• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Epic Game Store really going somewhere at this point?

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's been so many years, and the store has barely improved in features. Their free games are getting weaker. There are less exclusive games being bought. The Trello roadmap seems to be abandoned. They just had their EGS sale, but this time there was no cupon. I believe it's the first time this has happened. And they are still ignore by many big publishers, unless Epic is throwing tons of money at them.

I'm having a hard time sending how this store will evolve from here.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Didn't Tim recently reveal that the storefront was basically a huge money sink despite efforts growing it? I took one look at Epic store and noped out immediately. Feels completely redundant when Steam is around. But competition is good I guess 🤷

Last edited:
My hope is that it will at least be a premiere store for the chinese and korean games that refuse to come out on steam, as a way for people to avoid more individual launchers.

Unless I’m mistaken, Valorant is an example.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, Epic doesn't have as much Timbucks to roll into EGS as they used to, and they had to have come to the conclusion that this thing will always be a footnote compared to Steam or even MS Store. The dream is dead.

Didn't Tim recently reveal that the storefront was basically a huge money sink despite efforts growing it? I took one look at Epic store and noped out immediately. Feels completely redundant when Steam is around. But competition is good I guess 🤷
I would be surprised if Valve sees EGS as competition, especially now.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I think that if the Epic Games Store has proven anything, it's that the PC games market is completely impenetrable and nothing is going to lure consumers away from Steam.

Epic has been literally giving away a shitton of AAA games for free over the years, and it still hasn't gotten consumers to bite in any meaningful way.

What a complete waste of potential it’s been. Tim clearly has no idea what he is doing in this area. And I really wanted it to succeed to lower the fees for developers.

It’s good as an aggregate of F2P games not on Steam but that’s about it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think that if the Epic Games Store has proven anything, it's that the PC games market is completely impenetrable and nothing is going to lure consumers away from Steam.

Epic has been literally giving away a shitton of AAA games for free over the years, and it still hasn't gotten consumers to bite in any meaningful way.
I wouldn't say it's impenetrable, specially when places lile GOG or itch exist.

Imo it's just that Epic made a few BIG mistakes, like releasing a storefront that didn't even have the bare minimum functionalities (it didn't even have a shopping cart before an update) or moneyhating exclusives, which many people weren't a fan of.

hinch7

I have hundreds of games on there and bought maybe two games on that store. Think I'm part of the problem..

Because the store is still shit, and grabbing the weekly free game is all it's good for even five years later.

I own Nioh on both platforms. I can literally start Steam, launch the game and then quit out five times in the time it takes the EGS to load. A game absolutely has to be free in order for me to even consider playing it there.

winjer

Gold Member
My hope is that it will at least be a premiere store for the chinese and korean games that refuse to come out on steam, as a way for people to avoid more individual launchers.

Unless I’m mistaken, Valorant is an example.

Valorant has so much spyware, it's scary.
I would rather get a virus, than installing that game. Or rather, they are almost the same thing.

scraz

I'm sure They would love the EPIC store to turn a profit and compete with steam but that's not why it exists. Its there to Dump the cash fortnight makes back into the company to grow the stock and make money for the C-suite execs that get payed in stock r so they don't have to pay dividends.

Generic

It's been so many years, and the store has barely improved in features. Their free games are getting weaker. There are less exclusive games being bought. The Trello roadmap seems to be abandoned. They just had their EGS sale, but this time there was no cupon. I believe it's the first time this has happened. And they are still ignore by many big publishers, unless Epic is throwing tons of money at them.

I'm having a hard time sending how this store will evolve from here.
"And they are still ignore by many big publishers"

Anti-consumer companies who don't want to give consumers the choice of buying games in the store with the lowest prices in the market.

The Epic free games are the only good deals in gaming at present, when even sales are marked up garbage I can't buy with good conscience.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The problem is their approach. Epic store literally offers no real value to anyone.

Cheaper fees? Itch io has it covered, where devs literally choose how much they give away to the store and can freely post their game and customize their page. Its the to-go low cost PC storefront for devs. Attracting costumers with discount cupons and freebies? Pointless. The main currency costumers have to consider for games nowadays isn't as much money as it is time.

Epic should've gone the GOG route and offered a store whose main appeal is the ability to ignore the store altogether. They wouldn't even have to force games to be DRM-free or anything, just an infrasctructure for payment/download that sells installers.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Epic Games Store is so trash it lacks basic achievement funcionality for most releases, on Steam every game from the past 12 years has achievements and a community board.

The only thing good about Epic is that it offers the best deals of any online store, and it's sales are better than on Steam thanks to Epic cupons and rewards program.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I want competition in this space but Epic has to come with the big guns, when you don't even have features of steams early years wtf are you guys doing as a company? After all these years I bought Alan Wake 2 only with the coupon that let me get the complete edition for 35 bucks with the DLC.

Said it before and I'll say it again, if they put even a 1/3 of that money they put into whining about Apple in federal court into a User Experience team they'd be a lot better off.

Pejo

9f8.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
IDK, I bit and got AW Remastered for very very cheap but damn is it a piece of shit of a store, and they dare to compare with steam, it's like wanting to brag to your Ferrari owner neighbor that you also have an amazing car and all you got are chasis of an Aveo, then claiming "seats are next, you just wait!"

MiguelItUp

Even if it were just for Fortnite, they're going to continue to go "somewhere" as long as it continues to make money. I'm just surprised they haven't made any progress or big steps for the launcher. I keep reading there were/are plans, but nothing happens, lmao.

simpatico

It's already surpassed Uplay, EA Origin and the GamePass app. Still not great, but somehow lapped all these industry vets. Including the motherfuckers who INVENTED WINDOWS.

MayauMiao

I only got it because of free Death Stranding. Never use it for anything else and pretty much sitting there doing nothing.

Steam is the only platform I use.

RayHell

I was using their store for a while to hoard free games that I will never play. After few years without notifying me they decided my username was no longer good because I used hell in the name "btw i'm using the same username on steam since 2006" They gave some shitty random username. So yeah this pretty much sums up what is Epic Game store. Trying hard to be the worst experience.

Larxia

Now that Kingdom Hearts is finally free of the epic chains, I just don't care anymore lol (unless they come back at it). Kingdom Hearts and Tony Hawk were the two games that made it so frustrating for me, but they are finally both on Steam, no more reason to be depressed by the awful EGS, thankfully.
It seems like the exclusives are getting weaker, but who knows, they could still be annoying again with various stuff.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I'm sure They would love the EPIC store to turn a profit and compete with steam but that's not why it exists. Its there to Dump the cash fortnight makes back into the company to grow the stock and make money for the C-suite execs that get payed in stock r so they don't have to pay dividends.
I thought it existed (and continues to exist) so Tencent can try to edge Steam out and be the main storefront on Windows. I still think that's the long term goal.

Gp1

I still log in at least a week to get the freebies and It was my primary supplier of Ubisoft/EA games for sometime. Since you have to deal with another shitty clients (one way or another) and their sales discount are usually steeper than Steam...

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
They were never going to get anyone to use EGS over Steam unless they gave every single game away. Everyone's PC library is on Steam. EGS needs to reposition itself. As what, I don't know.

I have 130 free games on EGS, and I've never played one.

I don't really know what to think about Steam. Obviously it has a good system, but if EGS cannot make a dent, can STEAM be argued to be anti-competitive?

Larxia

Same. Storefront Wars are Retarded.
For you maybe, but don't take your case for a universal thing. As far as I'm concerned it really bothers me when I'm playing something outside of steam, and if I have to, I'll always try to add it as a non-steam shortcut so I can use the steam overlay and such.

I have steam open all the time, it's basically my desktop lol It's where I chat text the most with my friends, more than discord actually, it's where I have all my games, I use the different features on the platform, it's just a really great experience and I like having everything there on my account / profile. I don't see what's retarded about it.

Top Bottom