• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope (1997) is an amazing R&B trip-hop album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

I never knew Janet Jackson made this music. I'm kind of obsessed with this album right now and I wanted to share it.

It's not a full-blown trip-hop album but it can be heard infused throughout. It does have a few "typical" Janet Jackson hits on it as well as some funk and dance mixed in but even those tracks are more subdued and down-tempo than I personally expect from her.

It's mellow, deep, artistic, personal, and yet it is still chill-as-fuck.

9pNnqyz.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Velvet_Rope
Upon experiencing an emotional breakdown, Jackson began facing a long-term case of depression, steaming from childhood and adolescent traumas, including body dysmorphia, anorexia and self-harm. She in turn developed her new record as a concept album, using introspection as its theme. Its title is a metaphor for emotional boundaries, as well as an allusion to an individual's need to feel special. Its lyrics address subject matter such as depression, self-worth, social networking, homophobia and domestic violence. It also encompasses themes of sexuality, including BDSM, masturbation, sexual orientation and same-sex relationships. Due to its sexually explicit content, the album reinforced Jackson's public image as a sex symbol and as one of the most erotic vocalists of the 1990s. Its incorporation of social issues regarding sexual orientation and combating homophobia also established her reputation as a gay icon and received a GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/pnhf/
Mature and experimental... Possibly the great lost 90s trip-hop album, in parts.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/nov/20/entertainment/ca-55636
Addresses the social, emotional and sexual politics of relationships, peppering the wistful, spirited pop melodies and sinuous R&B rhythms with compelling jazz, folk and techno nuances.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/janet-jackson-the-velvet-rope
The Velvet Rope is a richly dark masterwork

Spotify album link

Some tracks on YouTube:
Velvet Rope
Got 'Til It's Gone (Feat. Q-Tip And Joni Mtchell)
Rope Burn (nsfw)

Janet Jackson had several classic albums. It's crazy how she's damn near forgotten when people discuss the HUGE Pop Star singers of the 90's. She's rarely brought up and she was HUGE and had a good run.

Joe

Janet Jackson had several classic albums. It's crazy how she's damn near forgotten when people discuss the HUGE Pop Star singers of the 90's. She's rarely brought up and she was HUGE and had a good run.

Came across this while reading about the album:
"I Get Lonely" reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100. It set a record as her eighteenth consecutive top ten hit on the Hot 100, surpassed only by Elvis Presley and The Beatles.

Dynomutt

Great album. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis did good work on that album. I remember the video for Got Til' It's Gone with Q-Tip was well done.

Oh yes it is. Absolutely amazing it puts me in the fucking zone some days and I be zen as fuck. Love all of Janets stuff though. She perfected that feel on this album.

Meowster

Janet Jackson's string of hit albums from Control to Rhythm Nation 1814 to Janet. to the Velvet Rope are some of the best of all time (and, imho, even better than her brother's). She has such an amazing collection of music that is shamefully overlooked after her Super Bowl incident. One of my favorite artists ever.

The title track has popped into my head every few weeks for well over a decade at this point, it's crazy. One of those absurd ear worms that won't let go.

Incredibly underrated album.

Malakai

The song "Empty" is so relevant to this day. Love "What About", "My Need", "You", "Free Xone" but that album is not radio friendly at all when I think about.

Afrikan

I still remember the "Go Deep" music video as if it were yesterday. *sigh* good times.

But yeah as soon as Velvet Rope comes on... you knew you were in for a treat. Thank You Janet for some great songs to make me feel oh so good.

Joe

The song "Empty" is so relevant to this day. Love "What About", "My Need", "You", "Free Xone" but that album is not radio friendly at all when I think about.
There's an interlude track where she's having phone sex with another woman. It's crazy (in a good way).

When your brother is Michael Jackson and regarded as the King of pop it's easy to see why.

zero_suit

Janet Jackson's string of hit albums from Control to Rhythm Nation 1814 to Janet. to the Velvet Rope are some of the best of all time (and, imho, even better than her brother's). She has such an amazing collection of music that is shamefully overlooked after her Super Bowl incident. One of my favorite artists ever.

It's a shame. Her most recent album, Unbreakable, is very good too.

highrider

Banned
For someone that really didn't have much vocal talent she really put out an amazing range of quality music. She'll always be one of my favorite performers and she had tremendous charm and appeal as a person as well. And I still don't forgive you JT.

zero_suit

For someone that really didn't have much vocal talent she really put out an amazing range of quality music. She'll always be one of my favorite performers and she had tremendous charm and appeal as a person as well. And I still don't forgive you JT.

Agreed, the definition of cowardice.

Go Deep, Got til it's gone, and especially I Get Lonely are all amazing tracks from this album

I definitely agree with the title, it's an amazing album.

Amazing album that I played on repeat all those years back. It's not trip-hop at all, really, if I can be pedantic for a second (because I also love trip-hop), but it's still fantastic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ahhh...I love this album. I listened to it so much in my teens.

I still remember all the little interludes. The modem dial-up sounds :D 'How empty of me, to be so full of you...'

I really loved the last song. Or I think it was the last song. The empowerment anthem ... 'You must remember that, you were born of blood of kings and queens...' As a little gay boy growing up, this stuff was life-bringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom