• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is closing all public schools until April due to Coronavirus

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Japan usually starts a new school year in April, so they'd normally have some time off for their small spring break, but this is much longer and an unexpected.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/27/national/hokkaido-coronavirus-school/

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday asked all elementary, junior high and high schools nationwide to close from Monday through the students’ spring break, which typically ends in early April.

“Efforts have been made to prevent the spread of infection among children in each region, and these one or two weeks will be an extremely critical period,” Abe told a meeting of key Cabinet ministers on the coronavirus outbreak crisis.

“The government attaches the top priority to the health and safety of children, among others,” he said.

Later Thursday, the health and welfare ministry said Abe’s request does not apply to day care centers for children and after-school facilities for elementary school students.

Abe’s surprise announcement came as the number of confirmed COVID-19 virus patients kept surging, exceeding 200 across Japan as of Thursday evening, excluding the more than 700 infected patients related to the virus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship.

thats crazy - also, granted many families live with elders who can watch the kids, how will this affect the parents who now have to find daycare for them? im not familiar with Japans daycare culture/PTO for parents. will this be disruptive or easily managed?

When Asians don’t go to school u know it’s serious

I know right. You can't become a Dr. sitting at home. (It seems like almost every Asian family I've met pushes their child towards being a doctor. You'd think we'd have too many doctors sooner or later. :p)

xrnzaaas

This is a good step to slow down the spread. Btw I realize that culture Japan is different, but in my country the easiest way to get sick is from your kids as many parents don't give a crap and they send sick kids to kindergarten / school anyway.

Last edited:

Quasicat

That sucks if they have to make all of that time off up. We only get 8 calamity days a year and we’re almost out. If they canceled school for a month, we would be going until sometime in July.

Last edited:
Learn Japanese, like REALLY learn it. Then move there and apply to be a English teacher (high demand for English there). Kill two birds with one stone. You got a job and you live in Japan 😄

That’s my dream right there.

Elektro, I was just curious. No real reason. Don’t worry, I’m not going to SWAT you.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
A virus/ sickness can spread easily in a school setting, especially considering how contagious the virus is so their fears are not unfounded.

Yes, but just closing the schools and not the offices and especially public transportation systems, isn't exactly going to stop the spread.

Yes, but just closing the schools and not the offices and especially public transportation systems, isn't exactly going to stop the spread.
It’s not about stopping the spread it’s about slowing it down and removing the most vulnerable from the equation. They are not at the point yet where all civil functions need to be stopped

Shouta

That sucks if they have to make all of that time off up. We only get 8 calamity days a year and we’re almost out. If they canceled school for a month, we would be going until sometime in July.

They should have like 2 weeks or so off until the new school year starts anyway so this is just extending it about 2 weeks and its the end of the school for most.

Kids have been practicing hard to send off the graduating classes and tests are finished. Kids will miss the chance to say goodbye properly and to get closure. Academically the students lose very little by closing the school this week but they will lose out on a big event.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Bro just stop everything everywhere for 3 months!

Japanese children be like...

giphy.gif

Top Bottom