• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Tales of Hearts any good?

SantaC

I heard the original DS version was good, but sadly it never came to the west. There was a translation project, but it was abandoned.

But what about the Tales of Hearts R version for vita? How does it stack up against the rest of the Tales games?

Furball

1. Gameplay is typical tales game . Not really anything special compare to other tales , not as good as those console tales like Grace F or Xillia , better than alot of pre ps3 tales combat , dont has much side content

2. Music is meh like all other tales game except few

3. Story and characters is questionable and insult intelligent , definitely one of the worst story written in tales series which already has mediorce story

Last edited:

SantaC

1. Gameplay is typical tales game . Not really anything special compare to other tales , not as good as those console tales like Grace F or Xillia , better than alot of pre ps3 tales combat , dont has much side content

2. Music is meh like all other tales game except few

3. Story and characters is questionable and insult intelligent , definitely one of the worst story written in tales series which already has mediorce story
Cant be worse than Zestiria

Shouta

DS version is very good but the Vita version is really vanilla because of the way they remade it. I liked the new character though.

I think the Vita version looks pretty ugly; or rather, it lost all its charms going from 2D to 3D.

Combat is very good (first Tales I played that used the AP system instead of SP, like Graces and Destiny R).

Localization is atrocious. Voice acting is on the same level as Eternia (i.e. terrible), and the translators just randomly changed the characters' personalities because they thought it would fit them better; I blame a lot of what Furball said on the story and characters on that.

At this point I'd rather learn Japanese from scratch to play the original DS version, than touch that terrible excuse for a remake again.

I liked it! It was my first Vita game and while the graphics are mobile tier, the music is generic (fucking fire Sakuraba already!), the gameplay was good with some cool ideas, the character interactions/skits/quests were good (you know the best thing about Tales of and it's Heart and Soul).

That said the story is simple and straight forward (Shing causes Kohaku's Soma to shatter to many pieces thus making her a walking vegetable and he vows to fix it), and the localization OMG renaming Shing Metorite to Cor Meteor, Jap VA only (which fantastic IMO but i feel sorry for dub fans) and various other issues.

Play it.

Top Bottom