• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Fonda & Lily Tomlin to Star in Netflix Comedy Series From ‘Friends’ Creator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Former Nine To Five co-stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are reuniting on screen in Grace And Frankie, Netflix‘s next original series. The streaming service has given a 13-episode order to the half-hour comedy, created by Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman and Howard J. Morris (Sullivan & Son) and executive produced by Paula Weinstein through Skydance Prods. Grace And Frankie stars good friends Fonda and Tomlin as long-time nemeses Grace (Fonda) and Frankie (Tomlin) who are facing the last chapter of their lives. When their husbands announce they are in love with each other and plan to get married, the women find their lives both turned upside down and to their dismay, permanently intertwined. Eventually, to their surprise, they find they have each other. Kauffman, Morris, Weinstein, Fonda and Tomlin executive produce with Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross. “Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are among the funniest and most formidable actresses ever and it’s an incredible privilege to give them the opportunity to run riot on Netflix,” said Ted Sarandos, Netflix Chief Content Officer. “The show created for them by Marta and Howard is warm, very funny and anything but wholesome. We can’t wait.”

Besides Fonda and Tomlin, Grace And Frankie reunites Kauffman with Morris, who got his first writing job on HBO’s Dream On, which Kauffman co-created, and Weinstein and Fonda, who worked together on the upcoming feature This Is Where I leave You.

Netflix, which is billing itself as Internet television network, has been rapidly expanding its original series portfolio which now includes five upcoming series, new dramas Sense8, untitled Todd A. Kessler/ Daniel Zelman/Glenn Kessler and Marco Polo, comedy Grace And Frankie as well as a final season of The Killing. They join returning series House Of Cards, Hemlock Grove and Orange Is The New Black. Netflix also is in talks for more Arrested Development.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/jane-fonda-lily-tomlin-netflix-comedy-series-friends-marta-kauffman-paula-weinstein-skydance/

This is Netflix's 13th original series order.

maxcriden

Shades of the premise of Friends, with Ross's wife leaving him for another woman. Kauffman and Morris must really like that twist.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This sounds terrible. Lily Tomlin & Jane Fonda? Why not add Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler and make it the Unbearable Women Show? Was Bette Midler not available so they can remake Big Business?

What the fuck Lily Tomlin is god tier. Leave her out of your quips

ivysaur12

Banned
This sounds terrible. Lily Tomlin & Jane Fonda? Why not add Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler and make it the Unbearable Women Show? Was Bette Midler not available so they can remake Big Business?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYzZhu11eM

tumblr_l8t5buLiJ31qdtfdbo1_400.gif

I can agree with everyone in your rant EXCEPT Lily Tomlin.

Seriously did I miss something Lily Tomlin was good in? I grew up being forced to watch Laugh-In reruns that was nothing more than a hippy version of Hee-Haw.

Looking at her IMDB page. I guess younger people grew up with her on the Magic School Bus? Is that it? Did I just insult the Millennial Mr. Rogers?

NH Apache

Banned
Seriously did I miss something Lily Tomlin was good in? I grew up being forced to watch Laugh-In reruns that was nothing more than a hippy version of Hee-Haw.

Looking at her IMDB page. I guess younger people grew up with her on the Magic School Bus? Is that it? Did I just insult the Millennial Mr. Rogers?

Murphy Brown, west wing, various movies...

More importantly, why the hate? Also, TIL, magic schoolbus? Mindblown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom