• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 17 years since Ridge Racer 7, where is 8 Namco?

JPSLotus97T

I'm a huge Ridge Racer fan dating back to the PS1 days.

Played all the handheld versions as well.

Ridge Racer 8 was rumored to be a Switch title that got axed. But given one of the backwards compatible Series X games is Ridge Racer 6, I can't understand why Namco hasn't had a mainline entry into the series since 7. It's such an awesome racer that I miss dearly. Are we going to be waiting forever?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Probably. Arcade racers aren't what they used to be. I think Namco used Ridge Racer as a way to write an engine for a new platform and get some experience (PS2, PS3, 360, PSP all launch or close to launch games), but I guess they don't need to do that anymore.

I wonder if there’s still some contractual obligation with Nintendo in regards to Ridge Racer 8. They may have just shelved it until the Switch successor is announced.

Stuart360

Love Ridge Racer, and loved Ridge Racer 6 and 7 on 360 and PS3. In fact RR6 would easly be in the top 10 for most play time on 360 for me.

Problem is that arcade racers seemd to die, while the more realistic and sim like racers like GT and Forza rose up.

I prsonally think there is room for both sim and arcade racers, but devs seem to think otherwise.

If you're on PC, you can still get Indie arcade racers by the dozen on Steam, but AAA arcade racers died a while ago unfortunately.

Banned
Switch 2 launch title. MARK MY WORDS
Holding Star Wars GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It died on stage at E3 when it was introduced as RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDge Raceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

saintjules

If there's an 8 I hope they go back to something like Type 4. It had everything that I wanted in a racer. Story and GREAT Music.

Ridge Racer was lagging in sales since 4. Outside of mobile there's no audience for it. It isn't just an arcade racer issue, Ridge Racer was an early 3D novelty series that sold the most on PS1 and even then was not able to keep sales high with their oddly named sequels. It was a product of the time.

Namco sees no money in it, if they make a new one I'm very sure it's going to be a phone app.

Top Bottom