• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Shenmue 1&2 for consoles fixed?

93xfan

Banned
Was thinking about picking it up the series X for $6. Didn’t play the original, but am hesitant as I heard it was a lousy port at launch.

Is it fixed, or still a bit of a mess? Thanks!

SteadyEvo

Remember playing 1 a few years ago. Aside from the controls being extremely dated I had no issue.

Shenmue hasn’t aged well and going back may tarnish the fond memories you have of it.

I played it on PS4 Pro, dont rememeber any issues. Anyway, maybe the nostalgia will kick in for the first one but S2, looks like a jumbled mess of an open world, I found it so boring compared to the first. You gotta rememeber these are the earliest stages of open world games, havent aged well at all. Smaller scale S1 feels better because its not trying to do too many things at once but yeah as they say: curb your expectations. Especially if you played games like Yakuza or Judgement which literally are in every way upgraded versions of what Shenmue represented, story included.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think it played any worse on One X than it did on Dreamcast. It was never the best controlling game.

BryceNobody

There weren’t any issues on console that I can recall. Gameplay’s dated, but not the remaster’s fault. Solid ports.

Now if you wanna talk about the horrendous pacing in Shenmue II, that’s a whole different conversation.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

Yeah, or as fixed as it's ever gonna get at least. I remember one of the most annoying issues at launch was that a good chunk of the music in Shenmue II was broken because it wasn't playing the MIDI files correctly but that was mostly fixed from what I can tell.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Audio is still quite crap. Voices seems to have gone through a bit of a muffler. Compressed and then just amplified thus amplifying noise too (and causing it to clip) compared to the Dreamcast version; you can notice the speech clips / pops quite a bit and it is very irritating.

Quite terrible in both Japanese and English voice overs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom