• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Yakuza 0 the weirdest game ever made? No Story Spoilers untagged please

Corrik

I am currently playing Yakuza 0, and it is legitly one of the weirdest games I have ever played. From wank off rooms to dudes who walk around humping the air asking you for deets on Dem hott bitches around town to a guy stealing dudes pants.

Is this game the weirdest game ever made? Are the rest of the Yakuza games this wild? I am only on chapter 7.

Gamepass.

Miles708

From the Yakuza games I played 0 is the weirdest.
I agree, the 80's settings fits wery well the added weirdeness of an already weird series.
I skipped Yakuza 5 though, so I can't speak for that chapter.

Last edited:

munancho

Banned
I don't think I've ever played a game with quite so much charisma. Its literally oozing out of virtually everything at every time as there is so much attention been lavished on the world, the characters, stories and plot.

You can slide into it and then end up doing a 101 other things on the way to where you were going and not miss a beat. Crazy to think what Shenmue might've been as it could've easily evolved in similar ways to become an MMO like GTA did had Yu not chose to turn his particular brand of crazy upto 11 and nearly kill Sega in the process.

Do the hustle!

Lrnex

Yakuza series on a whole is one of the things pushing me to pick up a PS4 at some point. Those games just look rock solid (and the Fist of the North Star one too)

Last edited:
I am currently playing Yakuza 0, and it is legitly one of the weirdest games I have ever played. From wank off rooms to dudes who walk around humping the air asking you for deets on Dem hott bitches around town to a guy stealing dudes pants.

Is this game the weirdest game ever made? Are the rest of the Yakuza games this wild? I am only on chapter 7.

Gamepass.
what you describe is Japan. LOL

The ridiculous is mostly confined to the side stories. If you play only the main game you have a damn good serious yakuza drama

Then again where is the fun on that? Yakuza is known for its mixture of crime action stories with the most outrageous shit posible.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's just who Yazkua is, it's a certain style, to me it's an old school brawlin' game.

GymWolf

it's also one of the best game ever made.

i really don't see all the weirdness tbh
CD8D497584FFAF252605C389B04233C5AD2A097B

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I Think Yakuza 0 is such a game for someone who never played any yakuza games, that all other yakuza games are kinda pointless afterwards heh

Corrik

I never played any of the others. At times I feel the game is a chore and get tired and don't wanna play anymore. Other times I am into it. I think the endless sidequests bore me at time. I am someone who wants to do everything and it drags me. I'm at like 33 hours in chapter 7.

Yakuza 0 was my entry into the series. It's a terrific game, albeit weird as you stated. Sega doesn't take itself too seriously and that's what makes the games so charming.

Unfortunately, I did not like Yakuza 3 and 4 (I can't even bring myself to finish this one). The rest are very good.

Doom85

The Katamari games to me are easily the weirdest non-indie games I've ever played. Like, Yakuza is weird, but at least I understand the madness. Katamari is a full-on acid trip.

GymWolf

Why would anyone be in that group? They literally designed Kiwami to be played after 0. There are direct references to 0 in it lol
i know some deranged people from my old italian forum who thought in that way my dude.
i don't know if someone in here can share the sentiment.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

i know some deranged people from my old italian forum who thought in that way my dude.
i don't know if someone in here can share the sentiment.
From my understanding it had to do with the gameplay or something. Because Kiwami 1 is "underwhelming" and you will be disappointed if you play it right after 0.

GymWolf

From my understanding it had to do with the gameplay or something. Because Kiwami 1 is "underwhelming" and you will be disappointed if you play it right after 0.
no it was about the narrative "you have to play in order of release date" because Y0 was not in the mind of the developers when yakuza 1 was made.
even if kiwami 1 was technically released after 0 😆

like i said, deranged people.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I never got around to them on ps2. I just picked up yakuza kiwami 1. I finished 1 a couple weeks and I liked it a lot. I got 0 and 2 also. Guess I'll play 2, then play the others and then 6 since I think it's a prequel meant to be played after 6.

Majima instantly became one of my favorite characters in a video game. He always made me laugh.

Yakuza series on a whole is one of the things pushing me to pick up a PS4 at some point. Those games just look rock solid (and the Fist of the North Star one too)

Well from what I saw of kiwami 1 the job they did on them is great. Its rough around the edges but definitely looks nice and plays really nice. I loved the serious and well told story, but the shitball nuts of it was great also. I also loved how it's open world with a ton of stuff to do both side stories and of time wasters but it's still perfectly compact in size that it doesn't get old or seem like too much of a chore to get around.

I highly recommend it. Course ps4 has a lot of other great exclusive games as well that are unique.

GametimeUK

I am currently playing through it for the first time right now too. I'm up to around chapter 14 or 15.

Throughout the years I have soured on Japanese games and culture. It does absolutely nothing for me. I find it cringe inducing. However, Yakuza 0 is absolutely blowing my socks off. I'm so invested in the story. I have no idea how a game can be so balls to the walls ridiculous and side splitting funny whilst also being able to switch the tone to gripping and intense. The twists and turns keep coming, I'm on the edge of my seat. I love it.

In an age where everyone is so politically correct, it is refreshing to see a game that doesn't mind including subject matter that is frowned upon.

Tahj

I've been considering playing these, but not sure which, as there's been remasters, bundles, prequels(?) - is there a short & sweet recommendation list anywhere, I'd appreciate it.

Miles708

I've been considering playing these, but not sure which, as there's been remasters, bundles, prequels(?) - is there a short & sweet recommendation list anywhere, I'd appreciate it.

All major chapters are on PS4 so it makes it easier. This is the order:
  • Yakuza 0 (prequel to the entire series and excellent starting point)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 1 (the remake of the very first game, originally on PS2)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 (remake of the second game, originally on PS2 too)
  • Yakuza Remastered Collection: includes Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5, in 1080p/60fps (originally they were on PS3)
  • Yakuza 6, new and final chapter with the original protagonist.
If they look like a lot of games to get into, it's because they are :messenger_grinning_smiling:
All of them are worthy, BUT my suggestion is to absolutely play Yakuza 0 (the best with the "old" game engine) and Yakuza 6 (the best in the series and sporting an all-new engine).
Fact is, to appreciate and care about story/characters in Yakuza 6, you need to also play at least Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 4. I'd say 3 and 5 can be ignored if you want.

The "absolutely minimum" run for the series could be 0, kiwami, kiwami 2, at least watch cutscenes of Yakuza 4, and then Yakuza 6.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2
Then you got the remastered collection which contains 3,4 and 5
6 is available but not among the collection since its new

They’re all available on the PS4. Have fun!

munancho

Banned
I've really got to give Sega props for how they handled this IP and how well the PS4 runs all the titles as it was my first time trying it as the PS2 originals back then reminded me too painfully of what Shenmue could've been on the DC and plus the combat was clunky.

Shows that they have got the touch, should they wish to let it out as I can't think of many other companies lavishing so much attention and remaking older titles the way they did so they were all available on one platform. Thanks Sega!

GymWolf

yakuza 0
kiwami 1
kiwami 2
wait for the remasters of 3-4-5
y6
yakuza like a dragon

Last edited:
I had no idea what to expect when I tried yakuza 0 on gamepass for the first time ever. I thought it was some GTA type game with Yakuza theme, thought was going to be very serious although I knew it had funny mini games... and just wow, I was blown away by how great it was. It balanced fun stupidity and serious story action together perfectly. Cant wait for Kiwami 1

Mista

Banned
I had no idea what to expect when I tried yakuza 0 on gamepass for the first time ever. I thought it was some GTA type game with Yakuza theme, thought was going to be very serious although I knew it had funny mini games... and just wow, I was blown away by how great it was. It balanced fun stupidity and serious story action together perfectly. Cant wait for Kiwami 1
I don’t want you to go in and get shocked so I’ll hit you with it right now

Kiwami 1 is boring as fuck. So go in with low expectations especially after the great Zero

Tahj

All major chapters are on PS4 so it makes it easier. This is the order:
  • Yakuza 0 (prequel to the entire series and excellent starting point)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 1 (the remake of the very first game, originally on PS2)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 (remake of the second game, originally on PS2 too)
  • Yakuza Remastered Collection: includes Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5, in 1080p/60fps (originally they were on PS3)
  • Yakuza 6, new and final chapter with the original protagonist.
If they look like a lot of games to get into, it's because they are :messenger_grinning_smiling:
All of them are worthy, BUT my suggestion is to absolutely play Yakuza 0 (the best with the "old" game engine) and Yakuza 6 (the best in the series and sporting an all-new engine).
Fact is, to appreciate and care about story/characters in Yakuza 6, you need to also play at least Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 4. I'd say 3 and 5 can be ignored if you want.

The "absolutely minimum" run for the series could be 0, kiwami, kiwami 2, at least watch cutscenes of Yakuza 4, and then Yakuza 6.

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2
Then you got the remastered collection which contains 3,4 and 5
6 is available but not among the collection since its new

They’re all available on the PS4. Have fun!

yakuza 0
kiwami 1
kiwami 2
wait for the remasters of 3-4-5
y6
yakuza like a dragon

Thanks all, I am looking forward to diving in!

Tahj

Just thought I'd pop back in & say I started Yakuza 0 tonight. Unfortunately, only got abt an hour playtime in, as I gotta be up early, but so far, I'm liking it!

Corrik

I finished what I am gonna finish. Beat the game, all substories. But, zero chance I am doing the completion list fully. Way too many tedious minigame stuff. All abilities + all substories is good enough for me.

recma12

From the Yakuza games I played 0 is the weirdest.

Every Yakuza game I played so far had one or two extremely weird sub story.
But yes, Y0 arguably has the most weird ones and having Majima in there as a main makes the whole game weirder than usual.

Have you ever played Death Stranding?

Was gonna post this.

I finished what I am gonna finish. Beat the game, all substories. But, zero chance I am doing the completion list fully. Way too many tedious minigame stuff. All abilities + all substories is good enough for me.

Yeah good call. Getting 100% is a chore and you will get sick and tired of Kamurocho.

Just one word of advice: Don't play Yakuza games back2back. Play something different in between.
Unlike GTA, where they have Miami -> LA -> NYC -> LA and a couple of years between games, Yakuza is basically "Kiryu in Kamurocho" every time.

And all the PS4 games (0, the Kiwami's, 6, Judgement) have been released within the last few years, so there is no major technical difference (6, Kiwami 2,3,4,5 and Judgement were made with a new engine but it's not night/day ).
Chances are high that you will get burned out running around the same map with the same character and it will spoil your experience. Keep in mind, lot of the mini games, restaurants and stuff are recycled in new games.

Here is my advice, now that you completed 0.

1. play sth else before you jump back into Yakuza
2. skip Kiwami 1 (it's trash) and jump straight into Kiwami 2 (new engine, great game)
3. play sth else
4. unless you got all the time the world, skip the collection (3,4,5) and go straight to Y6
5. play sth else

Last edited:

Corrik

The weird part is...

The game pretty much retcons itself by the end. Like, you could argue the whole game was entirely pointless from a story perspective.

Top Bottom