• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this gaming laptop a good deal GAF?

I’m looking for a $800 range laptop with dedicated graphics and a backlit keyboard are the main two things, 16GB ram is high on the list with an SSD. I was looking at this configuration bumping the SSD up to 512GB. I plan to use it as a way to start learning how to program with unreal engine but I also wanna play games on it. Good deal or no?

TrainedRage

Banned

I’m looking for a $800 range laptop with dedicated graphics and a backlit keyboard are the main two things, 16GB ram is high on the list with an SSD. I was looking at this configuration bumping the SSD up to 512GB. I plan to use it as a way to start learning how to program with unreal engine but I also wanna play games on it. Good deal or no?
Seems good. I just worry about gaming laptops and heat issues. I had to invest in an exterior fan setup to keep mine from black screening.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yeah heat is an issue but I need the mobility, otherwise I’d just build a desktop.
Honestly what you posted should be more than enough, unless you plan on doing VR or very heavy GPU usage games. A big SSD and RAM are the most important I feel like, if you are doing daily use/programming and casual gaming. Its easy enough to go buy an external HD if you need more space as well. Invest in a nice wireless mouse keyboard setup if you are doing long programming sessions. Numberpads are HUGE if you plan on doing a lot of it.

I th
Honestly what you posted should be more than enough, unless you plan on doing VR or very heavy GPU usage games. A big SSD and RAM are the most important I feel like, if you are doing daily use/programming and casual gaming. Its easy enough to go buy an external HD if you need more space as well. Invest in a nice wireless mouse keyboard setup if you are doing long programming sessions. Numberpads are HUGE if you plan on doing a lot of it.
i thought about VR as I really enjoy the limited time I use my PSVR, and from what I know the PC VR market is wayyy better so I’m torn.

DESTROYA

I’ve never heard of EVOO but how do you feel dealwise about that once versus the MSI I posted? You still feel evoo is better bang for buck?
Yes. Truthfully I’m not a fan of either and if I was on a limited budget I would get this

$899 but you get a much better GPU and better screen

Review

Yes. Truthfully I’m not a fan of either and if I was on a limited budget I would get this

Review

This Def looks like something I’d buy and the fact it comes with 1.5tb of space sells me on it for the extra price

you rock thanks a bunch

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Been there and done that gaming laptop thing I think Alienware dell is the better brand what makes gaming laptops great is not needing a desk

Relativ9

It looks alright, but if your goal is gaming on the go (so not plugged in) I think you'll find this disappointing. My girlfriend has a Dell with similar specs and it chugs in even something like wow and league of legends when not plugged in.

It looks alright, but if your goal is gaming on the go (so not plugged in) I think you'll find this disappointing. My girlfriend has a Dell with similar specs and it chugs in even something like wow and league of legends when not plugged in.
I’ll always be plugged in when gaming, moreso I’m on the move a lot due to work so I need something I can bring with me so it pretty much has to be a laptop.

Romulus

Review

That was a good deal, I don't see anything close to that now, not with 16gb RAM and the 1660ti. I'm looking for a secondary VR platform.

Top Bottom