• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dying Light 2 good now, or not?

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
It’s always going on sale and they seem to have a big new update that introduces guns and a few other QOL changes.

I heard this game was no good, but that was when it first came out. It’s so hard to get a review of how the game is now. Anybody know?

SHA

I bought the first one cause of Mirror's Edge actually, didn't hate it but it's one of the gray atmospheric games, an old trend.

Last edited:

Jesb

There’s a free weekend to try it. I’ve tried it and it seems like some good fun. Though it just looks like it’s trying to be dead island. Not too bad of a thing though.

KiteGr

I've only finished the first one, but I'm keeping a very close eye on the second one.

The second one turned out to be worse than the first. Their lead designer Chris Avellone got "Me to"ed mid development and got booted (He was later proven inocent, but it was to late), and then his abscenced showed up in the final product and the deferences and missing futures with the earlier trailers. It tried to go for a modern medieval age look, but whithout their lead designer they didn't know how to implement that feeling properly, and the final product ended up looking more cartoony, a bit unfinished and generally worse than the first one.
All the recent updates tried to make the game look and feel more like the first one, slowlly adding missing futures such as finishers, make the nighttime hard again by re-introducing roaming volatiles, ironning out bugs, adding filter options that remove some of the cartoonishness, fixing/improving the parkoor, and with the most recent update, fixing many of the cartoony graphics (mostly the standard zombies), fixing some locations that where very copy-pasted (not all of them) and introducing firearms.

IMO it still needs some more time in the oven, and I'm not sure about some of the new futures:
  • A whole zone from the inicial phase is still missing, and fans are trying to recreate it with mods.
  • I'm skeptic about the re-introduction of fire-arms. In the first game, finding a single fire-arm was a big deal and it happens much later in the game. Besides, this game is supposed medieval themed and their absence are part of the game's theme, as they are supposed to be extinct. I expected them to introduce them ideally in some expansion, perhaps one that adds the third missing zone Elysium, where there could be a situations where you can find functioning fire arms, and be able to return with them to old areas, while keeping the melee theme in the early game.
  • The ability to give nights the propper amount of darkness like the first game is hidden in the options behind filters. Otherwise the nights are very bright. That means that they are not designed to be played with the dark filter, nor you are getting any special achivement for playing on hard mode.
  • The flashling is still shit.
  • The night chace mini-game is still there.
  • It feels they are trying to turn the game like the first when it was not intended to be.
  • I don't care about the live service shit, like halloween and christmas content, or addon outfits from other games that take you out of the experience. I hated them in my complete edition DL1 where I oppened my inventory just to find a golden fucking gun, as much as I hated in the Tomb Rider Complete editions where Lara strugling to survive making a makeshift bow, just to find some add-on Uzi and 10 late game tribal outfits sitting in her stash.
Personaly, I'm waiting for a propper expansion to then get the complete edition.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
The game is awesome. Played it at launch and loved everything except the final boss. Jump in.

Looks like there’s a free weekend on Steam.
This. I really enjoyed my play through. Should jump back in, but my backlog is insane with no signs of letting up.

Hugare

I havent played it in a long time and they've added a BUNCH of stuff with post release patches, but the game at release was really good, just not DL 1 good.

The story is pretty bad, and the atmosphere is completely different from the first game, but the parkour is the best in any game and the combat is really fun. Story may suck, but its entertaining enough with some good missions and characters.

I say go for it. Its well worth your time.

DeaDPo0L84

It was always a good game, just lacked a few touches that made the first game special. It has also been updated quite a bit since launch so I'm sure the experience then versus now would be drastically different. If you have a friend to play with it will multiply the potential fun to be had.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oh shit this thread just reminded me there’s a free weekend on Steam.

Been wanting to try it, but I doubt it’s as good as Dead Island 2

consoul

Is it good? Yeah...

Is it great? No.
It's alright, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go out of their way to play it. You're not really missing anything by not playing it.

xrnzaaas

The technical side of the game was greatly improved, but the game itself is still very mediocre. The city and the atmosphere from the first game were way better, the nights stopped being a threat (maybe they've tweaked it, dunno) and too many quests are boring fillers.

Replaying DL1 again or playing Dead Island 2 are better ideas imo. Sure DI2 is a game with significantly lower production values, but it's good fun focused on zombies instead of remaining humans and that's what I expect from games like this.

Ribi

It wasn't even bad when it dropped. It's considered a good game. Not great but good, coop recommended

Js562

Yes right now it is. I played it last night in co-op and it felt better than before. The recent update made it much better and it's on sale too

I thought it was fun a few months back when I reinstalled it. I wish it was crossplay because I'd love to play it co-op, but all my buddies don't really game on PC.

S0ULZB0URNE

I am thinking of getting it on PC as I saw pictures of a mod that looked incredible a couple years ago.
I don't know the mod name so I am not sure if I will.

I tried it for the free weekend and I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or the game is just bland but nothing about the story intrigues me. I found myself skipping dialogue and cutscenes in the intro sequence. All I wanted to do was get to the game proper and see if it holds up compared to the first game which I rather enjoyed.

digdug2

I bought the first one cause of Mirror's Edge actually, didn't hate it but it's one of the gray atmospheric games, an old trend.
I bought the first one because GameStop's website had a glitch that gave you the full game for free if you bought the DLC for $19.99 back when the game released. GameStop at that point had stuck it to me a few times, so it felt kind of nice sticking it back. They fixed the glitch but still honored the sale.

Venuspower

I already had a lot of fun with the game on release. The mission in the VNC was absolutely epic. So I can absolutely recommend the game. Even though I liked Dying Light 1 and Dying Light The Following better.

Top Bottom