thing up right now and noone would be the wiser

I think it's useless crap like that that makes game development so slow and expensive these days.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
My guess is because it doesn't try to be a cinematic nonsense game with focus on the wrong and usually more demanding garnish modern AAA titles have, they can focus more on simply making a good game and the story/mocap/cinematic stuff is all done cheap and quick.

that's what Respawn's games all feel like. a focus on gameplay with the rest being done to be presentable but not as intricate with useless detail.

did you know that every character in The Last of Us 2 has a dynamic heart beat that influences breathing patterns and animation? no? well, they spend a lot of dev time and money into implementing this, while almost noone would ever notice that. I bet noone would have noticed that something is special about the breathing or animations in relationship with the heartbeat if they hadn't told the public in an interview.

if they didn't tell the public I could have made this whole thing up right now and noone would be the wiser

I think it's useless crap like that that makes game development so slow and expensive these days.
Titanfall 2's campaign is the best fps campaign experience ever imo, not weighed down by the crap you mentioned. Still run through it every now and again, awesome design its like Mario in FPS form. crying shame we wont get 3.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I wanna say it was very quick development for the first game. Respawn knows how to put a game out on time and be quick about it. Anyways, I'm surprised it's taken them this long for the game to come out.

If it does release in March 2023, it will have been almost 3.5 years of development time which is fairly standard for a sequel. Fallen Order was developed using UE4 and it seems the sequel also will be using UE4 so that should make things easier/smoother as well.
It's been a pretty exciting trend with UE4/5 games. I think the Quixel acquisition and tool refinement has helped devs immensely

CamHostage

I thought the internal plan was Holiday 2022, so a quiet internal delay to March of 2023 makes sense.

Right into that traditional God of War slot, which is good since God of War is actually making it out before Christmas.

(This is meaningless for Xbox or PC owners, but even when they had that 2020 teaser Ragnarok is Coming, 2021, I immediately though, "oh, so March 2022 then?" Unfortunately, they missed that date too, but it's on for this year unless hell freezes over...)

Roufianos

Plus it's a fairly linear game. Pretty bizzare post from the guy you quoted.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am skeptical because so many games got pushed from this year to around that time next year. I guess the first to put their flag down gets it. Whenever it releases I am in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They’re trying to make Star Wars video games happen this generation. Why isn’t their Battlefront talk? Very strange.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I hadn't heard that, but I don't think the point is that you should notice it. Do you typically notice the heart rate of actual people? No, but it affects how people breathe and behave, and having this in the game probably makes the characters behave in a more convincing way (which seems to have worked out pretty well, as few if any games have more convincing characters). So it's very likely you would notice the difference if they turned it off.

Jedi Fallen Order is a fun game, but light-years behind ND games when it comes to that stuff. Which is fine, but let's not pretend it doesn't make a difference for story-driven games.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Me already not being a Souls fan plus Fallen Order being supper clunky and buggy, did not leave a good impression and I am not really lookng forward to this game. Hope they massively improve. Will check it out eventually in EA play through game pass.

Last edited:

Banned
Me already not being a Souls fan plus Fallen Order being supper clunky and buggy, did not leave a good impression and I am not really lookng forward to this game. Hope they massively improve. Will check it out eventually in EA play through game pass.

so the game has 0, Null, nil, naught, zero Dark Souls elements, and you not being a Souls fan was one of the reasons it didn't give you a good impression...

Question What GIF by 1 Play Sports

Banned

that video is... very dumb...

the only actual gameplay element Fallen Order has from Souls games is a VERY irrelevant version of "Soul" recovery after death. that version of the mechanic is so ridiculously toned down that it might as well not exist as you only lose progress to the next XP point but not your XP points, also you simply have to hit (not kill) the enemy that killed you once to get your progress towards the skill point back.

all other elements the game has are simply common Metroidvania elements that have been simplified for the most part.

so it's like... very unnecessary, super toned down and largely non-intrusive "lose souls" mechanic + Metroidvania Lite... that's the game. and on any difficultly setting below Jedi Grand Master the game is easy as fuck since the parry timing on Jedi Master and below is so generous that you can almost pre-parry attacks lol

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
that video is... very dumb...

the only actual gameplay element Fallen Order has from Souls games is a VERY irrelevant version of "Soul" recovery after death. that version of the mechanic is so ridiculously toned down that it might as well not exist as you only lose progress to the next XP point but not your XP points, also you simply have to hit (not kill) the enemy that killed you once to get your progress towards the skill point back.

all other elements the game has are simply common Metroidvania elements that have been simplified for the most part.

so it's like... very unnecessary, super toned down and largely non-intrusive "lose souls" mechanic + Metroidvania Lite... that's the game. and on any difficultly setting below Jedi Grand Master the game is easy as fuck since the parry timing on Jedi Master and below is so generous that you can almost pre-parry attacks lol

I see there is zero point arguing with you, cause you dismiss all facts on purpose. Good day breh.

Last edited:

Banned
I see there is zero point arguing with you, cause you dismiss all facts on purpose. Good day breh.

Dark Souls didn't invent ROLLING, nor did it invent talking to NPCs. the only mechanics Dark Souls actually invented and are therefore Dark Souls elements are loosing XP progress in combination with the progress being recoverable... and, well that's about it.
that is the main and only thing Dark Souls ever invented, every other element was already present in other games.

Fallen Order took this 1 element, toned it down to the most insignificant version ever seen, and then made it even less relevant because you only have a finite amount of predetermined "upgrades" and not even an actual RPG level-up system, which is also something a Souls Like has to have or it isn't a Souls like

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
So, which cameos do we expect? Ahsoka? Obi-Wan? Yoda?

And will they fix Cere‘s bug-eyes?

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Ashoka 100%

I would even go as far as to say that there will be a sequence where you play as her... and maybe unlockable bonus missions with her

Yeah, I think Ahsoka is the most likely.

I also wonder if we‘ll see the reverse, with Cal appearing in some of Disney‘s stuff, played by the actual actor from the game. He said ‚I can‘t talk about it‘ when he was asked whether his character could appear in some of Disney’s series. It could even be in that upcoming Ahsoka show; which means both of them appear in each others story. That could be kinda cool; we haven’t really seen that level of media crossover since the Matrix sequels and the accompanying game back in 2003.

Top Bottom