• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

it's official: tweets will be sunk to the bottom unless author pays subscription

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
59bd9b2d96e9b6eb70bdfa6291c6f32e4b185311.gif
I'm with Omega on this one. "Elongated Muskrat" sounds like a toothless nickname-by-committee that A group makes up in hopes it goes viral. In short, seems very forced. See: the Donald "Ducks" his taxes campaign from back in 2016

SJRB

Gold Member
Elon is going hard to root out the bots.

That said, I scroll through my twitter feed like twice a day tops, and 95% of it random vapid garbage. It would make zero difference to me if I see it or not.

A lot of people vastly overestimate their significance on the platform. "Oh no, if I'm not verified my post about how frustrating it is to wait in line at the supermarket will end up at the bottom!", yeah nobody cares.

Mistake

Great idea. People can still use Twitter for free but verified users get a boost.

Sounds great to me and will help combat bots and spam. What's the problem?
That’s how I understand it too. I thought blue checks got priority in the first place currently, so basically, nothing will change besides the $8? I saw tweets from them all the time, even though I wasn’t subbed. I think Elon wants to give perks to people who actually want it, thereby leveling the playing field to any type of content creator. And it’s not that normal people won’t be seen at all, just in a different category or something.

No real sense in speculating until stuff actually get implemented, but even then, there will be some trial and error involved

winjer

Gold Member
So Twitter is now pay-to-win.
This just keeps getting worse and worse by the day. It's like watching the Titanic sink in slow motion, and it's the captain making the holes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
From what I read about this and heard in an interview it's there to encourage this BS and verify monthly subscribers will get priority. Now my independent thinking mine likes that so I don't know whether to follow others opinions on this and I don't like reading lots of bots/trolls myself

So if that is what an accomplishes then I commend it more than criticize it..

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I mean..... i'm not a billionaire and don't know shit about running a successful business

Neither does he...all his ventures are up to their eyeballs in debt.

Guy is huckster who hyped his way into investors cash, who now can't back out because they'll lose billions.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't really use twitter but it seems like this wouldn't change it at all. Corporations/celebs can easily pay the $8 so their stuff can be seen, "rando" users and their buddies probably have a friend circle or something so you will still see their stuff, all this really seems to do is make bots brutally expensive to field in mass to flood the space with crap.

He is forcing an account to have a single primary user and making it hard (expensive at least) for one user to have multiple accounts.

Moneal

So Twitter is now pay-to-win.
This just keeps getting worse and worse by the day. It's like watching the Titanic sink in slow motion, and it's the captain making the holes.
Better p2w than get picked to win. The current verification system is trash, and is still used to boost Tweet visibility currently.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't see the issue to be honest. If you want to have an advantage in broadcasting your opinion why shouldn't you pay for the privilege?

What this discussion shows me is that existing blue checkmarks believe they are inherently "special" and if you aren't designated as such, your viewpoint is inferior and actually isn't worth shit in the grand scheme of things.

The way its couched as not having a blue-check disadvantages a person just shows how utterly fucked the mentality is. Essentially being "normal" -as in a regular rank and file user- is the worst thing imaginable for these cunts.

I think its brilliant to be honest. Elon is LITERALLY checking their privilege!

Porcile

If you weren't popular or weren't purposefully gaming it then it already felt like the algorithm was fucking you over. Garbage platform turns into a bigger garbage platform.

BeardGawd

Banned
I think Musk knows full well that hundreds of thousands of bots are being run by major groups, corporations and political parties. This has been essentially free advertising for them. This forces them to pay a hefty price for this advertising now. BRAVO. Should have been $20 a month.

Is anybody actually surprised he'd pull a stunt like this? Elon dropped 40 billion on the damn thing and now he wants his money back. It was a bad investment and purchase in my humble opinion.

I've been suckered by misleading articles, information and sources. Accounts that look like the official one is the worst, glad it is hopefully ending.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Elon really needs a "comedy" account seperate from whatever he may say as a person running/owning multiple large companies. I get it, what's the point of all those billions if you can shit post at time or two, but he really ought to divide work from pleasure a bit more.

not sure if you're being serious but the answer is adverts and collecting/selling data of users.

facebook on the surface might look like a social media platform but it's gathering information on literally everyone and that includes people who never signed up to facebook. what they do is create a "shadow profile" so if you never joined facebook they most likely still have a profile for you. if you've ever gave someone your data (phone number, email, address, etc) and they are on facebook and sync their contacts then your data is on facebooks servers. they take that data and match it with existing users or start building a profile on you. for example, i don't use facebook anymore but people at my work do. person A has my name/number. person B has my name/number. person C. person D. facebook will have a profile with name and phone number. if i were ever to sign up then they'd be like well that phone number matches so we'll recommend you friend person A/B/C/D. they actually have a tool where you can put in your email/phone number to check if they have it and you can mark it not to be used. it's a bit fucking stupid because they still have your info. it's just goes onto a "not allowed to use" list.

think of all the shit people post on facebook and then know that facebook will track you across the internet through their "Pixel" tracker. if you've ever seen a FB icon, "log in with facebook", or looked an embedded photo/share link on a website then facebook knows you visited that site.

and that's just facebook. instagram is more of the same and whatsapp too.

all that data is collected to build adverts to show you and your data is valuable so it makes them $.

google/facebook/amazon are probably the worst when it comes to tracking you. twitter hardly compares in scale to what those 3 gather on you.
I'm being serious, but not for malicious reasons. I know nothing about Meta's monetization of their services and apps. I just know that everyone always talks about how Twitter has never been good at making money. I've heard that for years now. I'm wondering if there's anything they could do within Twitter to be more effective at earning ad revenue, vs charging people a subscription. If they go down the path of charging people, Twitter as we know it will cease to exist. Honestly, that isn't a bad thing. Social media in general has proven to be a net negative and literally harmful to society, in ways we are still finding out as we go. But, if they want to make money and not impact the user experience, they could just double-down on ad revenue and find other ways to trim expenses. A subscription model will not work, at least for 99% of the users.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

So someone can literally pay and then post fake news. Brilliant move lol

Ive been using twitter for 14 years and i wont pay anything. i mainly use it to get news anyway

So someone can literally pay and then post fake news. Brilliant move lol

Ive been using twitter for 14 years and i wont pay anything. i mainly use it to get news anyway
Well people do that anyway, though. On FB and Twitter. Just look at the damage caused by the widespread circulation of election conspiracies about fraud. People still talk about it like it happened.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So tweets are based on payers and not chronological?

So one guys tweets with a free account right now, but a payer replied yesterday, the $8 payer tweet will show up before the more recent free profiler's tweet?

I'm being serious, but not for malicious reasons. I know nothing about Meta's monetization of their services and apps. I just know that everyone always talks about how Twitter has never been good at making money. I've heard that for years now. I'm wondering if there's anything they could do within Twitter to be more effective at earning ad revenue, vs charging people a subscription. If they go down the path of charging people, Twitter as we know it will cease to exist. Honestly, that isn't a bad thing. Social media in general has proven to be a net negative and literally harmful to society, in ways we are still finding out as we go. But, if they want to make money and not impact the user experience, they could just double-down on ad revenue and find other ways to trim expenses. A subscription model will not work, at least for 99% of the users.
99% of the users are not genuine content producers though, and don't need to be verified. So nothing changes for them.

The branding of this is weird because there is so much historical baggage to the blue checkmark, but this kind of just means a blue checkmark is a business account. If you produce content, if you are a notable person (who would then inherently produce content), you would want to buy a blue checkmark. If you don't you don't even need a blue checkmark because all you do is read other tweets and shitpost a little. You aren't the target audience. Sure you can get a blue checkmark anyway, but that is like buying a business account to Sam's Club for your family. I guess technically it is beneficial, but why bother?

The problem is the people at Twitter were incompetent's and could never figure out a business model, so the blue checkmark thing ended up being this weird gatekeeping tool that for some reason was free even though these people made more money off of Twitter than Twitter made themselves. Not saying Elon will ever figure out a way to make it profitable, but at least he is trying something different.

So tweets are based on payers and not chronological?

So one guys tweets with a free account right now, but a payer replied yesterday, the $8 payer tweet will show up before the more recent free profiler's tweet?
I wonder about that, because Elon himself has made Twitter posts saying the timeline algorithm is trash and use the chronological timeline option. My guess is that it applies to replies, but replies already are subject to a shit algo (so nothing will really change), and on top of that if more than 20 people comment on a Tweet your reply isn't getting read ever, under any circumstance or ownership of Twitter, anyway.

Last edited:
I mean..... i'm not a billionaire and don't know shit about running a successful business but it seems to me that adding this charge is going to kill off a huge percentage of users from the platform.

Twitter is the virtual town square, you go to the town square to chat and debate, would you pay $8 a month to have entry into that town square? I wouldn't.

Hey man don’t downplay yourself.

Elon has fucked up a ton since he took over. You wouldn’t make the same mistakes he would. Only an liar who doesn’t understand repercussions would.

At this point his strategy is to stop relying on advertisers by making money on twitter any way possible. The problem here is that he can’t, but will still try to change to a vine and only fans type of entertainment models.

Last edited:
Top Bottom