• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a watch jewelry?

TheMan

Yes. If you already have a convenient clock on your phone, in your pocket... getting an additional clock/watch to wear on your wrist means you probably want attention.

That's pretty much how I feel about it nowadays. There are niche cases where a watch as a practical tool is still important, but I would bet that for the vast majority of people who still wear timepieces, they are jewelry.

regawdless

Banned
A buddy of mine works in the jewelry industry got me a good deal, considering there's only 25 pieces in existence.

Nice, congrats! I was stunned by the size of these watches, 49mm is mighty big.

I really like how Breitling is evolving, they have some very nice pieces.

danowat

Banned
I have a Heuer Monaco as my going out watch, and a Tudor NF as my daily beater, the Tudor isn't jewellery, it's a tool, it's not flashy, it's just a fairly plain St St 3 hander, I am not convinced the Monaco is either, because I brought it because of the history behind it, not just because it looks good..

Cyberpunkd

I have a Heuer Monaco as my going out watch, and a Tudor NF as my daily beater, the Tudor isn't jewellery, it's a tool, it's not flashy, it's just a fairly plain St St 3 hander, I am not convinced the Monaco is either, because I brought it because of the history behind it, not just because it looks good..
Great choices!

The thing is most people do not give a damn and do not notice no matter the watch you wear - this is a conversation piece only if the person you are speaking with is also into watches.

Fbh

I guess an expensive watch form a well known brand might be. Though I still wouldn't put it on the same tier as say a ring or necklace since it still has a more practical use
But I'd say something like a $15 Casio watch is more like a tool.

I do like wearing watches though. I'm just used to it and it's easier than checking your phone.
Have a Tissot, it's way more expensive than what I'd personally spend on a watch, but I got it as a present and I really like it.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Jewelry

How-to-wear-a-pocket-watch.jpg

Not Jewelry
FS101012_800x_db1515c4-b61a-4f1c-b6d6-6c266bea5fc6_1024x1024.jpg

Jewelry
5de34500813a69aaca5519ca-large.jpg

Not Jewelry
61NjDfFNsdL._AC_UX522_.jpg
Pretty much this. It depends on what the watch is made of. If it's gold or if it has some sort of valuables on it (gems, diamonds, etc.), it's considered jewelry.
My Casio calculator watch is obviously not jewelry.

johntown

Banned
I think it depends on what is in the watch. TAG Heuer watches use sapphire, some watches have diamonds in them. I think if it has a precious gem involved it is jewelry. If no gems involved then it is not.

Top Bottom