• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese YouTuber Sentenced to 2 Years in Prison for Sharing Gameplay and Anime Videos

1694084465-15991-1024x576.jpg

The Sendai District Court has sentenced the 53-year old Japanese YouTuber Shinobu Yoshida to two years in prison with a five-year suspended sentence and a one million yen fine for sharing Steins;Gate gameplay videos and a Spy x Family anime video. This is the first time that someone has been convicted of violating the act in connection with the distribution of gameplay videos. The judge was Koichi Nakamura, and the suspended sentence means that he won’t have to serve it if he doesn’t commit a crime in the next 5 years.
The defendant was charged with infringing copyright by distributing three videos on YouTube from September 2019 to May 2022 without permission, including a “spoiler” gameplay video which included the ending to the Steins;Gate: My Darling’s Embrace game, as well as an edited video of the anime Spy Family.

1694084955-76902.jpg

The prosecution argued that this was “a malicious act that trampled on the effort of content creation” by discouraging the purchase of the original products, while the defendant said at trial that he wanted someone to see what he created as part of his hobby.

Steins;Gate: My Darling’s Embrace (Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling) is a visual novel video game developed by 5pb, originally released for the Xbox 360 in 2011. It has since received several ports, most recently being released by Spike Chunsoft in English for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Microsoft Windows in 2019.

Roxkis_ii

Oh crap, that's seems extreme. They don't have an equivalent to cease and desist in Japan? You mess up and stright to jail? That's wild imo.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its rough and of course this is warning sentence..... but just do not break laws. it's really that simple. For some reason we ave got to place where people treat laws as a suggestion because there are no real consequences.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
ryan reynolds hd GIF

I do not understand. Were they still under NDA? Or is it generally about the fact that he showed something from it?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So no jail time with a suspended sentence, plus a $6800 fine (in US dollars).

I dont know how rampant video uploading is in Japan infringing on laws, but with this kind of precedent, the government can make a killing fining everyone 1M Yen for each violator. There's over 100M people in Japan. The dollars at stake is huge! lol

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Judge was like

"Oh, God, we must stop this man from sharing this cringe bullshit. Japan does not claim you, weeb! You bring dishonor to the country with this animuu nonsense. Make some kawaii nakama or some shit,"

Also, this is dumb.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
What's the difference between sharing a movie and sharing a "gameplay" video of a visual novel game on Youtube though? What's the point of playing them after watching it on Youtube? In my opinion, there might be some merit in this case, but companies should take better precautions in such matters and make it clear if they do not allow it. It's absurd for only one person to be penalized for something that thousands of people are doing.

Imagine being locked up for sharing Goodbye Volcano High gameplay videos lol.

Virex

Banned
Nintendo lawyers probably thinking : "Damn, they should have contacted us. We could have gotten them more years"

Unknown?

So no jail time with a suspended sentence, plus a $6800 fine (in US dollars).

I dont know how rampant video uploading is in Japan infringing on laws, but with this kind of precedent, the government can make a killing fining everyone 1M Yen for each violator. There's over 100M people in Japan. The dollars at stake is huge! lol
They already steal the people's money through taxes.

SaintALia

Only two years? He’s lucky it wasn’t a Nintendo game.
Well Nintendo does make visual novel games.

And that's the key thing here, the fact that it's a visual novel that he uploaded and posted the ending to:

'As Japan Today explains, non-monetized gameplay videos from Japanese YouTube accounts are commonplace and so far have yet to be subject to legal action, but Steins;Gate rights holder Kadokawa felt this case warranted charges because it's related to a visual novel, designed to be watched without interaction from the player. In theory, that would make any YouTube upload, particularly one containing the ending to the story, a "far more viable substitute" to actually buying the game. '

And people keep forgetting......

'Yoshida has since said that he "knew it was illegal, even as I was doing it," and Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Promotion Organization (CODA) said in a separate statement that, "in principle," any use of gameplay videos should require permission from the rights holder.'

It's fucked and I'd say we need the courts around various countries to sort out the somewhat grey area we're in, but knowing courts and corporations, players/content makers would get fucked even more if that were to happen.

But yea, I always figured posting VN's, full gameplay walkthroughs of those 'cinematic experience'/walking simulator games with paper thin gameplay would be eating into those title's sales. I just didn't think anyone would be taken to court over it because of potential backlash.

Whitecrow

Banned
The man must have said that Kurisu was shit compared to Mayuri, and the judge, with a Kurisu pillow in hand, needed to address him correctly and bring justice.

Idk, trying to take it with humour, it's been hard to cope with the world lately.

Top Bottom