• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Little Big Planet the worst platformer ever designed?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I owned Little Big Planet when it released on PS3, quickly realized that the controls/physics are flat out awful, didn't play it much.

Bought LBP 2 for cheap as hell a few years back, quickly realized that the platforming/physics are the same as the first, didn't play it much.

Got LBP 3 for Christmas this morning. Wife doesn't know what games to buy, lol, thought it might be fun 2 player. We booted it up and after like 5 minutes she was like, "Ummmm, why are the controls so bad..."

So Gaf, surely I can't be the only one who finds no enjoyment whatsoever with the LBP series? I'm honestly floored that they stuck with the same mechanics for so long. It's fun exploring the user created levels but they're all the same; Terrible physics and the controls are just a nightmare.

Merry Christmas!

edit- I should add, I judge it so harshly cause it's a Sony first-party game and Sack Boy is/was Sony's mascot for a bit. Probably still is in a way. For something with so much talent/weight behind it, I think the core gameplay mechanics are just flat-out unacceptable.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't think they're terrible. I find them rather simple, it is mostly aimed at kids and I found the controls rather accessible but each to their own.
Definitely accessible but everything just feels so imprecise. I just can't approach it in a serious manner cause the movement feels sloppy as hell. It's honestly like I'm playing an OCEAN game on the NES. Home Alone and Hook come to mind.

Nickolaidas

Controls felt sluggish. My kid nephew didn't like the game because while artistically it was right up his alley, the controls were too complicated and sluggish for him. He was way young back then, but I think that for a kiddie game, it had way too quirky controls. Running on 30 fps didn't do the games any favors, either.

So yeah, I agree. While I wanted to really love that IP, the controls ruined it for me.

Last edited:
LBP isn't awful and definitely not the worst platformer ever made, but if you've ever touched a really good platformer it becomes obvious that it's a bit of a mess. Floaty and slow to respond is about as kind as I'm willing to be towards the game. I was very excited to play this when I bought my PS3 but in the end the gameplay just wasn't great and I moved on pretty quickly. While I enjoy making shit in games (I have been living in the Forza livery editor for over a decade now) it means nothing if I can't enjoy what I made.

squarealex

I owned Little Big Planet when it released on PS3, quickly realized that the controls/physics are flat out awful, didn't play it much.

Bought LBP 2 for cheap as hell a few years back, quickly realized that the platforming/physics are the same as the first, didn't play it much.

Got LBP 3 for Christmas this morning. Wife doesn't know what games to buy, lol, thought it might be fun 2 player. We booted it up and after like 5 minutes she was like, "Ummmm, why are the controls so bad..."

So Gaf, surely I can't be the only one who finds no enjoyment whatsoever with the LBP series? I'm honestly floored that they stuck with the same mechanics for so long. It's fun exploring the user created levels but they're all the same; Terrible physics and the controls are just a nightmare.

Merry Christmas!

edit- I should add, I judge it so harshly cause it's a Sony first-party game and Sack Boy is/was Sony's mascot for a bit. Probably still is in a way. For something with so much talent/weight behind it, I think the core gameplay mechanics are just flat-out unacceptable.
i say

KNACK

NonPhixion

1&2 were great. Can't say anything about 3 as I never played it when it came out 7 years ago.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i only like little big planet 2 because there is a Star girl.

eba

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Not the worst platformer but LBP is in the general area. Horrid series.

I think a different dev made the Avdenture game so its probably better based on that alone.

Wasn't a different dev than the previous LBP game. Sumo Digital made both LBP 3 and Sackboy's Adventure.

Last edited:

yurinka

Is Little Big Planet the worst platformer ever designed?​

No, it was probably the platformer with the best game design of its generation. Very innovative, creative and influential. Even Nintendo went to copy stuff from it.

Its physics were good, but the jumping (a small part of the design of a game like Little Big Planet) felt pretty floaty because they decided to do it in that way, with less 'gravity' than traditional, standard platformers that don't use physics, like Mario and so on.

I have heard that game is amazing. I plan on getting it at some point.
It may not be a goty contender but it's a very good and solid game. Quality kids friendly stuff.

Last edited:

RCU005

The games are not terrible in any way, in fact the complete opposite. They are amazing, have incredible music and they're very charming.

The controls? Hell yeah!! Worst controls ever for any platformer. Who the hell thought making Sackboy so floaty would be a good idea? Why were there THREE games with the same horrible controls? I'll never know!

I haven't played Sackboy A Big Adventure for PS5 yet, but I hope it doesn't have those floaty, horrible controls.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
It was a bad platformer but not the worst. Also, Celeste is overrated trash.
Celeste is a very tough and unforgiving platformer. It is not everyone's cup of tea...I lost interest after about 4-5 hours because it felt like hard grafting. But the story is special and the precision of it is admirable.

It is not trash.

Yoboman

Early Sony PS3 games really struggled for good controls. Its kinda weird cause all their PS2 games generally controlled well and later PS3 games did too. But games in that 2006-2008 period generally had some ass controls

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Celeste is a very tough and unforgiving platformer. It is not everyone's cup of tea...I lost interest after about 4-5 hours because it felt like hard grafting. But the story is special and the precision of it is admirable.

It is not trash.
I didn't find it too hard. It was just unexciting and I found the characters and story to be bad.

Top Bottom