• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Devs Talk Revolution Controller

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Actually I had pretty good idea for something like Street Fighter Third Strike using the Wand inside of the "Shell" device. It would completely and effectively do away with "double-tap" motions. Imagine only having to tilt the controler ever so comfortably to dash foward, jump backwards or high jump in a 2D fighter. You completely free up your thumbs so you can accomplish moves that were previously impossible due to having to input d-pad commands like a running fireball or a retreating dragon-punch. You give your character way more intuitive functionality than previously possible while simultaneously simplifying uneccessary button commands.

I see advances like these as such no-brainers that I totally expect some developers not to use it like this. Now imagine using the gyro functions in something like Viewtiful Joe where you actually get to not only slow down and speed up time but you can control the actual speed at which you use these functions without tapping a single button. The possiblities are fucking endless especially using the shell configuration for enhancing the way you play classical genres. One would have to be brain dead to not see the advantages.

Chrono

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Here's my idea for a Splinter Cell game:
The main gameplay requires you to hold the controller sideways. Imagine holding a flat, square pan of water. The slower you tip the pan forward the closer the water gets to the edge and thus the slower Sam Fisher would walk. Tip it all the way forward and the water would pour out and Sam would run at full speed.

You do know this could be done with an analog stick right?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shaheed79 said:
Actually I had pretty good idea for something like Street Fighter Third Strike using the Wand inside of the "Shell" device. It would completely and effectively do away with "double-tap" motions. Imagine only having to tilt the controler ever so comfortably to dash foward, jump backwards or high jump in a 2D fighter. You completely free up your thumbs so you can accomplish moves that were previously impossible due to having to input d-pad commands like a running fireball or a retreating dragon-punch. You give your character way more intuitive functionality than previously possible while simultaneously simplifying uneccessary button commands.

I see advances like these as such no-brainers that I totally expect some developers not to use it like this. Now imagine using the gyro functions in something like Viewtiful Joe where you actually get to not only slow down and speed up time but you can control the actual speed at which you use these functions without tapping a single button. The possiblities are fucking endless especially using the shell configuration for enhancing the way you play classical genres. One would have to be brain dead to not see the advantages.
I think those are great ideas. The problem is that both of these games are 2D. Obviously you wouldn't pull this stuff off with the nunchaku connected, so my delima is once again 3D camera control without any attachments. On the plus side, I hope Rev gives 2D the comeback power it deserves. There's some games that have been transfered to 3D that still don't hold a candle to their 2D counterparts. The pointer is simple and seems to me to take the most advantage of a 2D perspective when using the pointer alone. Rev may very well end up reviving 2D.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MadOdorMachine said:
Well then enlighten me. Seriously, how do you imagine it will work? These are just ideas.

Edit - Sorry Johnny, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Either way, I'd love to hear your input.

Your ideas aren't bad just unintuitive. The nunchuck combo would be perfect for any behind the back camera view style game like splinter cell. It would work virtually the same way an FPS would except just add an extra function for controlling the camera real-time when looking around corners with your back to the wall.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Chrono said:
You do know this could be done with an analog stick right?
Yes. That's exactly my point. Aside from shooters, what benefit does the new controller, without any attachments, add to 3D gameplay? A traditional style shell seems to be the best of both worlds for 3D imo. I hope Nintendo includes one with Revolution in addition to the nunchuck add on.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MadOdorMachine said:
I think those are great ideas. The problem is that both of these games are 2D. Obviously you wouldn't pull this stuff off with the nunchaku connected, so my delima is once again 3D camera control without any attachments. On the plus side, I hope Rev gives 2D the comeback power it deserves. There's some games that have been transfered to 3D that still don't hold a candle to their 2D counterparts. The pointer is simple and seems to me to take the most advantage of a 2D perspective when using the pointer alone. Rev may very well end up reviving 2D.

I see, your trying to devise ways to use just the basic remote device. In that case you were going in the right direction but most people here are wondering how their favorite games that are dependent on complex control methods can be done effectively on the Rev controller. I think the nunchuk can do just about any 3D game if enough thought is put into it and I feel traditional 2D games like fighters should just use the shell for that added gyro functionality. But if a 2D game is designed for the ground up with the Rev controller in mind I think the possibilities are massive.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Shaheed79 said:
Your ideas aren't bad just unintuitive. The nunchuck combo would be perfect for any behind the back camera view style game like splinter cell. It would work virtually the same way an FPS would except just add an extra function for controlling the camera real-time when looking around corners with your back to the wall.
Yeah, I thought about that too, and is probable what will happen. I guess this seems to be Nintendo's answer to the problem, I'm just trying to see the logic in it. Nintendo is complaining about how confused people are when they see a controller with all of these buttons on them. Is it any less confusing to see the pointer with the nunchuck attached? It's more confusing to me and while the pointer adds functionality, all of attachments to the controller and to the tv and internet etc. seem to bee too much. It kind of defeats the purpose I think.

Mashing

yoopoo said:
Looking at the DS I don't think western developers are gonna do anything innovative for Rev.

How many innovative western developed DS games are there compared to Japanese games? Not many...

To be fair not many western developers care much about handheld development (all system included). Most handheld games I see are from Japanese developers.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mashing said:
To be fair not many western developers care much about handheld development (all system included). Most handheld games I see are from Japanese developers.
PSP disagrees with you.

Mashing

How many western games are developed on handhelds that are not ports? I really don't count ports as 99% of the time they are just quick money grabs.

Monk

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
PSP disagrees with you.

[EA spokesperson]Agreed, making unique games is just plain HARD[/EA spokesperson]

Honestly, outside of the few Japanese, devs who have really been that creative with their games?

If there is one western dev that actually innovates most of the time, it has to be Blizzard, but they dont seem to give a shit about console gaming. :(

Ceb

Rev is going to see great developer support. But guess what, the same goes for the 360 and PS3. If you think (for example) Suda 51's praise means that he's gonna stick with the Rev this gen and not make a PS3 game in the near future, you're wrong. And if you think Nintendo getting some actual support to speak of this time will be enough to massively turn the tides of the "console wars", you're wrong.

jarrod

Banned
phantomile co. said:
ports on Revolution are more than likely gonna be an attempt at making a quick buck. although i can definitely see cases where games controls are improved when being ported over.
Indeed. I expect Revolution to the best thing to happen to Ridge Racer's control interface since the NeGcon. ;)

Top Bottom