• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming / work laptop = need help

jorgejjvr

Hey all, so this is my current laptop =

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 9 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q - 1TB SSD - Moonlight White
Model:GA401IV-BR9N6SKU:6403816

I loved it. I am a new father, baby dropped water on it. Asus asking $1K for repair. Not happening.

What is the next greatest and latest on laptop? is there a new/better zephyrus, maybe with nvidia 3000 series, or is there also another laptop that now surpassess the g14?

Need to buy a new one. Thanks

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Getting repairs from the manufacturer is always a shit show.

Before writing it off, I'd try taking it into a local repair shop (if you have one nearby) and getting a second opinion. There are tons of horror stories online usually involving Apple where the manufacturer wants a crazy amount of money for something that's a $50 fix from the local mom & pop.

GHG

so you won't spend $1k for repairs, but you are willing to spend at least $2k for a new one??

hmm...

Not worth repairing a laptop when you can get a newer model with much better specs for not too much more. There's also no guarantee they will fix it properly either. Fixing a laptop is a completely different proposition to fixing a desktop.

Hey all, so this is my current laptop =

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 9 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q - 1TB SSD - Moonlight White
Model:GA401IV-BR9N6SKU:6403816

I loved it. I am a new father, baby dropped water on it. Asus asking $1K for repair. Not happening.

What is the next greatest and latest on laptop? is there a new/better zephyrus, maybe with nvidia 3000 series, or is there also another laptop that now surpassess the g14?

Need to buy a new one. Thanks

$1K for repairs? Is it outside of the warranty period? That's an egregious price to repair something that's only like $2K :S

Can't give any suggestions; maybe check this out for some ideas though.

jorgejjvr

$1K for repairs? Is it outside of the warranty period? That's an egregious price to repair something that's only like $2K :S

Can't give any suggestions; maybe check this out for some ideas though.
yes, outside of warranty period, bought the g14 when it came out in 2020

i really like it, i might just go with the newer g14 if its worth it

also, i have to put like a laptop cover or something on it, i learned my lesson the hard way, cant have this happen again

Not worth repairing a laptop when you can get a newer model with much better specs for not too much more. There's also no guarantee they will fix it properly either. Fixing a laptop is a completely different proposition to fixing a desktop.
the point is to minimize e-waste. I am not saying the $1k repair price is worth it but if the laptop can be fixed at a repair shop then why not? OP's laptop is only 2 years old. It's not that old.

GHG

the point is to minimize e-waste. I am not saying the $1k repair price is worth it but if the laptop can be fixed at a repair shop then why not? OP's laptop is only 2 years old. It's not that old.

Oh please.

He can give it away for free and someone else can fix it up (or use the parts that are still working) if you're concerned about "e-waste".

Mr Hyde

I'm using an Asus ZenBook 13 with Oled screen, 16 gb ram and 1TB SSD. It's light, fast and powerful. It's perfect for a hybrid setup with work/streaming/gaming. I travel a lot so it's a match made in heaven for me. The screen is nuts. The colors really pop on this thing.

jorgejjvr

Is this the new one equivalent to what I have?

hFVswys.png

Last edited:
yes, outside of warranty period, bought the g14 when it came out in 2020

i really like it, i might just go with the newer g14 if its worth it

also, i have to put like a laptop cover or something on it, i learned my lesson the hard way, cant have this happen again

Yeah I have an Asus too (2021 model, 2-in-1 convertible) that's supposedly military-grade durability, but I treat it like a newborn. In fact I wish there were a way to get under the keys to clean out the little bit of dust that's naturally accumulated through usage.

Still keep it in the box but aught to get a cover or laptop bag for it soon just in case. No babies or toddlers around to accidentally drop water on it though thankfully 😂.

Lenovo legions are pretty great.

Lenovos in general are great. Lenovo, Asus, and Dell are the main brands I ever really consider when it comes to OEM laptops/desktops/tablets etc. (generally hear good things about MSI though, and certainly things like HP Spectre 360 series...sadly have had a string of crappy experiences with (albeit budget-tier) HP laptops in the past).

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Yeah I have an Asus too (2021 model, 2-in-1 convertible) that's supposedly military-grade durability, but I treat it like a newborn. In fact I wish there were a way to get under the keys to clean out the little bit of dust that's naturally accumulated through usage.

Still keep it in the box but aught to get a cover or laptop bag for it soon just in case. No babies or toddlers around to accidentally drop water on it though thankfully 😂.

Lenovos in general are great. Lenovo, Asus, and Dell are the main brands I ever really consider when it comes to OEM laptops/desktops/tablets etc. (generally hear good things about MSI though, and certainly things like HP Spectre 360 series...sadly have had a string of crappy experiences with (albeit budget-tier) HP laptops in the past).
Can you help me confirm it if the above is the correct 2022 version?

Smether

Can you help me confirm it if the above is the correct 2022 version?
I wasn't able to figure it out using the ASUS site, but I think it is. It comes with Windows 11 standard and the specs seem to line up. In the Q&A section of the Best Buy page you posted someone else asked that and they said yes. ASUS is pretty solid for prebuilt stuff so I think you will be happy with that.

Blade 14 if you want more power in an even smaller/lighter package. It's more expensive and sales are less frequent so if you're not able to wait, maybe not a great option. Asus has better speakers and keyboard, if those things matter to you.

If you're willing to go to a thin n light 15/16 inch, the options open considerably. Jarrod Tech on YouTube is the go-to channel imo.

brian0057

Banned
I hate gaming laptops that look gamer. It's some of the ugliest looking tech wrought by the hands of man.
Give me grey box with just a logo any day.
The XPS line from Dell is my go-to.

Fbh

I hate gaming laptops that look gamer. It's some of the ugliest looking tech wrought by the hands of man.
Give me grey box with just a logo any day.
The XPS line from Dell is my go-to.

Thankfully that's less of an issue now.
Seems like in the last 3-4 years (so right after I got mine lol) manufacturers realized that there's more than edgy 13 years olds buying $1500+ gaming laptops. Advancements in tech has also allowed them to make them less bulky.

Lenovo for example has been good with their new design. Their legion Slim 7 pretty much just looks like a regular laptop:
lenovo-laptop-gaming-legion-slim-7-amd-ports.png

The razer blade looks pretty nice too and has really good build quality (it's really expensive though)
158791-laptops-review-razer-blade-14-review-image7-bdmxrnihng.jpg

Of course you still get stuff like RGB backlight but you can always just use white. And they still come with strong dedicated gaming GPU's so you won't get something quite as sllim and sleek as an XPS.

Top Bottom